PDA

View Full Version : Elk hunters when and what....

silentassassin
August 14th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Elk hunters if you were going pick 14 days to hunt, which 14 days would it be and why? Also, if you guys are packing in on horseback for this long, how many pairs of socks, underwear, pants, and shirts are you taking? Thanks for the info, it is appreciated!

highcountry68
August 14th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Sept 12th, to the 25th. You will hit the heart of the rut in there somewhere.Dont scrimp on socks, your feet are your most important assett's out there.Plan for two pair a day if not more, and if room, and weight is an issue due laundry every 3rd or 4th day.Hope this helps, good luck!

MarksExtra
August 14th, 2010, 06:36 PM
definately the last two weeks of the season. So this year in colorado that would be Sept12-26th. It's been my experience that the bulls could be bugleing best in either week. Some years it was the third week. Some years it was the fourth/last week. You never know.

As far as clothes go. I usually just go the clothes store and buy a brand new pack of sock, underwear, and t-shirts before I go. If you're going to pack in. Take the whole pack of socks underwear and t-shirts. It gets hot in the afternoon so your tshirts won't last from you sweating in them. Socks will get wet in the mornings and sweaty by afternoon. The only thing you could save on would be pants. That's just my opinion.

ElkFetish
August 14th, 2010, 07:02 PM
There is a lot that goes into that decision for me. Depends on what you are after. Any bull, big bull, lots of bugling?

The nice thing about early season is that big bulls are often looking for cows early and many of the biggest bulls are taken earlier on. They aren't herded up yet so you can call them to bow range easier. Plus if you hunt public land they are less suspicious because they haven't been called to by every Tom, Dick, and Harry. The negative to early season is that sometimes that bulls are still in their summer routine and are way higher than the main herds and are more work to get to. Sometimes, depending on weather and moon they just aren't interested.

Most of my bulls have bee killed from the 15th-19th so I would personally incorporate that time in there for sure.

Moon phase is a big part of my decision. I would say in general that I like the 12th-25th range but this year the moon is awful and hunting will be harder during the latter part of this time. I am thinking very hard about heading up the 7th. The weather will likely be the final factor for me. I hate hunting in severe heat.

I use merino wool socks and a quick wash in the stream gets me multiple uses a trip. You can never take too many socks so don't scrimp as they are as important as anything.

silentassassin
August 14th, 2010, 07:08 PM
thanks for the info guys! Please keep it coming!

ELKhuntR
August 14th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Here is the calendar for September.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y7/PhotoZone/Picture5.png

09Dreamseason
August 14th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Rut will be going strong the last 2 weeks, but they will be doing a majority of it at night!

Concentrate on the first 2 weeks while the moon is small. Don't call too much unless you hear them call first. Then do it very little! If they're not calling then you shouldn't be calling......

take a pair of socks for each day and a couple of extras! comfort for all of the walking you're going to do is essential.

09Dreamseason
August 14th, 2010, 07:57 PM
The pre-rut stage is excellent because the bulls are moving and starting to group some cows. They will be a little more agressive at this stage. Days will be warm in most cases so they will be moving from water in the mornings and to their beds mid morning until afternoon. Find their beds and stalk in close or find their travel corridors and staging areas before dark and get them with their guard down a little. Check the wind and make your stalk work.

slickstalker
August 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Begin Sept. 9th or 10th. Got to be there the 10th.

silentassassin
August 14th, 2010, 08:06 PM
How about next year? the full moon is on the 13th nest year? How would that change your choice? I'm not goint til next year I'm just a bit of a planner:tongue:

5MilesBack
August 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I guess I like less pressured elk early more than the possibility of screaming elk later. I'd pick the second and third week, but most likely wouldn't need the third week.;)

Packing in.......two pair of everything. If it needs washing, wash one pair while you're wearing the other.;)

silentassassin
August 14th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I guess I like less pressured elk early more than the possibility of screaming elk later. I'd pick the second and third week, but most likely wouldn't need the third week.;)

Packing in.......two pair of everything. If it needs washing, wash one pair while you're wearing the other.;)

Thanks 5miles, I appreciate it!

Muliefever
August 14th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Honestly, because of the moon phase this year... We are hunting the first two weeks of the season. I love the 2nd and 3rd weeks of September. But, I hunt the moon phases!! I agree that the rut will be going on strong towards the end of the month. However, most activety will be after dark...

silentassassin
August 14th, 2010, 09:37 PM
I am glad I posted this. I don't like to hunt whitetails the week of the full moon, at least I don't plan a trip that week. I still hunt at home but I don't go on a hunt that week. My years of experience of setting daylight til dark essentially the entire month of Nov. has left me with little confidence of having a good hunting the week of the full moon. I didn't realize it was equally as important with elk hunting. From what I have read, I was leaning toward attempting to catch the week before they herd up and try to catch some bulls coming in quietly while they are a little less pressured and still coming to calls and then hunt the following week which should produce some good bugling action that will allow me to locate them verbally and move to them and be a little more aggressive as my hunt comes to a close. (that's is preliminary thinking though it may change multiple times between now and then) However, the full moon falling on the 13th next year leaves me wondering when to plan for. What say the experts?

da white shoe
August 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I am glad I posted this. I don't like to hunt whitetails the week of the full moon, at least I don't plan a trip that week. I still hunt at home but I don't go on a hunt that week. My years of experience of setting daylight til dark essentially the entire month of Nov. has left me with little confidence of having a good hunting the week of the full moon. I didn't realize it was equally as important with elk hunting. From what I have read, I was leaning toward attempting to catch the week before they herd up and try to catch some bulls coming in quietly while they are a little less pressured and still coming to calls and then hunt the following week which should produce some good bugling action that will allow me to locate them verbally and move to them and be a little more aggressive as my hunt comes to a close. (that's is preliminary thinking though it may change multiple times between now and then) However, the full moon falling on the 13th next year leaves me wondering when to plan for. What say the experts?

I will just chime in here and say that I've had some awesome elk hunting when the moon was full. They may not go all day, but if you're on 'em at day break, your hunt could be over in a hurry!

silentassassin
August 14th, 2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks again! So the questions remains, which two weeks for next year?

ken l
August 14th, 2010, 11:16 PM
we will be there for three weeks,Colo

seasidehunter
August 14th, 2010, 11:19 PM
well, I don't have a choice -- I drew the first season in New Mexico

Sept 1-15 so that's when I'm going. probably a little prerut , which is not as good, but I will be first in the woods, maybe that is good.

I am backpacking and will take several pairs of socks even if I have to wash them with gametank water......

probably 2 sets of clothes, not sure yet.

5MilesBack
August 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM
I will just chime in here and say that I've had some awesome elk hunting when the moon was full.

Yep. The easiest elk hunt I've ever had had everything going against it.......full moon the night before opening day, not a cloud in the sky, hotter than hades, dry as a bone, and he came a running to me bugling all the way. So I shot him at 0720 opening morning.

kaj4
August 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
as many socks as you can pack. 12th-26th don"t forget unsented baby wipes!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

coloradodave
August 15th, 2010, 12:41 AM
If I were to hunt private land or a ranch (maybe even a draw only unit), it would be the last two weeks. Public land (which I always hunt), it would be the first two weeks. I don't care to hunt elk that have been pressured all season. Most of my kills have been the end of the first week, into the second week of the season.

ElkFetish
August 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Thanks again! So the questions remains, which two weeks for next year?

Some of the hardest rutting activity I have seen happens when the full moon occurs around the 15th of the month. Next year should be crazy but the moon is full during the night so most of the activity will be then. Like someone else mentioned, the key to hunting elk with a moon at night is to be in ready to get on them before daylight. They will play but usually for a shorter period of time. I have killed 4 bulls with full moons at night. They were all am kills and I was up early to get where I needed to be before they started moving. Sometimes an intercept strategy is required if they have to move and long ways to bed as well.

HTH,

silentassassin
August 15th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Lots of good info! Much appreciated!

ELKhuntR
August 15th, 2010, 09:27 AM
get some good base layers! Key to going hard, sweating, base layering and wicking moisture and helping your overall stink!! check out Polarmax, Under Armour, First Lite and Sitka.

gselkhunter
August 15th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Interesting replies. Things can and have been very vocal in the first two weeks in the past. There a lot of things that have to happen to trigger this, temp is the biggest factor. And I have killed the largest portion of my elk in the first two weeks. I have killed elk in the last two weeks but it is a different type of hunt than the first two weeks. They are talking more in the last two weeks without a doubt but there are a lot more eyes, ears and noses together. I see more big bulls in the last two weeks because they tell you where they are. They don't want to leave their cows and all the satellites running around can sure screw you up. But it is magic when all the screaming is going all day long. I don't have to pick I get to be out for all of it.
I not so sure you need more than 6 pair of socks[if that many] but you will need to wash out socks, shirts and underwear daily. They make some good concentrate soap for doing that, that works well in cold water[stream water]. As much as having clean clothes to wear I clean me at least once a day. A little hot water and soap makes you feel better after a day of beating yourself trying to keep up with elk. Don't forget to eat and drink a lot of water.

300club
August 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM
I would have to say i agree with everything said here... Nice to see some smart hunters out there... the key is to just be out there... NOT back in camp.. I dont tell other camps around me this , but ill put it out there....... One thing ive been doing this last few years is this... When theres the moons up and bright at night... yes be there and be on top of them at daybreak... if you dont suckseed dont push them too hard... Of course Dont get Busted!! let them bed down, they have been up all night trying to kill one another... they will be wanting to bed buy about 7:30.. just lay low for a few hours, dont bugle dont call. even if they are a little.. then about 10:30 even 11:00 when everything has benn quiet for awhile and theyve got some rest... start giving it to them.. youde be surprised how many good bugle sesions that weve had at that time while everyone else is back at camp...and have produced a few good bull this way too... Now like i said... I dont tell other people around me this so if youre hunting buy me, You must not use this info ,and you must be back haveing Breakfast when Im out hunting....:wink: Good luck everyone, hunt hard ,,, enjoy your presious time out there, and be safe, But most of all have fun doing it all....!

silentassassin
August 15th, 2010, 10:17 AM
gse, which soap do you recommend?

300, thanks! I alreay hunt all day whitetail hunting. No way am I gonna walk 3 or 4 hours just to hang out for a while and then walk back! My hunting partner is the same way. We will take snack bars and a sandwhich and eat on the mountain and nap if it's slow. We are planning on taking a primus stove and living off off Mountain House in the evenings and cliff bars and peanut butter sandwhiches during the day. We are doing a no frills hunt. For us, like many, the fun is in the hunting not in having a great meal at camp. It may evovle into that one day and the will be fine but for the time being we're both hungry for our first kill. So there won't be any setting around camp until that has been accomplished. It's great to hear all of the opinions of the different hunters!

300club
August 15th, 2010, 10:27 AM
you bet.... i guess its a little different where i hunt... theres pretty good access, so where not really packing in anywhere that if i want to be out of there i can get out in no more then 2 hours.... Wish i had the money to do a big pack in trip like that though... it would be great, allways been a dream of mine, so im a little envious of ya... we do pretty good though as far as elk, my partner and i have taken 33 bulls in the last 21 years.. But Man the wolves are really putting a wrecking ball out there....and its gonna get worse for us too.. anyway,, have fun..

ELKhuntR
August 15th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I also got a Primus this year. Have one of those and two Brunton's. A good stove goes a long ways.

Consider throwing in a few bananas. Both throw in two. It's perfect with the peanut butter, and it adds some fiber and potasium to your diet, and helps with leg cramps.

gse, which soap do you recommend?

300, thanks! I alreay hunt all day whitetail hunting. No way am I gonna walk 3 or 4 hours just to hang out for a while and then walk back! My hunting partner is the same way. We will take snack bars and a sandwhich and eat on the mountain and nap if it's slow. We are planning on taking a primus stove and living off off Mountain House in the evenings and cliff bars and peanut butter sandwhiches during the day. We are doing a no frills hunt. For us, like many, the fun is in the hunting not in having a great meal at camp. It may evovle into that one day and the will be fine but for the time being we're both hungry for our first kill. So there won't be any setting around camp until that has been accomplished. It's great to hear all of the opinions of the different hunters!

gselkhunter
August 15th, 2010, 10:33 AM
I been using a product called Sport Wash for my clothes. For me I have two and both are made by HS; the bar soap is not bad if weight and space is a problem[a little hard on your hair] but I like the liquid better. Here is a little trick; most like a wash clothes for the sponge bathes your take at camp, use your socks[wash you and them at the same time] then just rinse and hang to dry.
If your like me, I sweat pretty hard sometimes. I carry scent away wipes as well as spray[helps cool me down and remove some stink]. Use the wipe put it in a separate baggy and then wash it with your clothes. Let it dry spray it with scent away, now it is ready to use again and put it back in the package. I save money anywhere I can.

silentassassin
August 15th, 2010, 10:52 AM
you bet.... i guess its a little different where i hunt... theres pretty good access, so where not really packing in anywhere that if i want to be out of there i can get out in no more then 2 hours.... Wish i had the money to do a big pack in trip like that though... it would be great, allways been a dream of mine, so im a little envious of ya... we do pretty good though as far as elk, my partner and i have taken 33 bulls in the last 21 years.. But Man the wolves are really putting a wrecking ball out there....and its gonna get worse for us too.. anyway,, have fun..

Wow! Sounds like you guys have been quite successul!!!! It depends on the areas we are hunting, but I think 3-4 hours would be on the far end of our ride/walk. I have heard the wolves can wreck a hunt....I guess it's just a cance we gotta take:angry:

Consider throwing in a few bananas. Both throw in two. It's perfect with the peanut butter, and it adds some fiber and potasium to your diet, and helps with leg cramps. Will do! I like bananas anyway!!

I been using a product called Sport Wash for my clothes. For me I have two and both are made by HS; the bar soap is not bad if weight and space is a problem[a little hard on your hair] but I like the liquid better. Here is a little trick; most like a wash clothes for the sponge bathes your take at camp, use your socks[wash you and them at the same time] then just rinse and hang to dry.
If your like me, I sweat pretty hard sometimes. I carry scent away wipes as well as spray[helps cool me down and remove some stink]. Use the wipe put it in a separate baggy and then wash it with your clothes. Let it dry spray it with scent away, now it is ready to use again and put it back in the package. I save money anywhere I can. Great info! I use the sport wash too. Good stuff!

176"buck
August 15th, 2010, 10:53 AM
A lot depends on your hunting area.The guys are dead on with rut peaking 10th-25th. But,the area I hunt has been gettin vacated to the neighboring ranches by the 15th so I've been forced to adapt also.We've been having good luck the 1st 2 weeks ,You just hunt a little different.Good luck.

pybowhtr
August 15th, 2010, 11:11 AM
If I were to hunt private land or a ranch (maybe even a draw only unit), it would be the last two weeks. Public land (which I always hunt), it would be the first two weeks. I don't care to hunt elk that have been pressured all season. Most of my kills have been the end of the first week, into the second week of the season.

I hunt public land also and have tried all weeks but first 2 weeks have been most successful for me. Once guides show up with muzzleloaders ,they will ride horses right into herd of elk that I am trying to hunt and run them over the mountain.Unpressured elk are much easier to hunt.good luck.