PDA

View Full Version : Olympic recurve and/or barebow as such (ILF's & FITA etc.) in FL

Jeff Burris
August 10th, 2010, 12:04 AM
On the side, now, I do still enjoy relatively traditional archery via my wood/black glass takedown recurve + a homemade maple one-piece long/selfbow still in the works, even :)
But Olympic recurve or even barebow ILF type (unless camo etc.) is a lonely sport, it seems, in the Tampa Bay area. I look forward to seeing some goings ons in Newberry... are there any brethren (or sisters) in the area?
Would just like to know if I'm missing out on any events that aren't the main, rare ones listed on the big huge sites only.
& would like to meet up & shoot + discuss this particular, not-so-hunting-oriented type of gear with someone now and then under either pretense... hanging out with a single other living soul with a Sure-Loc on their metal riser would be a first. I'm actually not doing that bad on my own, lol, and luckily have a long, skinny rectangle of an acre called Home (+ targets) :)
Thanks!
Jeff -- North Tampa (Odessa).
P.S.
The wife likes to spectate when she's not joining in with her fiberglass Red Bear she's happy with at 10 yards ;P

JuniorsOutdoor
August 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
You mentioned Newberry, and you are probably aware, but the state Fita is the 21-22 of this month. Just don't want to take for granted that you know about it. The FAA events are the only regular events that I know of that have an Olympic Recurve division. And you are right, it does seem like a lonely division. I've shot Bowhunter Freestyle until recently and even that is becoming a little lonely.

toxoph
August 18th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Yes, The State FITA is this weekend. I shoot Olympic Recurve and will be shooting in it. I have been out of the sport for a few years but plan on shooting more. I see you are aware of the Gator Cup in Oct. There is also a FAA State Target in Newberry in Oct, go to the FAA site for details.

Olympic Recurve is lonely in FL but there are good shooters here that occasionally show up. In Tampa there are a few I know of. Guy is from there, not sure of his shooting status though, used to shoot at Arrowhead Archery shop a lot. A good friend of mine, Ken, lives there and is an excellent Olympic shooter.

Vic Wunderle will shoot some events when his schedule allows, mostly when in the Ft Lauderdale area and there are several good Olympic shooters in the Lauderdale club.

I believe with the addition of the Newberry Easton training center, we will see more shooters in the future. I was there this last weekend for a youth summer camp and 17 kids attended. ALL very serious about competing.

If you come out this weekend, look me up

Archer N FL
August 24th, 2010, 11:28 AM
im here in the orlando area. i shoot Olympic Recurve.. im looking for some people to talk to and practice with.. i dont mind drving an hour to shoot if im not doing it alone LOL.