PDA

View Full Version : How long before broadheads dull????l

mattjroth
September 22nd, 2010, 01:37 PM
Wondering because i have shot 3 does this year so far( yes i have been having a good start)but the problem is i have not got a pass threw yet and 2 outta the 3 should have been. I believe im getting more than enough speed and kinectic energy.
Just in case im shootin a mathews hyperlite 28 draw 62lbs fmjs 400 cut at 26 1/2 using 100 grain grim reapers mech. the only thing on string is peep and 4 monkeytails n d loop.
After the last shot I took the grim reaper home and tryed to cut a piece of paper but it didnt cut at all. So imo i am thinking they were dull. Thats why i did not get a pass threw. Anybody please help. Thanks ahead of time

Easykeeper
September 22nd, 2010, 01:40 PM
Am I reading this right, you have shot three does with the same broadhead without resharpening it? If so, that is quite a testament to the broadhead. I would never reuse a broadhead without resharpening it first. I run them over a hone or strop after one shot into a target.

mattjroth
September 22nd, 2010, 01:44 PM
no it was three seperate grim reapers. But i either bought them at the end of 2 seasons ago or the beginning of last season. I did not check if they were sharp before shooting them.

ondavirg
September 22nd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I think you should replace the blades or resharpen after every shot, either on game or a target. If it's not scary sharp I wouldn't hunt with it.

pvbooner
September 22nd, 2010, 01:48 PM
If you are expecting to get a pass through on most shots you should probably go to a different broadhead. When I was shooting an expandable I only got one pass through. went coc and now it is the standard.

Easykeeper
September 22nd, 2010, 01:49 PM
no it was three seperate grim reapers. But i either bought them at the end of 2 seasons ago or the beginning of last season. I did not check if they were sharp before shooting them.

My apologies to you, I stand corrected. I will leave others with more experience on mechanicals to answer your question.

mattjroth
I went out and bout a new pack already but just wanted to be sure thats what it was.So with my set up i should have more than enough speed n KE right

SEOBowhntr
Re-sharpen the blades, makes sure you replace anything that is bent, and make sure that the opening mechanism is free of debris that will hinder it's function. I use Fixed BH's that I re-edge each time I shoot an animal with them, and I've put the same BH through 6 animals before losing it on that 6th animal. I have another that has been through 4 animals and is ready to work again this season. But regardless of what BH you're shooting, check the sharpness of the blades, and re-edge/sharpen them after each animal and before hunting if you practice with them.

crankn101
September 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
"Slick Tricks never dull"...
Archery Talk

mattjroth
September 22nd, 2010, 04:01 PM
so can anyone tell me if Im getting enough KEand speed for a pass threw

M.Magis
September 22nd, 2010, 04:15 PM
so can anyone tell me if Im getting enough KEand speed for a pass threw

You have to give your arrow weight and speed for someone to tell you, but I'm guessing you're on the light side. Still, there are a lot of variables that determine if an arrow passes through or not. Though it's extremely important in regards to the wound channel, sharpness is a really small variable in regards to getting a pass through. I doubt that's your culprit.

avincent
September 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
ya, you have more than enough energy (on a good shot) for a pass threw. you owe it to the animal you hunt to make sure your your BH are scary sharp, not only for pass threws but a dull head tears the flesh rather than cutting it. when you tear the flesh it clots faster than a clean cut. just like it when you cut yourself shaving you bleed allot longer than when you scrape you knee.

mathewsshoot
November 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
Well if your arrow weighs 10 grains per inch then thats a 265 grain arrow and lets say your shooting that arrow at 285 fps (just guessing the speed got the same bow) It should be 47.81 Ft- lbs if I did the math right I might be wrong after all I just graduated High school this year the formula I found on google is KE = (mass x velocity2)/2 hope this helps

hitman846
November 4th, 2010, 09:38 PM
If you are expecting to get a pass through on most shots you should probably go to a different broadhead. When I was shooting an expandable I only got one pass through. went coc and now it is the standard.

Agreed 100%