PDA

View Full Version : Hard horn in Arkansas!

d3coy_duck
August 26th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I saw my first hard horned but this morning at about 9AM. Anyone else seeing hard horn?

bigdoglanyards
August 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I had a trail cam pic 2 weeks ago that looked like he was shedding velvet...

talon1961
August 27th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I saw a really nice buck just outside of Fort Smith on HWY 22 with White, Hard, velvet free horns. He was with five others, and two of them were in velvet still, or at least had some velvet showing. That was this afternoon while on my way to Gelco's big sale! Oh, by the way, I saw Nathan Brooks, Chris Hacker, and Jim Pollard there and I got some really good deals!

arkiejim
August 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM
I saw one yesterday (8/27). It was a long distance away but the antlers where shining when he stepped out of the shadow

cptbrain
August 28th, 2010, 06:18 PM
GOt one on my trail cam. Still have a mix of velvet and hard horn.

huntindad
August 30th, 2010, 05:11 PM
All my pics are still showing velvet as of the 28th.

GoneUser1
August 31st, 2010, 11:37 AM
got one out of velvet on trail cam.

talon1961
September 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I've seen quite a few young bucks this week and all are still in velvet. I did see another really nice one in a firebreak on Camp Chaffee and it was out of velvet, and a really dark brown rack as well. It had some really good mass too.

LadyBowhunter63
September 8th, 2010, 12:28 PM
We saw a nice 8pt. Labor Day weekend with no velvet. Good looking deer, about 16" wide, but not really heavy. Made my heart pound!

huntindad
September 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Saturday the 4th, I had a mix of bucks. some still with and some without velvet.

talon1961
September 11th, 2010, 10:28 PM
I was doing a little scouting this morning and saw a pretty nice buck that was out of velvet. It had a really nice rack, but it was really small, probably around 100# or less. What's so strange is that I jumped it right next to a food plot that is a mix of wheat, oats, millet, and some type of pea (AGFC WMA). I was surprised at the size of the rack compared to the size of the deer. If it's just a 1 1/2 year old with that head gear, it will be a bruiser in a couple of years if it doesn't get killed during the youth hunt or the special WMA gun hunt. I'm pretty sure it will get a pass from me, unless the size was really deceiving, and the Rack was much larger than I thought. I have seen a total of 23 deer this week on my bus route, with only 2 hard horned bucks and 3 velvet clad ones. Some fawns still have their spots. It's going to be an interesting Nov. and Dec. this year with so many young born late. May still have some rutting activity through the end of Dec like a couple of years ago. it was the craziest Christmas hunt I've ever taken part in.

GoneUser1
September 13th, 2010, 04:24 PM
funy thing is, if you hit southeast arkansas, desha counties around chrismas its rut time most of the time. here in the west side its always a month earlier just about..

i will say the trees seem alot greener than usual. with a late november full moon. who knows