PDA

View Full Version : Almost lost one yesterday

Edge 1
October 17th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Got a text from my good buddy yesterday morning stating that he smoked a good buck with his bow at 7:45 and was going looking for it at 8:15. I texted back immediately to ask where did you hit the deer.

He replied " quartering to me right behind the shoulder". I immediately fired back "don't go after him yet, I'll drive out and help you look for him.

The key factor to consider when you bow hunt in Florida is obviously the heat. Most of the season you are playing beat the clock as soon as you shoot a deer if you don't like feeding buzzards. Yesterday morning was cool out for here (58 degrees at first daylight) but got to upper 70's real quick.

Figuring we had limited time we took up the trail around 10:30 with another friends beagle. Limited dark red blood (spotty) for about fifty yards then nothing.

Dog gets birdy and keeps wanting to go south into the orange groves but it appeared that the buck wanted to get into a thick head of pines and wetland to the west.

No arrow, no more blood, my buddy with the dog keeps looking west while me and the shooter pick the area apart on foot looking for ANYTHING to go on.

At 12:30 we've about lost hope and me and the shooter jump on the Rhino to start picking apart the block of groves to the south where the dog liked originally. We go to the end of the block south and start heading east slowly, looking down the rows when we see a lone buzzard jump down to the ground from the top of an orange tree.

Ride down there to investigate and flush the buzzard out of the next row and there's the buck laying dead. A miracle we recovered this deer. Buck was shot at ten yards from the ground using natural cover. Arrow struck the deer hard quartering to him just behind his right shoulder and barely exited the opposite side right in front of the left ham. Arrow barely caught the nearside lung, clipped the liver and went diagonally through all of the guts before exiting with an inch or two sticking out.

Morals of the story:

1. listen to your dog

2. don't shoot at quartering to deer

For what it's worth the arrow was an axis FMJ 400 and the Broadhead was a Rage Two blade. The Rage hit about midway up the deer and made 2-3" cut at entry point, both blades broke off inside the deer and left a small exit wound with almost no blood to follow.

bowhuntnsteve
October 17th, 2010, 12:11 PM
nothing better than a dogs sniffer!

BOHO
October 17th, 2010, 12:13 PM
glad ya'll found him. good job !!

Hoyt1021
October 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
good job finding him!! too bad people continue to use rage