PDA

View Full Version : Summit vs. LW Now that I have....

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Now that I have both I can give the following product review based on my experience with both. I have a LW sit and climb that my wife bought me 2 years ago and I have a Outfitter Series Viper Ultra that I bought for my wife this summer. I got the summit over another LW cause of the price difference and the high reviews summit has received. After hunting in the both stands myself, my wife used the summit just last night, and my brother has used both stands, here is our combined review on the summit that we have.

Loud! The thing squeaks on hard wood trees when they are wet or mossy. The teeth on both bottom and top sections squeak like sneakers on a gym floor when climbing hard wood trees, didn't have this issue on any soft wood like poplar and pine.
Also the belt makes a lot of noise sliding in and out of the hollow tube when attaching or adjusting the belt. The rubber coating also comes off very easy meaning its only going to get louder and have to be replaced much sooner then my LW at a $40 cost to me. Also the stand just seems to ting and tang when bumped much louder and easier then my LW.

Cumbersome: LW packs down to 3" tall roughly where the Summit sits inside itself and stands roughly 12"+ tall. This meant it caught a lot of brush and tree limbs going to and from our stand locations. We hunt some pretty thick MN woods. Was also just more cumbersome for my wife to pack in such a large stand even though it isn't much heavier then the LW. I ended up carrying the summit out of the woods and my wife carried my LW.

Ease of use:The system summit has to attach the bottom section to the top so you don't lose it is just a piece of rope, pretty lame for a $270 stand. No quick attach or detach just tie a knot that will come out some what easy later. The rope also likes to get tangled up in the stand if you don't take it off. They also have a green tension strap that is used to hold the top section in place while the hunter is standing, so not putting any weight on it. This is just another strap that I have to remember to bring along and attach since it isn't part of the stand. My LW has two buckle straps that serve as both the tension for the top section and a safety while climbing and the straps stay with the stand, very easy.

Lack of adjustment: Not really all that bad but I don't really like only being able to adjust either sections belts in 4-5" increments instead of .75" increments like my LW.

Toughness: Only thing I really was unimpressed with here is how easy the rubber is coming off the traction belt. Gonna have to be replaced much sooner then my LW. Other small point is summits genius way of attaching all the padding to the stand is zip strips? Quite lame and funny looking. Makes the stand look homemade.

Comfort: My wife just about fell asleep in it so yeah the stand is very comfortable once its up the tree and set up.

Overall: Probably gonna try to return it and bite bullet and pay out the nose for another LW. My wife really didn't like her experience in the summit last night. The squeaking on the tree really made a lot of noise. I think summit is asking too much money for a product that really isn't that great. My LW outperforms it in every category besides comfort and even that is really close. But i'm not a comfort hunter. I need something quiet, light, fast, and easy, thats what he said. And the summit doesn't do it for me.

jmp51483
September 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Sorry to hear you've had such issues with your Summit.... I currently have a goliath and a viper and love them both, I really don't have the extreme amount of issues you've seen so far.. especially the squeak, mine is generally completely quiet.

clintonduffy3
September 27th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Interesting, good work, detailed. I have a summit, have had for about 10 years, and agree that the rubber comes off the cables very easily--so i just put some electrical tape on it, works until it rubs that off anyways... I also agree that it is cumbersome, has a ridiculous way of attaching the pieces together, and will get caught in brush, I too hunt thick areas and have noticed this.

for me, as long as i go slowly up the tree, it doesn't make much noise, regardless of tree or wet, etc... the idea of metal rubbing wood, then producing a squeaky noise like shoes on gym floor, im sorry that sounds ridiculous. im sure it may make some noise, and w/ mine you can hear it bite into the bark, esp. on cherries, ash, and hickories--but it doesn't squeak. w/ mine , if it is wet, i really hesitate to use it, after being i once slid down a tree like down a fireman's pole, barely caught until 5 ft. from ground, not the most fun experience.

the summit is the most comfortable stand on the market imo. never used a LW but have heard great things--seems like they may be better engineered or something, a bit more thought put into it, but until i somehow manage to break my summit or have it fall from my legs and crash onto the ground below, leaving me swinging in my chest-harness, i will continue to put time into it.

MOC
September 27th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Summit is to treestands what McDonald's is to hamburgers.

Stanley
September 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Comfort cannot be traded for anything else. Sit in a stand for 8-10 hrs a day, days on end and tell me comfort doesn't matter. Good luck with your Lone wolf, great stands for sure. Got rid of my LW hand climber, just was too hard to use, and not comfortable.

Skeeter 58
September 27th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the honest review. I agree, I wouldn't trade my Lone Wolf Sit and Climb for any other stand on the market. I have a loggy that I cuss every time I take it out. BTW, don't know if you have heard about it or not but I put one of those mesh Silent Seats on my LW and it went from being a great stand to a super great stand. Now its REALLY quick and easy to assemble and get up the tree and absolutely quite. It also lightned it up a little more and is more comfortable.

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
Comfort cannot be traded for anything else. Sit in a stand for 8-10 hrs a day, days on end and tell me comfort doesn't matter. Good luck with your Lone wolf, great stands for sure. Got rid of my LW hand climber, just was too hard to use, and not comfortable.

I hear ya. I'm not one of those individuals who is able to do very many all day sits cause of work/family obligations. My normal sit time is 3-4 hours with a handful of longer ones every season. But honestly i hate to sit. Makes standing up just one more movement I have to make when I finally spot a deer. Plus in thick woods the deer are usually very close once I do spot them. If i was on the edge of crops or field of some type and had more time to prepare for a shot i would put more stock into comfort.

Rolandd
September 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Now that I have both I can give the following product review based on my experience with both. I have a LW sit and climb that my wife bought me 2 years ago and I have a Outfitter Series Viper Ultra that I bought for my wife this summer. I got the summit over another LW cause of the price difference and the high reviews summit has received. After hunting in the both stands myself, my wife used the summit just last night, and my brother has used both stands, here is our combined review on the summit that we have.

Loud! The thing squeaks on hard wood trees when they are wet or mossy. The teeth on both bottom and top sections squeak like sneakers on a gym floor when climbing hard wood trees, didn't have this issue on any soft wood like poplar and pine.
Also the belt makes a lot of noise sliding in and out of the hollow tube when attaching or adjusting the belt. The rubber coating also comes off very easy meaning its only going to get louder and have to be replaced much sooner then my LW at a $40 cost to me. Also the stand just seems to ting and tang when bumped much louder and easier then my LW.

Cumbersome: LW packs down to 3" tall roughly where the Summit sits inside itself and stands roughly 12"+ tall. This meant it caught a lot of brush and tree limbs going to and from our stand locations. We hunt some pretty thick MN woods. Was also just more cumbersome for my wife to pack in such a large stand even though it isn't much heavier then the LW. I ended up carrying the summit out of the woods and my wife carried my LW.

Ease of use:The system summit has to attach the bottom section to the top so you don't lose it is just a piece of rope, pretty lame for a $270 stand. No quick attach or detach just tie a knot that will come out some what easy later. The rope also likes to get tangled up in the stand if you don't take it off. They also have a green tension strap that is used to hold the top section in place while the hunter is standing, so not putting any weight on it. This is just another strap that I have to remember to bring along and attach since it isn't part of the stand. My LW has two buckle straps that serve as both the tension for the top section and a safety while climbing and the straps stay with the stand, very easy.

Lack of adjustment: Not really all that bad but I don't really like only being able to adjust either sections belts in 4-5" increments instead of .75" increments like my LW.

Toughness: Only thing I really was unimpressed with here is how easy the rubber is coming off the traction belt. Gonna have to be replaced much sooner then my LW. Other small point is summits genius way of attaching all the padding to the stand is zip strips? Quite lame and funny looking. Makes the stand look homemade.

Comfort: My wife just about fell asleep in it so yeah the stand is very comfortable once its up the tree and set up.

Overall: Probably gonna try to return it and bite bullet and pay out the nose for another LW. My wife really didn't like her experience in the summit last night. The squeaking on the tree really made a lot of noise. I think summit is asking too much money for a product that really isn't that great. My LW outperforms it in every category besides comfort and even that is really close. But i'm not a comfort hunter. I need something quiet, light, fast, and easy, thats what he said. And the summit doesn't do it for me.

Your review is spot on and all the same reasons I switched exclusively to LW. Every design detail (seat aside) is extremely well thought out. The LW Assault with the climbing sticks is just awesome how everything works together for climbing and portability. The cable coating on the Summit is a joke, and after 10 years I figured they would have improved what is obviously the primary design flaw. The cables snagging off branches and the clank evertime a branch taps the side of the stand was already enough, but the cable noise on set up was just too much. I am always amazed when people come on here and say Summit is the best of the best climbing stands.

Carpn
September 27th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Love MY LW sit and climb....Where did you get a mesh seat for it BTW?

NCMFX
September 27th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I agree and can't understand why everybody loves Summit so much, I own two and they are fine is you set them up and leave em but they in my opinion are not "portable" climbers. They are very comfortable however! I owned a Lone Wolf sit and climb as well.....for two afternoons. It was the most uncomfortable stand I ever hunted out of. It packs great and sets up very easily with no noise but sucks to sit in.

My favorite to date is the Ol Man for shorter sits, easy and quiet to set up and reasonably comfortable. Bought a treewalker this year and after some add ons I think it will be pretty good. I do think its crazy however to have to ad on anything to a $300+ stand because they use some very cheap components.

Rolandd
September 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
BTW, don't know if you have heard about it or not but I put one of those mesh Silent Seats on my LW and it went from being a great stand to a super great stand. Now its REALLY quick and easy to assemble and get up the tree and absolutely quite. It also lightned it up a little more and is more comfortable.

+1, great tip I found here on AT. It really improved an already great stand. The primary complaint I had with the newer version of the Sit and Climb was that hard foam seat really got in the way when climbing.

mtn3531
September 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Seems like you had your mind made up on the Summit before you set foot in the woods with it. That useless green strap you said you would have to remember to take to the woods with you is what I use to lock my Viper together when transporting it, just run it around the platform section and seat climber longways (strap fits right in the V of the teeth section and up around the front of the stand, holds the footrest to the platform as well and works to strap a jacket, pack etc to the stand). As for not packing as flat as the LW, maybe not, but does that matter unless you walk through the woods sideways? I think you were just looking to justify going out and buying another LW because I haven't had any of the issues with mine that you have, and about a million other hunters haven't either. Yes, the rubber comes off the cables, but you can buy new shrink wrap tubing and redo it for about 10 bucks, no need to buy new cables, or you can not worry about it and hunt the crap out of it like I and others do, doesn't affect performance. I'll take a steel cable over a dry-rot prone rubber climbing belt any day. Curious to see how the LWs will be put together now that they have moved production overseas. Also, if you can wait you'll most likely find cheaper alternatives to the LWs since their patent expires in about a month and it'll be fair game to anyone wanting to use a cast platform.

ky hammer
September 27th, 2010, 12:34 PM
i will first state that i have never used a Lone Wolf but i have owned several Summit stands. i have a Goliath that i really do like. its solid and it no doubt the most comfortable stand i have sat in. i have used it for several dark to dark sits which in other stands would not be possible. it is super quiet climbing for me and if you use the strap that holds the top part to the tree for tying the 2 pieces together you dont have any issues.

BagginBigguns
September 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM

I just purchased one of these: http://hazmore.net/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=7&ccSIDa6e70b027d696f1d3afe13fa7 1f85b8e=f848579ff0cb773750cca5 1e0a46ce52. Haven't tried it out yet, but it gets good reviews.

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Seems like you had your mind made up on the Summit before you set foot in the woods with it. That useless green strap you said you would have to remember to take to the woods with you is what I use to lock my Viper together when transporting it, just run it around the platform section and seat climber longways (strap fits right in the V of the teeth section and up around the front of the stand, holds the footrest to the platform as well and works to strap a jacket, pack etc to the stand). As for not packing as flat as the LW, maybe not, but does that matter unless you walk through the woods sideways? I think you were just looking to justify going out and buying another LW because I haven't had any of the issues with mine that you have, and about a million other hunters haven't either. Yes, the rubber comes off the cables, but you can buy new shrink wrap tubing and redo it for about 10 bucks, no need to buy new cables, or you can not worry about it and hunt the crap out of it like I and others do, doesn't affect performance. I'll take a steel cable over a dry-rot prone rubber climbing belt any day. Curious to see how the LWs will be put together now that they have moved production overseas. Also, if you can wait you'll most likely find cheaper alternatives to the LWs since their patent expires in about a month and it'll be fair game to anyone wanting to use a cast platform.

Didn't have my mind made up. In fact I was really excited about getting it and having two climbers. Second my issues with the Summit are not made up or excuses for anything. I am just posting my honest experience with the Summit product I have. I shouldn't have to buy or shrink rap anything on a stand that cost almost $300. Far as the packing and walking sideways though the woods makes no sense. When you walk past a branch or piece of brush what does it do? it bounces back to its original spot. So if your stand is sticking a foot off your back whats it gonna hit? your stand. If its only 3" off your back it has a much greater chance of missing it as you walk past then catching on it. And if you read some of the other posters, I'm not the only one having these same issues. Far as moving stuff overseas, most companies are to avoid our ridiculous taxes, can't hardly blame them. And if another company could improve on the LW or just produce it cheaper, i'm all for it. that is my biggest issue with the LW is how much it costs. And the cable on the LW is a steel belt wrapped in rubber, very much like the summmit. The different is how the belts enter the hollow tube aluminum. the LW doesn't scratch the rubber off and the summit does.

axeforce6
September 27th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Well I've never had any problems with mine. There quiet and always bite really good and are by far the most comfortable thing in the woods. I have a x2 viper ss viper x7 New switchblade. I love them all. I also had the older viper with the blow up seat. I wish they still made them.

mtn3531
September 27th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Fair enough, but if you don't want to have to buy anything for a stand that already costs $300 bucks then why is everyone so excited about a mesh seat for the LW that you have to buy to make it semi-comfortable? LW makes a good stand but I can't sit in them anywhere near as long as I can my Summit. To each their own, that's why we have choices.

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Glad you like yours. Perhaps its the model I have that is having issues? I honestly don't know and I'm not out to bash any patricular hunter or company. I'm just posting my expereince with the summit product I have. I agree that they do bite very well! My wife didn't comment last night on how she felt a bit safer climbing with the summit because it bit deeper and it has a 360 degree solid bar so she felt enveloped instead of out in the open like the LW. I however like being out in the open!

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Agreed. I haven't bought, and am not planning on buying, the mesh seat. I don't think the seat I have is all that uncomfortable. I have sat in it for 6-8 hours before and was fine besides my usually ADD issues:). So I don't think buying the seat is a necessary purchase.

sawtoothscream
September 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
i dont get this reviews. i own a old summit viper classic and hunted out of that and a new summit viper ss and both are easy to use, are not loud at all going up the tree and not half as difficult and crappy as the op makes them sound. dont get it cause i never had a loud noise issue and i felt like i could run to my stand when i tried the viper ss.

the green strap is used to hold the platform and upper half together so not really one part to remember cause its already there with you, zip ties for the pads, no big deal.

guess everyone likes differnt things though idk, never used a LW so i cant compare them. im going to buy a new stand before next seaon and will give the LW a look. but from the sounds it i might have to replace the seat if i ordered one. wonder if the summit seat fits it cause there seats are amazing

weave
September 27th, 2010, 01:03 PM
I own 2 Summit Goliaths and I love them both.

Your review seems to be fair and honest based on your observations. However, I have not seen this noise issue myself. I have climbed about every kind of tree out there and I think you would be hard pressed to hear me get setup and climb. I agree that the stand does not pack flat, but it is not designed to pack flat. Yes hollow tubes make more noise than cast aluminum when struck....anything hollow is going to resonate more than anything solid. The seat on the Summit will blow away anything LW has, period. The strap that holds the 2 halves together, yep a PITA so I never use it. Now the strap that goes around the tree, that is important for 2 reasons...one it holds the 2 halves tight when packing it in and out, and two it holds that top half to the tree when seated. I have never forgot it and using it comes second nature to me.

As a note, you seem to really favor the buckles on the LW and I agree....which is why I spent $10 and put a set on my Summit. Now I can climb without dropping the bottom, and I can strap in and remove all that lateral movement.

The cables are covered with a heavy duty heat shrink, and are not rubber.....yes they can get chewed up but I just cut off the chewed part and keep on using them.

Adjustment, no question that the LW has more adjustment than the Summit. Despite that, I have never really had any issues with this...

Price - Summit
Comfort - Summit
Made in USA - Summit
Customer Service - Summit
Winner - Summit

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
The noise issue is huge right now and the biggest reason I want to return it. If anyone has had similar issue and was able to resolve it I would like to know the trick. It only happens on hardwood trees. The teeth just squeak like crazy any time the hunter moves or is climbing. The green strap maybe used to tie the two halves together, but according to the directions its main purpose is to hold the top section in place and that is where my complaint came in as to its poor design and having a strap and a rope that don't remain attached to the stand. Zip ties aren't a big issue and i think I said that, just makes it look homemade. And I honestly don't see why the summit seat wouldn't fit the LW. They have the same strap system to hold them in place. Just have to undo and then redo all the straps and I would think it would work.

weave
September 27th, 2010, 01:08 PM
The noise issue is huge right now and the biggest reason I want to return it. If anyone has had similar issue and was able to resolve it I would like to know the trick. It only happens on hardwood trees. The teeth just squeak like crazy any time the hunter moves or is climbing. The green strap maybe used to tie the two halves together, but according to the directions its main purpose is to hold the top section in place and that is where my complaint came in as to its poor design and having a strap and a rope that don't remain attached to the stand. Zip ties aren't a big issue and i think I said that, just makes it look homemade. And I honestly don't see why the summit seat wouldn't fit the LW. They have the same strap system to hold them in place. Just have to undo and then redo all the straps and I would think it would work.

You can put the Summit seat on a LW, my buddy did his

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 01:10 PM
I own 2 Summit Goliaths and I love them both.

Your review seems to be fair and honest based on your observations. However, I have not seen this noise issue myself. I have climbed about every kind of tree out there and I think you would be hard pressed to hear me get setup and climb. I agree that the stand does not pack flat, but it is not designed to pack flat. Yes hollow tubes make more noise than cast aluminum when struck....anything hollow is going to resonate more than anything solid. The seat on the Summit will blow away anything LW has, period. The strap that holds the 2 halves together, yep a PITA so I never use it. Now the strap that goes around the tree, that is important for 2 reasons...one it holds the 2 halves tight when packing it in and out, and two it holds that top half to the tree when seated. I have never forgot it and using it comes second nature to me.

As a note, you seem to really favor the buckles on the LW and I agree....which is why I spent $10 and put a set on my Summit. Now I can climb without dropping the bottom, and I can strap in and remove all that lateral movement.

The cables are covered with a heavy duty heat shrink, and are not rubber.....yes they can get chewed up but I just cut off the chewed part and keep on using them.

Adjustment, no question that the LW has more adjustment than the Summit. Despite that, I have never really had any issues with this...

Price - Summit
Comfort - Summit
Made in USA - Summit

Winner - Summit

I like the strap idea on the summit. Probably gonna do this, thanks for the tip.

weave
September 27th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Also, on the noise on the stand....yours must be fairly new.

Try this....take a file or a dremill and file the powder coating off the teeth and see what happens...or climb with it more and wear it off.

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Also, on the noise on the stand....yours must be fairly new.

Try this....take a file or a dremill and file the powder coating off the teeth and see what happens...or climb with it more and wear it off.

Its brand new this summer...probably only been up a tree a few dozen times with my wife practicing with it. Thanks for the info and i'm hoping your right cause as of right now it honestly isn't even huntable. My wife was squeaking all over the place last night just moving a little in the seat.

G20
September 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I will sacrifice comfort for a lot. Never tried the LW. I've never had the squeaking noise on the cable when climbing. One thing you hit on that i don't like is the cable can be a little noisy when sliding it in and out of the lock part. Sometimes mine gets in tere pretty good and i give it a jerk and it bumps the aluminum kinda loud. I have the Titan and it does weigh 25lbs but i also wanted the extra room it has.

My brother in law just bought a X-stand or stand X? that has to be the worst climber i have messed with. It is only like 12 lbs and climbing and messing with it i see why. It is small and i couldnt climb with it at all. He likes it but i would sit under a tree before i used it. It is by far the worst stand i have messed with.

Baldona523
September 27th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Solid review. I think it goes along well with the majority of what I have experienced from the use of both and from my hunting buddies who use Summits.

Tim/OH
September 27th, 2010, 01:59 PM
That pretty much sums it up...nice review.......love my lone wolf stands.
Don't get me wrong summit makes excellent stands, they are super comfy....but their bulky and noisey(JMO)....I had a viper yrs ago, and sold it for a new sit. & climb...I also bought the alpha hang on, wouldn't used no other stands.

I just hung my lw about an hour ago...can't wait to hunt it this weekend.

Tim

carybcom
September 27th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I have the Summit Viper SS and absolutely love it. I will admit that the heat shrink wrap didn't make it through a few climbs but electrical tape solved that problem. Other than that I have no complaints.

clg9mm
September 27th, 2010, 02:28 PM
yep the LW is great but the seat they put on sucks. I put a Summit seat on mine. Added a little weight and some bulk but beats the hell out of sitting in the torture device they called a seat. The new Summit's that fold flat maybe the ticket.

Rolandd
September 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
yep the LW is great but the seat they put on sucks. I put a Summit seat on mine. Added a little weight and some bulk but beats the hell out of sitting in the torture device they called a seat. The new Summit's that fold flat maybe the ticket.

I'm not sure why LW did away with the old style seat, which I still have on my older S&C. It is similar to the summit, foam, sling type and is very comfortable IMO.

Kstigall
September 27th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I despise how Summit has the cables going into tubes and latching. The 'cable latch' on the Loggy Bayou is the best I've seen. I said I was going to modify my Summit but I never got to it and season opens Saturday.

Mallardbreath
September 27th, 2010, 03:06 PM
I own a Summit Viper and I can say w/o hesitation that your review is accurate. I haven't experienced the squeek however. It is comfy though so I use it for long sits. Otherwise I use my LW Alpha an sticks.

Carpn
September 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM
I just purchased one of these: http://hazmore.net/cart/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=7&ccSIDa6e70b027d696f1d3afe13fa7 1f85b8e=f848579ff0cb773750cca5 1e0a46ce52. Haven't tried it out yet, but it gets good reviews.
I ordered the same one after my first post...I haven't had a problem comfort wise with my LW sit and climb but those mesh seats look alot lighter and my facorty seat sometimes gets in the way and scraps tree bark when I am climbing. For 20 buck I figured I could afford to try out the sling seat.

Skeeter 58
September 27th, 2010, 03:47 PM

hazmore.net

Same place.
They are only $19.00 and fast shipping. Didn't take long to install. Really like mine. I had the same problem, the original set was just too noisy. Never could figure that one out, LW builds the quietest stand on the market and puts a noisy seat on it. Go figure.

Jfriesner
September 27th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Ok I finally figured youtube out! Here is a video recording of the top section of the summit I have and how noisy it is. Any ideas on how to fix this? Its on a white oak tree in the vid but does the same thing on any tree with like bark, maple, ash, etc.. Did this with comp webcam so might have to turn your sound up to hear it...poor quality. Very loud in real life and especially when in the woods hunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvTv9Zwg8AM

ohhiitznik
September 27th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I had a Lonewolf Handclimber, and A summit Viper. I gave the viper to my father, for comfort. I used the LW handclimber exclusively for 2 seasons. I'm 6'4 275 lbs and all I did was put a gorilla air ride seat on it. It was comfortable, portable, light, and easy to use. No squeaks out of the LW for sure. I sold the LW to a guy on here, and went to a treewalker. I love mesh style seats, and I wanted something a little larger with a front rail. I generally climb to 35 feet in the LW in the big woods I hunt because I have to, I've even sat at 40 ft to the platform before and having the rail is just a little more comforting. the LW is a much better built stand hands down, but the summit wins in comfort. Thats really how it is. If you want light, packable, ease of use, go with lone wolf. If you want comfort, with the other parts lacking, go with summit.

jonbooger
September 27th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I have the Viper SS and in 4 years have never experienced any of the problems you have described. This stand replaced my LW sit and climb. You have stated the rubber coating on the cables became damaged and separated. From reading your post I am led to believe this occurred after only a small amount of usage? This report along with your other complaints makes me think you either are associated with a commercial interest involving this product, or have a bone to pick with Summit, but either way, smell that everybody? I smell bullchit.
:cocktail:

jesseo
September 28th, 2010, 03:30 AM
I have had a Summit Open Shot for a year now. I love it, other than the noise during set-up. No noise issues while in the stand. Converting the pack straps to a safety line between top piece and bottom piece is a bit of a hassle, but a very minor issue. I guess my main issue with it comes from packing it into the woods: I strap my daypack to the back of the stand and carry it all on my back, which tends to cause a very annoying pressure point where the bar of the stand meets the small of my back. I think one of those pack strap systems with a cushioned back might help the problem... or I could figure out a way to strap the stand to the back of the daypack instead. I have never owned a LW, and don't plan to, unless I get rich. My Summit is not perfect by any means, but it's a great lightweight bowhunting climber.

BagginBigguns
September 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM
I hunted from my buddy'd Summit Viper yesterday. It was far noisier to set up than was the Lone Wolf. It was also a bit more clangy than the LW while climbing. I don't know, maybe it gets quieter with practice. Once up in the tree I would say it was equal to the LW in stability. The seat was definitely more comfortable than the factory LW. The biggest deal-breaker for me, though, was the height of the seat supports. I'm 6' tall and shoot a fairly short bow (31"), but I would have had a very hard time managing to shoot anywhere from about 4 o-clock to 8 o-clock without hitting the seat supports. I could've set the seat lower, but in order to provide ample clearance, I'd have had to set the seat such that I was almost sitting on the platform. And that was with the seat adjusted as tight as the straps allowed.

So based on my initial impression, I'd give the nod to the Summit in comfort and security (due to the full-rigid rail), but the LW outshined in portability, ease-of-setup, quietness and shooter-friendliness.

southernbowhunt
September 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Jesseo, go and take a look at these best thing I have ever found my my stand they make it feel like a pillow on your back.

Go to ebay and type in this item number! Under 20 bucks you can't beat it.

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have the Viper SS and in 4 years have never experienced any of the problems you have described. This stand replaced my LW sit and climb. You have stated the rubber coating on the cables became damaged and separated. From reading your post I am led to believe this occurred after only a small amount of usage? This report along with your other complaints makes me think you either are associated with a commercial interest involving this product, or have a bone to pick with Summit, but either way, smell that everybody? I smell bullchit.

You should read the rest of the posts. I'm not the only person who has had these issues. Several people have commented in this thread that they too had the same issues I am having. I'm not part of anything. I'm an average guy who hunts when he can and doesn't have much money to buy equipment. So when i bought this summit and had all these issues I felt compelled to write a review for others in my situation. I did get the bad squeak fixed, turned out it was the powder coating on the teeth. Had to file it off with a chain saw file. Pretty sad to have to take a file to a brand new stand just to make it huntable.

176"buck
September 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I have a summit backpacker,which is simply a viper that folds flat.Don't know why they quit making it because it's much easier to pack.The thicker stand does catch every limb u go under.Never had a noise issue like your describing not sure what's going on there.

lastcast33
September 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
I had both stands also. Gave the Lone Wolf about half the season and off to Ebay. Good riddance!!!!!

Rolandd
September 28th, 2010, 10:18 AM

That's some funny stuff right there and so typical of many people on AT. A guy comes on to try and give his honest opinion by giving a review of a product he just bought, to try and help other archers, has first hand experience with, and it being called out as a Lonewolf Rep.:set1_rolf2: Too damn funny. Never mind that everything he said has happened to several people who have owned the same product.

Hey OP, now that the cat is out of the bag, what kind of deal can I get on new Lone Wolf Sit and Climb?:icon_1_lol:

jonbooger
September 28th, 2010, 11:44 AM
You should read the rest of the posts. I'm not the only person who has had these issues. Several people have commented in this thread that they too had the same issues I am having. I'm not part of anything. I'm an average guy who hunts when he can and doesn't have much money to buy equipment. So when i bought this summit and had all these issues I felt compelled to write a review for others in my situation. I did get the bad squeak fixed, turned out it was the powder coating on the teeth. Had to file it off with a chain saw file. Pretty sad to have to take a file to a brand new stand just to make it huntable.

I read them all, did you? I read a mixed response both pro and con Summit and LW. Reading your original report I sensed you had a pro LW attitude and couldn't wait to bash Summit on most everything including trivial stuff like wire ties holding on the rail padding.
I did not state in my reply anything negative about LW except that I had one and replaced it with Summit and that I am happy with the results. The Summit came complete except for the wire ties to secure the rail padding. Now, at the risk of product bashing which is not my intent, The LW sit and climb I had came bare. I had to buy a rubber grommet for the bow holder, had to buy padding for the rails, and there were other accessories that if I wanted would have cost extra. I found that expensive especially after paying BIG bucks for the stand.
I do not think you are a "rep" as some other ATer suggested. I do think you should have taken more time to work out any bugs over a couple seasons to give a little less slanted opinion of the Summit, after all, you've had the LW for a number of years. Then if you find it inadequate, so be it. I have found that no matter what stand of any kind I have bought nothing was ever perfect, I have always made adjustments to every one including my Summit. I made my own camouflage covering for around the rail, and I put a thin layer of foam padding over the stand floor and covered that with outdoor carpet. I do this on all my stands to keep my feet warm and to insure I won't slip or make squeaking noises in wet weather.
I wish you good luck with whatever stand you end up with.
Happy Hunting,
Booger

jonbooger
September 28th, 2010, 11:56 AM
That's some funny stuff right there and so typical of many people on AT. A guy comes on to try and give his honest opinion by giving a review of a product he just bought, to try and help other archers, has first hand experience with, and it being called out as a Lonewolf Rep.:set1_rolf2: Too damn funny. Never mind that everything he said has happened to several people who have owned the same product.

Hey OP, now that the cat is out of the bag, what kind of deal can I get on new Lone Wolf Sit and Climb?:icon_1_lol:

Hahahaha, :set1_rolf2:, this coming from a Bowtech shooter! There by gummit, how's that for a generalization!

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I read them all, did you? I read a mixed response both pro and con Summit and LW. Reading your original report I sensed you had a pro LW attitude and couldn't wait to bash Summit on most everything including trivial stuff like wire ties holding on the rail padding.
I did not state in my reply anything negative about LW except that I had one and replaced it with Summit and that I am happy with the results. The Summit came complete except for the wire ties to secure the rail padding. Now, at the risk of product bashing which is not my intent, The LW sit and climb I had came bare. I had to buy a rubber grommet for the bow holder, had to buy padding for the rails, and there were other accessories that if I wanted would have cost extra. I found that expensive especially after paying BIG bucks for the stand.
I do not think you are a "rep" as some other ATer suggested. I do think you should have taken more time to work out any bugs over a couple seasons to give a little less slanted opinion of the Summit, after all, you've had the LW for a number of years. Then if you find it inadequate, so be it. I have found that no matter what stand of any kind I have bought nothing was ever perfect, I have always made adjustments to every one including my Summit. I made my own camouflage covering for around the rail, and I put a thin layer of foam padding over the stand floor and covered that with outdoor carpet. I do this on all my stands to keep my feet warm and to insure I won't slip or make squeaking noises in wet weather.
I wish you good luck with whatever stand you end up with.
Happy Hunting,
Booger

Yes I did read them all and like i said many people had the same issues I did. Far as giving it a couple season and time to work things out? I seriously have to give this stand 2 years and work out its bugs before I can complain about it? What sense does that make? I shouldn't have to work out any bugs on a brand new stand that cost nearly $300. I pulled my LW out of the box 2 seasons ago and haven't changed a thing or worked out a single bug. I wasn't looking to bash anything. Like i stated before I was excited to buy a summit due to its high reviews and how many people use them. My product review was exactly what I found with the stand. I didn't even claim anywhere that all summits are like this. I clearly stated the exact model I had and the issues I had with it. I haven't bought any of the accessories you mentioned for my LW. I don't think they are necessary, but I would agree that for $370 it could come with some of those things.

weave
September 28th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I think the review by the OP is and was 100% based on what he experienced, and no one should be bashing him for that.

He had some legitimate issues with his stand, and so being a pro-Summit person, I decided to help him instead of bash him for not liking what I like.....

jlh42581
September 28th, 2010, 12:33 PM
ive owned both and heres my take on it

if you want portability, quiet, rock solid stand - get a lone wolf

if you want an economically priced, COMFORTABLE stand, somewhat quiet - get a summit

two different animals. i thought summit came out with a flat folding climber, what happened with that?

madarchery
September 28th, 2010, 12:34 PM
For those that think there stands are quiet. They have not used a LW. Its night and day. Not even worth discussing as it shows you have not tried the LW in an honest comparison.

LW is expensive. But its because its better. And the padded seats of the LW are plenty comfortable. A lot of the seat issues come from people comparing the hand climber and lockons to a summit. Not apples to apples here.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Boy aint that the truth! Never seen anything like it. I could care less if someone disagrees with what stand I choose to hunt with and what I have determined thats best for me and my style of hunting. Some people need to get a life.

Rolandd
September 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Hahahaha, :set1_rolf2:, this coming from a Bowtech shooter! There by gummit, how's that for a generalization!

LOL, I've shot Mathews most of my life.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 12:57 PM
To the original poster......I would contact Summit on the noise against the bark issue. Their customer service is fantastic and they'll make it right somehow I guarantee you. As for the noise while inserting the cable into the stand, you can eliminate that with a little practice. You've got to use your hand and wrist to bend it at the correct angle and each "bump" will slide in nice and quiet. As for the arm pads with zip ties....you were living without them on the LW so why not just take them off if you don't like the way they "look cheap". That's a pretty petty complaint for a treestand in my humble opinion. As for the rope that connects the top piece to the bottom....get rid of it (assuming you guys harness up which I'm sure you do)...you're never gonna need it in a Summit. They bite as good or better than anything on the market....if you're standing on it or have stood on it, it ain't going anywhere. Also, the statement about only being able to adjust the stand in 4 to 5 inch increments is not being truthful. You don't have to adjust both sides....just adjust one side, one "bump" and it will only adjust everything by about 2 inches.

Like some of these other guys, I think your mind was made up as soon as you got it out of the box and that's OK...it's your money and your hunting. But, you've mentioned several things that are very petty in the overall scheme of things in my opinion. One thing you didn't mention that you will eventually find out (assuming you give it another whirl) is that the cables on the Summit are too flimsy on a big tree and get caught on stuff (rough bark, knots, sawed off limbs) on the way up. But, the LW is even worse in that department so if you're working around that issue with the LW, then it shouldn't be a problem on the Summit for you either. After saying all that, I have to admit that I don't own a Summit any longer myself either (don't own a LW either) simply because I don't think they're as comfortable as everyone claims they are. That honking piece of metal right in the small of your back (especially on bigger trees where you're sitting further away from the tree) SUX...i don't care how thick the back pad is! My opinion is that there is no such thing as the perfect treestand....at least not out of the box. I typically carry a "hybrid" that has components from 4 or 5 different manufacturers myself.

BagginBigguns
September 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I think it's funny how some of you guys are making it seem like the OP was making this into a personal issue. He criticizes a treestand, and you'd think he kicked someone's dog or insulted someone's mother! These are treestands, for cryin' out loud! He's used both and perfers one over the other based on his own observations and perferences. No dogs or mothers were injured or insulted in the making of this thread (that I'm aware of). :noidea:

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 01:25 PM
I think it's funny how some of you guys are making it seem like the OP was making this into a personal issue. He criticizes a treestand, and you'd think he kicked someone's dog or insulted someone's mother! These are treestands, for cryin' out loud! He's used both and perfers one over the other based on his own observations and perferences. No dogs or mothers were injured or insulted in the making of this thread (that I'm aware of). :noidea: I encourage him to get rid of it if he don't like it by all means.....but, I think folks who are trying to make purchase decisions like to read the experiences of people with significant experience as well. As long as he and his wife are out there having a ball, I'm tickled to death, no matter whose platform they're standing on.

perchjerker
September 28th, 2010, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fact that the TRACTION BELTS have a life. The MUST be replaced or you risk a fall. The length of that period is not listed on the Lone Wolf website. Hunt safe.

Rory/MO
September 28th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Never used a LW, but happy as can be with my Viper.

weave
September 28th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Pretty sure it is 5 years on the belts.. You are supposed to write the date on them when you first use them. IIRC

madarchery
September 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Yes they put a life on them. Only a smart idea and makes you examine them.

This should be done on all systems. I have seen many cables break from being bent and pinched. So it should be a step for all owners of every stand to really check the stand and components and replace items subject to wear.

I am confident the belts last much longer then 5 yrs.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Pretty sure it is 5 years on the belts.. You are supposed to write the date on them when you first use them. IIRC

This is true. Its says so in the instructions. There is a place on every traction belt for the date.

G20
September 28th, 2010, 02:21 PM
i thought summit came out with a flat folding climber, what happened with that?

They have two this year that fold flat. They are in Cabela's but i don't remember the name.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I think it's funny how some of you guys are making it seem like the OP was making this into a personal issue. He criticizes a treestand, and you'd think he kicked someone's dog or insulted someone's mother! These are treestands, for cryin' out loud! He's used both and perfers one over the other based on his own observations and perferences. No dogs or mothers were injured or insulted in the making of this thread (that I'm aware of). :noidea:

This is true, but he came on here not to give a review but rather to bash the summit. Instead of putting in the title that this was a review he should have named it "This is why LW is better than Summit"

If the op was having so many problems with the Summit, why not make a post asking what others have experienced and if they experienced the same, how did they fix it. I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone stating that their summit was making noise and how can I fix it. But people do have a problem with a guy coming on here and stating that a product that a lot of people have complete confidence in is a piece of crap. Yes, I read between the lines a little there, but it is a pretty fair statement that the op pretty much said that.

I own a Summit and I love it. Yes, the cable rubber has come off-not a big issue IMO. If you angle the cables right when putting them in the tubing (no, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to do it), it doesn't make much noise at all-just a small click when it locks in. I have never used a LW and probably never will. I am content with my Summit.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1319262

Here is a guy that has bought a LW product and wasn't entirely happy with it. He didn't say that the product was a POS, but he gave an honest opinion and a suggestion to make it right.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 03:10 PM
This is true, but he came on here not to give a review but rather to bash the summit. Instead of putting in the title that this was a review he should have named it "This is why LW is better than Summit"

If the op was having so many problems with the Summit, why not make a post asking what others have experienced and if they experienced the same, how did they fix it. I don't think anyone would have a problem with someone stating that their summit was making noise and how can I fix it. But people do have a problem with a guy coming on here and stating that a product that a lot of people have complete confidence in is a piece of crap. Yes, I read between the lines a little there, but it is a pretty fair statement that the op pretty much said that.

I own a Summit and I love it. Yes, the cable rubber has come off-not a big issue IMO. If you angle the cables right when putting them in the tubing (no, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how to do it), it doesn't make much noise at all-just a small click when it locks in. I have never used a LW and probably never will. I am content with my Summit.

Sure sounds to me like an honest opinion and a good review. Glad you like your Summit but they cannot compete with a LW for anything other than comfort. FACT !

jose_escobar22
September 28th, 2010, 03:12 PM

This treestand has been used and abused for a long time. Notice the date on that traction belt for those of you who are concerned about the life of the belt. The belt basically looks brand new.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Sure sounds to me like an honest opinion and a good review. Glad you like your Summit but they cannot compete with a LW for anything other than comfort. FACT ! And price....and safety.....and included accessories.....and you actually get the full length belts when you puchase it.....and so on and so forth

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 03:21 PM
See the post above as far as safety goes. I paid $339.00 for my LW and to me its worth every penny of it. Accessories, LOL, I want to deal with the least amount of items as possible and keep it light. Being silent is the name of the game with a stand. But hell, ya'll use whatever your comfortable with. I know I do.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 03:40 PM
See the post above as far as safety goes. I paid $339.00 for my LW and to me its worth every penny of it. Accessories, LOL, I want to deal with the least amount of items as possible and keep it light. Being silent is the name of the game with a stand. But hell, ya'll use whatever your comfortable with. I know I do. Same here. I don't currently use either one of them, but it's my opinion that a "review" post of this nature is just that....a compare and contrast. Some things are important to some guys and some aren't. Hardheadingly stating that something is superior and that's a FACT tells the on-looker absolutely nothing about the realities of either product. Except for the fact that fan boys can and do exist. LOL!

For the record, I think they're both fantastic products with many great, but different features. I could absolutely understand people loving either one of them.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Sure sounds to me like an honest opinion and a good review. Glad you like your Summit but they cannot compete with a LW for anything other than comfort. FACT !

My whole point was this wasn't a review it was "I hate this Summit" You can think what you want about my stand but bashing another quality product is not called for.

I shoot a Hoyt and I can see a lot of advantages to my bow over a Mathews, but does that mean that I go and bash the Mathews?

The op seemed to have one reason to write this thread, and it was to say that Summits suck.

By the way, my Chevy is better than your Ford:shade: It's really no different. Just because you think your Ford is better certainly doesn't mean that it is.

BagginBigguns
September 28th, 2010, 03:53 PM

The thread title states "Summit vs. LW". He never said he was doing a Summit review; he simply said he was doing a review of the two stands, now that he has experience with each and can make a fair comparison. He didn't post to ask questions because he didn't have any questions to ask. He was simply offering his opinion of how the two stands compared.

I'm glad you like your Summit stand. Sounds like it works well for you. :shade:

clee
September 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
The thread title states "Summit vs. LW". He never said he was doing a Summit review; he simply said he was doing a review of the two stands, now that he has experience with each and can make a fair comparison. He didn't post to ask questions because he didn't have any questions to ask. He was simply offering his opinion of how the two stands compared.

I'm glad you like your Summit stand. Sounds like it works well for you. :shade:

He didn't say it in the title, but here is a quote from the beginning of his post.

"Now that I have both I can give the following product review"

Sounds like he was posting a review to me.

BagginBigguns
September 28th, 2010, 03:59 PM
He didn't say it in the title, but here is a quote from the beginning of his post.

"Now that I have both I can give the following product review"

Sounds like he was posting a review to me.

It is a review... of how he compares the two stands. Simple as that.

weave
September 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
My whole point was this wasn't a review it was "I hate this Summit" You can think what you want about my stand but bashing another quality product is not called for.

I shoot a Hoyt and I can see a lot of advantages to my bow over a Mathews, but does that mean that I go and bash the Mathews?

The op seemed to have one reason to write this thread, and it was to say that Summits suck.

By the way, my Chevy is better than your Ford:shade: It's really no different. Just because you think your Ford is better certainly doesn't mean that it is.

But I know my Ford is better :teeth:

brandon1009
September 28th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Summit is to treestands what McDonald's is to hamburgers.

amen!

brandon1009
September 28th, 2010, 04:21 PM

He never said anything close, but i will... summits SUCK. and its NOT like ford vs chevy because nether truck has any FLAWS... the summits stands DO, if you dont think so.... read ABOVE.

I have also had summits and LW's.... guess what I use now????

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 04:25 PM

Its a simple honest review. I don't see for a second where he is bashing. Telling the truth my friend is not bashing. He is mearly stating what works for him best. I agree 100% with what he said.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 04:27 PM
Same here. I don't currently use either one of them, but it's my opinion that a "review" post of this nature is just that....a compare and contrast. Some things are important to some guys and some aren't. Hardheadingly stating that something is superior and that's a FACT tells the on-looker absolutely nothing about the realities of either product. Except for the fact that fan boys can and do exist. LOL!

For the record, I think they're both fantastic products with many great, but different features. I could absolutely understand people loving either one of them.

Well it is a fact. The LW is so much quieter in the tree, much quieter packing in, quieter climbing the tree, more adjustability, packs flatter, and the list goes on. Those are called facts bud. need I say more? So there's something for the on-lookers even though all of those has already mentioned.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Well it is a fact. The LW is so much quieter in the tree, much quieter packing in, quieter climbing the tree, more adjustability, packs flatter, and the list goes on. Those are called facts bud. need I say more? I don't have any intentions of arguing any of that.....for the most part....those are factual. A little bit dramatized, but certainly factual. But, to hear some of you guys tell it, a man can't kill a deer from a climber unless he's sitting in a Lone Wolf. I've killed one or three that would argue otherwise, many of them that died within the first few minutes of legal light in the morning and a few that died as a result of getting too close WHILE I was still climbing up the tree.....not a single one of them from a Lone Wolf. If it's dry out, and your having to walk through leaves, it's all a moot point anyway. You'll make 10 times more noise getting there than you will getting up the tree (unless you've done a really poor job of planning your approach) whether you're climbing a Lone Wolf, Summit, or a Tree Lounge. The only time that the noise of getting up a tree becomes really crucial, in my humble opinion, is when it's getting crunch/prime time and you're wanting to get in CLOSE on bedded deer. For that case, I'll take a pre-hung loc-on all day and twice on Sunday.

FishingBen
September 28th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Well i'm debating a new treestand and all I am is more confused now.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I don't have any intentions of arguing any of that.....for the most part....those are factual. A little bit dramatized, but certainly factual. But, to hear some of you guys tell it, a man can't kill a deer from a climber unless he's sitting in a Lone Wolf. I've killed one or three that would argue otherwise, many of them that died within the first few minutes of legal light in the morning and a few that died as a result of getting too close WHILE I was still climbing up the tree.....not a single one of them from a Lone Wolf. If it's dry out, and your having to walk through leaves, it's all a moot point anyway. You'll make 10 times more noise getting there than you will getting up the tree (unless you've done a really poor job of planning your approach) whether you're climbing a Lone Wolf, Summit, or a Tree Lounge. The only time that the noise of getting up a tree becomes really crucial, in my humble opinion, is when it's getting crunch/prime time and you're wanting to get in CLOSE on bedded deer. For that case, I'll take a pre-hung loc-on all day and twice on Sunday.

No doubt. I agree with you. I have several other stands as well that I have killed a bunch of deer out of. But those other stands are all noisey, or heavy. Being stealthy is the name of the game for me though. My point is the OP made this thread as a review and compare. But some chose to bash him for it. Therefore facts was necessary to support what the OP stated. Its all good.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Well i'm debating a new treestand and all I am is more confused now.

In all honesty, the LW is not for everyone. Many dislike them. I have stated some of the strong points of the LW. However, they are not the best for a large person and they take a little more thought to use than other stands. Nothing difficult just need to think a little more. They are not as comfy as some other stands for the person that perfers more comfort. But the strong points far out weigh the weak points IMO. Heck, I'm 52 years old and disabled and I go up the tree like a dang squirrel with my Sit and Climb. I have other stands but my LW is my stand of choice. Good luck with your decission.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM
But some chose to bash him for it. I hope the things I said weren't interpreted as bashing....I apologize to the OP and everybody else if it was. I was simply trying to add to his compare and contrast with my experiences, of which I obviously have a whole lot more with the Summit anyway. I have climbed in a couple of buddy's Lone Wolf's and it's simply not for me (mostly because I already have an "uncomfortable" stand). I already have an open front stand (Cougar Claw) that I've been using for years that fits the bill nicely for that application. If I'm only going hunting for a little while and I need a climber, you can bet it'll be on my back. That thing has been in on more deer kills than Blue Tongue disease. LOL!

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I hope the things I said weren't interpreted as bashing....I apologize to the OP and everybody else if it was. I was simply trying to add to his compare and contrast with my experiences, of which I obviously have a whole lot more with the Summit anyway. I have climbed in a couple of buddy's Lone Wolf's and it's simply not for me (mostly because I already have an "uncomfortable" stand). I already have an open front stand (Cougar Claw) that I've been using for years that fits the bill nicely for that application. If I'm only going hunting for a little while and I need a climber, you can bet it'll be on my back. That think has been in on more deer kills than Blue Tongue disease. LOL!

Nah it was not you. I know what you mean about getting attached to a piece of hunting equipment though. BTW, as previously stated, I bought one of those mesh seats for my LW and it makes it much more comfortable. Also much faster and quiet assembling and climbing.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Nah it was not you. I know what you mean about getting attached to a piece of hunting equipment though. BTW, as previously stated, I bought one of those mesh seats for my LW and it makes it much more comfortable. Also much faster and quiet assembling and climbing. I bought one not too long ago for an API Bowhunter that I have and it is great in concept (I've always been a big fan of mesh seats....nothing more comfortable on the backside in my opinion), but it's simply too loose on the API and sags you down into the frame too much, allowing your back to hit the metal bar (one of the things I hate about Summits). I bet it's killer on that Lone Wolf sit and climb though!

clee
September 28th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Well it is a fact. The LW is so much quieter in the tree, much quieter packing in, quieter climbing the tree, more adjustability, packs flatter, and the list goes on. Those are called facts bud. need I say more? So there's something for the on-lookers even though all of those has already mentioned.

Maybe you should go and look up the definition of fact. What evidence do you have of any of that? Is there a study that has measured the decibel level of the sound made when climbing a tree with a Summit and then compared that to the sound made when climbing a tree with a LW? If you can't produce it, then it is simply not a 'fact'.

Is there a scientific study that compares the portability of the Summit or the Lone Wolf? I haven't seen one.

Don't come on here talking about facts when everything that you say is opinion.

brandon1009
September 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Maybe you should go and look up the definition of fact. What evidence do you have of any of that? Is there a study that has measured the decibel level of the sound made when climbing a tree with a Summit and then compared that to the sound made when climbing a tree with a LW? If you can't produce it, then it is simply not a 'fact'.

Is there a scientific study that compares the portability of the Summit or the Lone Wolf? I haven't seen one.

LMAO... you are upset huh buddy? summit is HOLLOW ALUMINIUM... LW is CAST.... its common sense and we dont need ANY study to determine something so obvious!

"dont come on here".... LOL... who do you think you are buddy????

hophunt
September 28th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Great review. I wish I had seen this a few months back when looking to buy a new climber. I too was comparing the Summit and LW stands. Having two LW lockons I was really trying to avoid the price tag of the LW. I settled on the sit and climb and have used it several times this year already. As for the comfort, after the initial hunt I have not had a problem. I made some adjustemtns to the seat after the first hunt and since have found I can sit in it comfortably all day. The biggest thing for me was noise. Whenevr looking at a stand I give the platform a finger nail tap test. If the finger nail tap causes a ping in the platform I end to look elsewhere. I have an API that it seems like everytime I move my foot just a little it pings the paltform and sounds like a giant sonar in the woods. I don't think you can beat the solid platform for noise. I would like to see someone else make a stand with similar characteristics for a lot less but I do not think it will happen anytime soon.

Solid review though.

nodog
September 28th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Your talking cables and he's talking belts, I'm confused. Did Summit switch to belts? If not the review isn't doing well IMO and I'm no Summit fan boy.

All stands need something that's why there isn't a perfect one. The teeth on the summit need ground down some for starters. That will eliminate the noise. The noise is just like pulling nails until the teeth are not like nails and more like the LW.

As far as out performing in every category that ain't true, the lw cost more and that is the reason it should be better. For the cost it doesn't add up. The summit climbs bigger trees and is also safer than the LW. Summits are noisier no doubt about it.

The LW has a luxury item price tag and comes with too many excuses. Ugly ta-boot, but what can you expect when it comes from Kookifornia's sister Ill.

I've used 5 different climbers and own 3, 2 are the ones mentioned.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I have an API that it seems like everytime I move my foot just a little it pings the paltform. Which model do you have? The Racketmaster I or the Racketmaster II? LOL! API platforms are ridiculously loud due to the open c-channel construction. My Dad uses one to this day and the amount of noise he makes going up a tree is unreal.....I love him to death but I can't stand to hunt within a half mile of him....but I do just for the fellowship. LOL! Just as an FYI to anyone reading all this, a Cougar Claw platform is right there with the Lone Wolf as far as quietness during climbing and while moving your feet around on stand goes. They're made right here in Alabama too!

clee
September 28th, 2010, 05:28 PM
LMAO... you are upset huh buddy? summit is HOLLOW ALUMINIUM... LW is CAST.... its common sense and we dont need ANY study to determine something so obvious!

I don't care what a LW is made out of. When I decide that I would like to buy a product, I start researching what I would like to buy by looking at 'reviews' of particular brands. I don't base my decisions on one review, but I try and make an educated choice. Most of the time, this has worked for me and sometimes it hasn't. In my experience, almost all of the op's claims are greatly exagerated and dramatized.

But if I were looking to buy a new climber, my opinion could have been swayed a bit by this supposed review. That is what is annoying.

FishingBen
September 28th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Now mind you I'm a fatboy so I need size and strength and I'm adament about comfort. So what if I got a Summit Titan top piece with a surround seat for comfort and a LW bottom for noise? Or what about a LW wide sit and climb with a summit surround seat? Or any other suggestions?

IA Monsterbuck
September 28th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Interested in hearing how your 2 year old LW compares to the new chinese version. You might be looking for another Summit.

nodog
September 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM
Now mind you I'm a fatboy so I need size and strength and I'm adament about comfort. So what if I got a Summit Titan top piece with a surround seat for comfort and a LW bottom for noise? Or what about a LW wide sit and climb with a summit surround seat? Or any other suggestions?

Now your talking a better stand than what either puts out alone. I'd go with an adjustable bottom although the way they adjust isn't too easy.

WhitetailChaser
September 28th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Now mind you I'm a fatboy so I need size and strength and I'm adament about comfort. So what if I got a Summit Titan top piece with a surround seat for comfort and a LW bottom for noise? Or what about a LW wide sit and climb with a summit surround seat? Or any other suggestions? Sounds like a pretty good plan to me.....don't be afraid to mix and match if the cost doesn't deter you. Depending on the situation, I mix and match amongst my climbers often. That Lone Wolf wide sit and climb with a Summit seat on it sounds like the cat's meow to me for a really quiet, packable stand that should be really comfortable for a big guy. If there is ANYWAY possible, I recommend that any and everybody considering buying a climbing stand actually try one out first. I.E. set it up in your yard a few times, walk through the woods with it on your back, climb up in it a time or two, etc. I know that's sometimes hard to pull off, but down here in our neck of woods LOTS of guys hunt and you could probably find somebody within a reasonable drive that would let you try theirs out. Perhaps you could find somebody via tndeer.com?

brandon1009
September 28th, 2010, 05:43 PM
I don't care what a LW is made out of.

yea... no kidding. your opinion was already made up and you did everything you could to debunk an honest opinion. Ive had BOTH as well and I agree 100% with what the op said.

if your a fatboy, or want to sleep in the dang stand... buy a summit. all others, LW.

Rory/MO
September 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I think it's funny how a lot of people come out and practically say "FACT: LW IS BETTER THAN SUMMIT. SUMMIT CAN'T EVEN COMPETE." It's all personal preference, who cares what someone else's opinion is as long as what you're doing is working.

jonbooger
September 28th, 2010, 05:54 PM

:ROFLMAO: and you must drive a Dodge, PAL. Who cares what the deck is made of, $4 worth of padding and carpet and no more noise, no more slipping when wet out, and no more cold feet on late season days, regardless the brand of stand, even cheap walmart ones.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 05:58 PM
yea... no kidding. your opinion was already made up and you did everything you could to debunk an honest opinion. Ive had BOTH as well and I agree 100% with what the op said.

if your a fatboy, or want to sleep in the dang stand... buy a summit. all others, LW.

You're one of those "I'm right, you're wrong no matter what" guys, huh. Good luck this season!

jjcard41
September 28th, 2010, 06:16 PM

It's sounds like you need to grow up a little bit and show some respect. You are NOT the only opinion here. And where do you get off calling other people fat for using a bigger stand...some people.

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I did post about the stand making noise in another post, glad you looked before bashing me. I got that problem resolved and am very pleased with the help i received from Weave. Had to take a file to the stand and remove the powder coating.

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 07:18 PM

You honestly think I spent $270 on a stand just so I could come on here and write a review? Wow wish I had that kind of money! I got the stand because I don't have the cash to buy another LW. Plus my wife felt the 360 degree solid bar on the summit would make her feel safer. So I bought it, used it, and then after running into several issues I felt compelled to write a review for others.

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I don't care what a LW is made out of. When I decide that I would like to buy a product, I start researching what I would like to buy by looking at 'reviews' of particular brands. I don't base my decisions on one review, but I try and make an educated choice. Most of the time, this has worked for me and sometimes it hasn't. In my experience, almost all of the op's claims are greatly exagerated and dramatized.

But if I were looking to buy a new climber, my opinion could have been swayed a bit by this supposed review. That is what is annoying.

If you are planning on buying the same summit climber I have, I hope my review does sway you. Because if it sways you, then obviously you would be bothered by the same things I am with the stand. If your not then it wont affect you. I never said summit sucks. I was even very specific to give my review only on the model I have, Outfitter series viper ultra. I made no sweeping summit sucks statements. I did comment on some things about the stand that are universal on summit stands, but I don't mean that to mean that summit just sucks in general. Since writing that I have 1 more thing to add.

Pro: I was actually really impressed with how nice, and easy to use, the climbing harness the stand came with. My wife needed one, as we couldn't afford to buy another vest style one like mine, and it really fit the bill. The one my LW came with was much more confusing and I never did use it, pretty sure i threw it away.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 07:47 PM
You honestly think I spent $270 on a stand just so I could come on here and write a review? Wow wish I had that kind of money! I got the stand because I don't have the cash to buy another LW. Plus my wife felt the 360 degree solid bar on the summit would make her feel safer. So I bought it, used it, and then after running into several issues I felt compelled to write a review for others.

No, I don't think that. I bought a string suppressor last year that had great reviews on here. I never could get it to work for me. After talking with the company, I still couldn't get it to work the way that I thought it should so I sent it back. No worries. I didn't then come on here and talk about how it was a POS. It obviously worked for others so I let it be.

I was out Sat. hunting and I had two deer walk up on me. I got my bow, stood up, adjusted to a good shooting position, etc. and those deer never heard that noisy Summit. In fact, I've killed 7 deer in the past 2 years out of it and to my knowledge, not one of them ever heard that noisy old Summit.

Save yourself all regrets and take the stand back and buck up and buy a LW. You've already proven that you will never be happy with a Summit, or at least the one that you have. I hope that you're able to work out and be happy with what you have.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 07:52 PM

And I also think that you wanted a LW all along, so whatever you bought, if it wasn't a LW, wasn't going to be good enough.

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 08:01 PM
No, I don't think that. I bought a string suppressor last year that had great reviews on here. I never could get it to work for me. After talking with the company, I still couldn't get it to work the way that I thought it should so I sent it back. No worries. I didn't then come on here and talk about how it was a POS. It obviously worked for others so I let it be.

I was out Sat. hunting and I had two deer walk up on me. I got my bow, stood up, adjusted to a good shooting position, etc. and those deer never heard that noisy Summit. In fact, I've killed 7 deer in the past 2 years out of it and to my knowledge, not one of them ever heard that noisy old Summit.

Save yourself all regrets and take the stand back and buck up and buy a LW. You've already proven that you will never be happy with a Summit, or at least the one that you have. I hope that you're able to work out and be happy with what you have.

Not posting a review about your suppressor is your choice, not sure what your point is here really. I never said it was a pos. I even posted some things I like about it. And after resolving the noise issue i'm much happier since that was my biggest complaint in my review. I even posted a youtube video of the squeak if you think I was making it up you can go watch it. I am not going to be returning it cause, as i said, one of the pros is the 360 degree bar that makes my wife feel safer. And I am very happy with what I have, a LW. The summit is my wifes!

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I think it's funny how a lot of people come out and practically say "FACT: LW IS BETTER THAN SUMMIT. SUMMIT CAN'T EVEN COMPETE." It's all personal preference, who cares what someone else's opinion is as long as what you're doing is working.

Its not an opinion its fact. If you ever decide to use them both you will see what I'm talking about. Yes it is personal preference but still those areas I listed are superior with the LW. But carry on fellers with whatever stand you choose because I really could care less.

Skeeter 58
September 28th, 2010, 08:22 PM

I was typing up a response to this post and then I decided that its so dumb that it does not even deserve a response. Dude you are way out there and obviously just like to stir the pot. I'm outta here.

clee
September 28th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Its not an opinion its fact. If you ever decide to use them both you will see what I'm talking about. Yes it is personal preference but still those areas I listed are superior with the LW. But carry on fellers with whatever stand you choose because I really could care less.

You must be ignorant of the definition of the word fact.

One eye
September 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Interested in hearing how your 2 year old LW compares to the new chinese version. You might be looking for another Summit.

LOL! Bingo!

Jfriesner
September 28th, 2010, 08:52 PM
LOL! Bingo!

I am bummed to hear LW has decided to move production overseas. I can't hardly blame them with our countries ridiculous taxes. I would hope it wouldn't affect the quality of the stand as many companies products we use every day are now made in china. Doesn't mean the quality WILL go down, just means it might. I hope it doesn't.

dbowling
September 28th, 2010, 09:12 PM
The noise issue is huge right now and the biggest reason I want to return it. If anyone has had similar issue and was able to resolve it I would like to know the trick. It only happens on hardwood trees. The teeth just squeak like crazy any time the hunter moves or is climbing. The green strap maybe used to tie the two halves together, but according to the directions its main purpose is to hold the top section in place and that is where my complaint came in as to its poor design and having a strap and a rope that don't remain attached to the stand. Zip ties aren't a big issue and i think I said that, just makes it look homemade. And I honestly don't see why the summit seat wouldn't fit the LW. They have the same strap system to hold them in place. Just have to undo and then redo all the straps and I would think it would work. to fix the squeaking issue take a file and file the paint and sharp edges down a little on both top/bottom, this will eliminate the noise..the green strap can be run through the front rung on the bottom and over the top rail you sit on to climb, leave it loose till you get to the height you want to be sit on seat lift up your feet and tighten strap up until it slightly raises the bottom, now when you stand your weight will lock top/bottom to tree like the lone wolf and will be very secure...just dont raise too high.

Rory/MO
September 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM

It's also a fact that my Hoyt is a much far superior bow to your Elite. And that my Shuttle T's are much better broadheads than your Slick Tricks.

madarchery
September 28th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Clee you need to read the original post again. I am not seeing where POS was used anywhere. He stated his opinions. there his, it his review. Anyone reading this comes into it understanding its HOS review of the stands. And of course this review will be based upon his needs in a stand.

You come here and muddy the water and attack a persons review because you do not agree and want to validate your equipment as being the best. You want to do a head to head comparison by all means do so. Buy one of each evaluate and write it up.

But until then do us a favor and relax. Its one persons review. There are no tests or controls its all opinions no need for attacks.

Now you want to do a noise study I bet the LW wins hands down.:zip:

Seabee99
September 29th, 2010, 12:08 AM
My directions say to use a file on the powdercoat if it begins to squeak. I have been using an old API bowhunter for the last 10 years and I am much happier with my new Summit Razor. Another gentleman commented on the height of the seat and how it isn't shooter friendly. I would have agreed with that until I adjusted the seat to a higher position. I must say I am happy with my Summit. I messed around with a LW at Gander Mtn before I bought the summit, but I wasn't really that impressed with the product for the price. I just don't believe that there is a climber that can do everything perfect. Especially for the price of a Summit. It is comfortable and that was my main concern. I would have bought a Treewalker over a LW.

clee
September 29th, 2010, 12:09 AM

Sorry, I have climbed many different kinds of trees with mine and have never had any kind of sound even remotely close to what he is describing. And I think there are a lot of posts here that will say the same thing.

I carry my stand anywhere from .5 miles to over a mile sometimes and I haven't found it to be that cumbersome. I used to use a backpack that I attached to the stand, but that did make it quite heavy and I have switched to a large fanny pack style pack. Problem solved.

The new backpack straps that they sell also act as this rope to connect the top and bottom while your in the tree. I think the op is being a bit nitpicky with this

This is just not true. If you lengthen the cable one notch, it is more like 1-2 inches of adjustment, not 4-5 inches.

Come on, now we're gonna complain about the way in which the padding strap is on the stand. Don't you think that is a bit petty.

Well, he had to make this review legit, so he had at least one positive here. I guess if he went ahead and said that it wasn't that comfortable, everyone would see that this was bs.

There are a ton of people on here and everywhere in the hunting world that will attest to the quality of their Summit stand. And this guy posts a review where the only positive thing that he can say is it has a comfortable seat. And later, he does add that they send a good harness with the stand. I'm not trying to tell everyone that what I use is the best or anything like that, all I'm saying is that this op didn't give this stand a chance. It wasn't a LW, so it wasn't going to be good enough regardless.

And to Madarchery, you're right. This is his review and it is all opinion. When others come on here and start stating that everything that is said is fact, that's when it is annoying.

MAVinWA
September 29th, 2010, 12:19 AM
pretty simple...once you hunt in a LW stand, nothing else will compare.
I have a sit-n-climber, Alpha & Assault (LW sticks for these and those sticks are great).

used: summit, Ameritech, and an off brand private design. They didn't come close in comparing during the hunt performance to LW.

MasterBlaster
September 29th, 2010, 12:29 AM
I've used a summit for about 8 seasons now and hunt a lot. In Texas I hunt at lest 3 days per week from October through mid Jan. I have never had it squeak on a tree one time. As far as folding flat I don't see what difference that would really make. Like the other other guy said u aren't walking sideways!
I agree the black shrink tubing is crap and does not last. I just cut it off and replace it with duct tape each season.
Although j have never used a lone wolf they really don't look comfortable at all and are WAY over priced. To me they are the double bull blind of tree stands. Way to expensive for what you get. And yes I could afford one if I wanted it. I always look for a good value and a fair price.

jonbooger
September 29th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Clee you need to read the original post again. I am not seeing where POS was used anywhere. He stated his opinions. there his, it his review. Anyone reading this comes into it understanding its HOS review of the stands. And of course this review will be based upon his needs in a stand.

You come here and muddy the water and attack a persons review because you do not agree and want to validate your equipment as being the best. You want to do a head to head comparison by all means do so. Buy one of each evaluate and write it up.

But until then do us a favor and relax. Its one persons review. There are no tests or controls its all opinions no need for attacks.

Now you want to do a noise study I bet the LW wins hands down.:zip:

Where pray tell does this "noise" everybody is yaking about come from? I watched the video OP posted and I can't see how any stand, LW or Summit could make a squeak if there was a hunter standing on that platform with the teeth dug into the tree. I've had both brands and never once heard any noise.
P.S. Try not to scare away CLEE, I like looking at his AVATAR.

Anynamewilldo
September 29th, 2010, 08:48 AM
See the ratchet staps going from front corner of this climber to the back of the base section. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/the-stinger-climber-climbing-tree-stand-by-ameristep.aspx?a=536662 I diont know if you can do this to a summit but it makes this climber rock solid. Doubt it would squeek then.

BagginBigguns
September 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Where pray tell does this "noise" everybody is yaking about come from? I watched the video OP posted and I can't see how any stand, LW or Summit could make a squeak if there was a hunter standing on that platform with the teeth dug into the tree. I've had both brands and never once heard any noise.
P.S. Try not to scare away CLEE, I like looking at his AVATAR.

It's obviously coming from the teeth moving against the tree, just as the video clearly demonstrates. Are you questioning whether that's what is really happening according to what the OP has described? Where's the confusion here? :confused3:

jonbooger
September 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
It's obviously coming from the teeth moving against the tree, just as the video clearly demonstrates. Are you questioning whether that's what is really happening according to what the OP has described? Where's the confusion here? :confused3:

I am questioning how the teeth will be moving against the tree if you are standing on the platform and the teeth are dug into the tree as they should be. I would think if the stand is not digging into the tree with weight on it then something might be wrong here, possibly putting the hunter in danger. Might be a defective product.

Nate's Parker
September 29th, 2010, 09:13 AM
I will give you 50 for your summit and you couldn't give me your loan wolf wait yeah you could I would sell it and buy another summit

madarchery
September 29th, 2010, 09:39 AM
JonBooger it was stated in the OP the noise was while climbing. I, like the original poster want to be dead silent climbing as well as every other aspect of the hunt. And noise concerns. Until you sit at the base of a tree and listen to someone using both stands you will not understand the difference. Its there in a big way.

Summit beats LW in price and comfort. Thats it. And 2 of the least issues with me. Price, well I pay more for less. Heck hunters will pay more for bottled piss over the lifetime of the stands. And its not proven.

Comfort? I don;t get this as I have not seen a problem. But I give it to summit. 4" of foam will be softer then 1". But 3" of summits seems not needed for me.

Lw is better because they do not pop out new designs every year and yet still do not address problems with there stands. There design is noisy, there cable system needs improvement, there large and clumsy packing. There stir-ups are bolt on add ons. They have yet over many years to tackle these issues or integrate into the stands. LW takes the time to research and work out the details to make the product better. In doing so the changes are able to be integrated into existing stands.

BagginBigguns
September 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I am questioning how the teeth will be moving against the tree if you are standing on the platform and the teeth are dug into the tree as they should be. I would think if the stand is not digging into the tree with weight on it then something might be wrong here, possibly putting the hunter in danger. Might be a defective product.

My opinion is that there will always be at least some relative motion between stand and tree whenever the hunter shifts his weight on the platform. This is because neither the tree nor the stand can ever be infinitely rigid. Whether that generates any noise, I would think, depends on the nature of the friction between the stand and tree. Just as not all basketball shoes squeak on the court, and not all basketball courts are prone to sqeakiness, some stand/tree combinations may or may not tend to squeak. Apparently the OP's stand tends to sqeak on the trees he hunts from. Even if this isn't a universal problem with Summit stands, it's noteworthy in the review.

brandon1009
September 29th, 2010, 09:47 AM
wow clee posted a lot on this thread???? thats crazy.... he wrote a dang manifest! and spent HOURS talking about it!

Ill keep stiring... LW is superior unless your BIG boned, want to SLEEP in your stand, and YEs you CAN save some $$$....get what you pay for

WhitetailChaser
September 29th, 2010, 10:16 AM
JonBooger it was stated in the OP the noise was while climbing. I, like the original poster want to be dead silent climbing as well as every other aspect of the hunt. What kind of noise are you talking about? Metallic noises? Bark noises from the stand interfacing the tree? I'm curious. If you're saying a LW will be dead silent on EVERY kind of tree, I'll have to respectfully disagree. Any and every metallic, serrated structure that penetrates and deflects hard, brittle, pronouced tree bark (hickorys, chestnut oaks, white oak variations with more scaley type bark, pines etc.) will make noise on the front side of the tree. Every time, without exception, on every single type of treestand when weight is applied to the platform and/or the top piece.....some more, some less. I can be dead silent on a poplar with ANY TREESTAND on the market that I've owned (API, Cougar Claw, Summit, Ol Man) on the way up....stand 20 yards away and you'll never hear me. The biggest noise contributor to getting up a tree, regardless of stand selection, is sloppiness or lack of ability (has a lot of do with the hunter's physical condition, flexibility, and rigidity between the feet to platform connection) in keeping the metal teeth on the pieces off of the bark WHILE moving them up or down, especially on harder barked trees. I do think that the Lone Wolf is more quiet on a wider variety of trees and hunters though. Regardless, practice and physical conditioning can elminate a WHOLE lot of noise regadless of stand selection. One or the other alone won't do it though in my opinion. My father has LOTS of practice, but he's a big man in horrible shape and he just doesn't have the flexibility and strength to keep the teeth off the tree on the way up and down and doesn't feather the stand down into position with each move. Hence, he makes lots of noice. Just wanted to quanitfy my opinion on the whole issue a little bit.

BagginBigguns
September 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM
What kind of noise are you talking about? Metallic noises? Bark noises from the tree interfacing the tree? I'm curious.

From post #37 by the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvTv9Zwg8AM

Jfriesner
September 29th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Since a few people keep jumping on this missunderstanding allow me to clarify. I don't mean the summit only adjusts 4-5" in the radius the cable creats, but rather the adjustment knobs or whatever you want to call them are spaced that far apart. As in comparison to my LW belt has an adjustment notch every .75" or so. No matter how those two numbers transfer into inches of adjustment around the tree, I don't know. I just know that the summit is far less adjustable.

Jfriesner
September 29th, 2010, 10:40 AM

The stand made just as much noise whether I was standing on it and shifting my weight, or just moving it side to side as I did in the video. But as I previously stated in this thread, that issue has been resolved. My only beef is that I had to take a chain saw file to a brand new stand and remove the paint to make it quiet enough to even think about bringing into the woods.

WhitetailChaser
September 29th, 2010, 10:48 AM
From post #37 by the OP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvTv9Zwg8AM I understand this completely, but that's not what the poster I quoted is talking about (to my knowledge). I'm talking about a "non-defective" or "filed down" Summit. Sounds like the powder coating on Summit stands these days has substantially higher coefficient of friction than older stands causing squeaking issues at the tree interface. I'm not arguing with the OP about that issue at all....I believe him completely even though I haven't had a chance to watch the video (can't view youtube here at work). I also believe that he shouldn't have to fix that issue himself. Summit should remedy it via design change or do the filing cleanup themselves prior to shipping the stand out. I'm just curious what the guy I quoted is talking about on a "non-squeaky" Summit.

Joe W.
September 29th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Glad you like yours. Perhaps its the model I have that is having issues? I honestly don't know and I'm not out to bash any patricular hunter or company. I'm just posting my expereince with the summit product I have. I agree that they do bite very well! My wife didn't comment last night on how she felt a bit safer climbing with the summit because it bit deeper and it has a 360 degree solid bar so she felt enveloped instead of out in the open like the LW. I however like being out in the open!

Maybe you really didn't understand what you were buying? It does not perform the same as a LW because it is not designed to. I understand my Viper does not pack as well as a LW and I have to stand to shoot (confidently) but the comfort for my 50 year old bones and the ease of being able to sit and climb more than outweighed other issues. Plus in 5 seasons with my Viper I have had ZERO noise issues. It is the quietest stand I have owned....I threw away my gorilla because it was so uncomfortable and noisy.

PLUS the stand is 40% cheaper than a LW.....about $150.00 in my area.

madarchery
September 29th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Joe are you comparing the LW sit and climb? Seems in your post you are comparing to a LW hand climber when you state sitting to climb and better seat.

TrpD345
September 29th, 2010, 01:19 PM
I have used a Summit climber for about 20 years. I currently own 2 of the Lone Wolf Alpha hang-ons stands, which for a lot of situations I consider to be the best hang on stand made (notice I said a lot of situations, not all). I have bought the Lone Wolf climber on 2 different occasions trying to like it, because I do like the platform. As far as comparing the Lone Wolf to the Summit in the climbing and comfort categories, in my opinion the Summit wins hands down. This is just my opinion, but I have bought the Lone Wolf twice, trying to like it and almost trying to be anti-Summit, for no other reason than to be different from the others in my area. I always come back to the Summit and sell the lone Wolf! I have spoke on the phone at length with the owner of Lone Wolf, trying to convince him to make the Sit and Climb with a fixed bar in the front that you could sit on to climb and not be forced/swung into the tree with your knees. It would be a far more comfortable stand to climb with if this was the case, as it is with many other climbers. The bar swinging out of the way for bow hunting is just not an issue for me. Again, in my opinion the Lone Wolf hanging stands are great stands, but the climbers are just not what they could be, especially for the price. My only complaint that I can really come up with on the Summit is sometimes it just bights the tree too much, and this is when I make the most noise with the stand, trying to dis-engage it.:icon_salut:

slayer73
September 29th, 2010, 03:01 PM
I borrowed a buddys sit and climb and can't wait to try it out. I have the viper right now and it is a little noisy but I love that stand. It is really only noisy when, like a previous poster said, you walk thru brush and it slaps the stand or if you are not careful when putting it on the tree. I want to see or hear for myself what the whole LW thing is about. I am not a skeptic just there are so many that are only for LW or Summit that it is like a Mathews/Hoyt type of thing.

eyedoc
September 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM

My thoughts exactly. Summit is a little louder setting up, however I am able sit that much longer and quieter all because of the added comfort.

buckmadness75
September 29th, 2010, 04:31 PM
i got a viper and i love it never had any problems at all plus i got 3 summitt hang-ons that are awesome.i do have some lower market brands that i like too all in preference i guess but to me there are some inexpensive stands out there that compare up to higher end. basically i believe that alot of the components are the same manufacterer anyway.

jlh42581
September 29th, 2010, 05:19 PM
This treestand has been used and abused for a long time. Notice the date on that traction belt for those of you who are concerned about the life of the belt. The belt basically looks brand new.

thats my bday lol

White Wizzard
October 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I have a Viper SS and the only regret I have is not getting a Goliath. (Got the Viper brand new off a buddy for 200 bucks though)

White Wizzard
October 6th, 2010, 01:03 AM
On the noisy note... I have never used a LW, but I don't think a little noise going up or down is really going to bother anything. I went hunting this weekend in a stand a buddy set, and I had no shots(limbs blocking every lane). After lunch I spent about 15 mins stompin around cracking and snaping branches so I could have a shot. I was very loud and my buddy said he could hear me over 100 yards away. Got up in my stand and not 20 mins went by and I had deer walking right by. To bad they were on the side that I didn't clear out. HA! JM2cents:smile:

dmr
October 28th, 2010, 01:59 PM
This is my third year using a summit viper. The only complaint I have is the uncomfortable shoulder straps that it came with. Replaced those with padded ones and the weight feels cut in half. Mine is very quiet on everything except wild cherry... but there probably aren't any stands that can climb a cherry without the bark-crunching sound. In fact, I climbed up a tree one time with a doe and two fawns 50 yds. away and they never even looked my way. I do like the idea of having an easier to pack stand, so maybe I'll try a lone wolf someday too.

WesternMAHunter
October 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I just switched back from a Lone Wolf to a Summit again... just more comfortable in Summitt... Lone Wolf was quiet and easy though.

pure havoc
October 28th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I have one of the old 04 summit bushmaster I paid $169 new and its a great climber it makes 0 noise going up the tree as far as squeaks , the shrink tubing on the cables can be replaced for $10 its to help keep the cables quiet , if you dont like the way it looks when it peels back then your just out there to look good and maybe you should just leave it at home and stay in bed :) , Remember its a tool its going to take some abuse , comfort wise its just plain comfortable , I have been out at 4 am sitting just to get ahead of the deercoming in to bed down and have put a few sleepy hrs in while waiting on first light . Im not going to say its better than any other climber out there because I cannot confirm it , but for the $$$ you cant go wrong . I cant say any of the above for the newer models because I dont use one , my tree strap holds mine together after the footbed slides inside the seat section . its packs tight and makes no noise during travel . My friend bought a newer one and it doesnt work that way , It is kinda jerry rigged together its much bigger than mine and I myself wouldnt want to haul it around like that it clangs and bangs a little , Find yourself a older model and test with that you will find its just a better unit than some of the new ones. dont get me wrong I would love to try out a LW and see for myself but I spend 8-12 hrs in my stand per day and comfort is #1 . the factory straps are uncomfortable but for $20 on ebay you can buy a set of alice straps and belt and I still have less than $200 in it

sawtoothscream
October 28th, 2010, 02:53 PM
think im going to buy the summit switch blade. packs down like a LW but you still get the summit seat. i jsut have to get something to replace the viper i have. its the steel model and it feels like it weighs a ton!!!! esp when the back packs on it as well. might look into love wolf but comfort and price are a concern. my viper took me for a ride down the tree today though which i wasnt to excited about. get half way up then slide back down. alot craped myself haah. think that was my fault though. might look into those equilizer stands as well. the adjustments would be a big bonus

DenCMSC
October 28th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I definitely prefer my Lone Wolf Sit-N-Climb over my Summit Viper SS. The LW is quieter and packs easier, and is extremely stable on the tree. Comfort, though, goes to the Summit.....