PDA

View Full Version : Any luck yet?

squirrelshooter
October 2nd, 2010, 10:55 PM
I went out this evening and saw a young 5 point. I drew on him, but saved him for my 13 year old who has yet to get a deer with stick and string. We will be going back out next weekend. It was near a pond that is just about dry, I think it may have keyed on the water as it is pretty dry!

fishmannyj
October 2nd, 2010, 11:29 PM
Got to go this morning for the first time of the season. Saw 5 does at 8:33am a little out of range from the stand. It was good just to get out there and get started!

swampboss
October 3rd, 2010, 01:13 PM
This 8pt came in with 3 other bucks , a 6pt and two spikes. The shot was a little high but the muzzy still put him down about 100yrds out. ( The hole in photo is the exit )
http://i940.photobucket.com/albums/ad250/RScott_09/bow8pt10-2-10-1.jpg

talon1961
October 3rd, 2010, 09:26 PM
I went out yesterday and saw several. At 10:00 in the morning I decided to climb down and head back to the truck for a little water and a granola bar. I lowered the bow and started unhooking my climber and I hear deer running towards me. I am pulling my bow back up as quickly as I can just as a big doe gets into bow range. I am trying to get the pull up rope off when a second doe comes down the same trail just flying. By the time I get the bow off they are gone, but I hear another one coming, this time its grunting non-stop and I see horns. I nock an arrow and get ready. I grunt and stop him at 20 yards, broadside. A quick glance tells me he's a tall wide 4 point. Not even a hint of an eyeguard either. He's probably 2.5 - 3.5 year old, but not legal. He was about 17" wide- two to three inches wider than his ears and about 8-10 inches above them as well. I thought it strange for a buck to be dogging these does this early. We say 15 deer total that morning (3 bucks with that 4 pt. the largest). In the afternoon, I had 5 within 30 yards. The first two were small doe fawns (no spots though) and they just played around for a while before walking back down the trail they came in on. The next 3 came in from the opposite direction-all were fawns as well (no spots). I kept waiting for a mature doe or legal buck but none came in. My brother saw two, a button buck and a doe fawn that came in to his set-up about a half-hour apart. There are lots of young deer, so you know there's got to be some mature ones as well, but they didn't show up yesterday. It still was great to be in the woods again. The acorns were falling it sounded like rain all afternoon with the wind blowing the cold front in.

talon1961
October 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
Oh yeah, nice buck there swampboss!:thumbs_up

knighten
October 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I had one walk by stand at 6am sunday,to dark to shoot.At 10 one winded me blowing and stomping to thick to see what it was.Way to start of the season swampboss.

swampboss
October 5th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Guys, this year here in the south part of the state we have a serious drought. The acorn crop looks to be poor to fair. The browse is dry and crispy. The deer are close to water and very active moving from oak to oak looking for food. I have seen more bucks than does! Here it is gonna be one of those years where once you find a really hot white oak with the ground trampled and lots of droppings , you better hunt it . I knew this would be a good year. Last year was so bad with it so wet and overload of food . It let a lot of bucks live another year. Now the food is slim and they have to move.
Im waiting on the right wind to hunt my pop up on an old pond back in the woods. !

GoneUser1
October 5th, 2010, 05:14 PM
yea i was in arkansas county last weekend hunting. saw tremendous amount of deer and bucks. dry dry dry. not many acorns and browse. deer are flocking though to where the food is. also seeing some studs, esp on cameras down there. great area. west arkansas the deer are hitting acorns where there are some. kinda hit and miss.