PDA

View Full Version : October Lull, Big Bucks

huntindad
October 18th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Well, Seems like this time of year the big bucks are few and far between. I've been seeing some good deer movement, but no big bucks. I checked my trail cam this weekend and was glad to see some of the big boys were showing up. So I'm guessing things aren't to far away. Hopefully we'll get some good weather and things will really start to pick up in next couple of weeks. I'm hoping to catch one of these big boys on their feet in the daylight!

bigdoglanyards
October 18th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Some good looking deer there! I have only seen 2 bucks so far this year while hunting. Neither was a shooter. Like you I am still getting night time pics though. Don't give up, sooner or later the big boys will slip up and you will get a shot! (at least that is what I am telling myself at this point)

bigdoglanyards
October 18th, 2010, 08:16 PM

huntindad
October 19th, 2010, 09:14 AM
We need some cooler temps! I'm loving this rain though.

That Bushnell Camera has some good distance at night! What model is that?

swampboss
October 19th, 2010, 10:10 PM
I've seen several shooters this year P/Y ++ Just could not get them in range. The first week they were still in their summer pattern and were coming in to feed with other bucks. They were hitting the few oaks that were dropping early. The drought has them hungry. I have been trying to get one coming in to water but no luck. Now they are starting to respond to the hunting pressure and dont move till dark. The pre rut should get them moving good soon.

talon1961
October 20th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I saw 30+ doe this past weekend and only one buck, and it wasn't legal! On our trail cams, there are several pics of really nice bucks, but all beteen 8:30 pm and 5:00 am. Not one single pic of a legal buck during the daylight hours. We set up a cam on a scrape line and there were six different bucks using them, and all were between midnight and 5:00 am. I bet this has to do with the nearly full moon right now. In the next week or week and a half, as the moon wanes toward the new moon, the daylight activity should really pick up. I hope so. There are a couple of real "bruisers" I'd love to get a chance to stick an arrow into! Good luck all!

bigdoglanyards
October 21st, 2010, 08:49 AM
We need some cooler temps! I'm loving this rain though.

That Bushnell Camera has some good distance at night! What model is that?

Its the Trophy cam w/o the view screen inside.

bigdoglanyards
October 21st, 2010, 03:34 PM
I just want to add that yesterday I had a mature buck at 18 yards during day light hours! Can i get a woohoo!?!

huntindad
October 21st, 2010, 05:51 PM
I just want to add that yesterday I had a mature buck at 18 yards during day light hours! Can i get a woohoo!?!

well, was he not big enough or what!??

bigdoglanyards
October 21st, 2010, 09:26 PM
well, was he not big enough or what!??

Long story but the jist of it is this: This deer has a running buddy that is a stud! I was just wondering if his friend was around and let it get too dark to take the shot.....

swampboss
October 28th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think the lull is about to be over. I have seen a big jump i new scrapes the past few days. Yesterday about an hour before dark I saw tons of deer ( at least 40 ) while driving on a 5 mile stretch of back road. This cold weather is gonna bring the big ones out of the thickets. If you can hunt, now is the time before the gun season starts and they are driven back to heavy cover from the pressure.

huntindad
October 29th, 2010, 09:14 AM
yeah, the cooler temps definitely had the bucks on their feet last night! We seen 4 bucks in about a 30 minute span, all working rubs and scrapes. I got my buddy killing a big 5 point on film on public ground.

swampboss
October 29th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I was right , the lull has passed. Yesterday eve. about 6:00 I had a 2yr old 5pt come in while two does were feeding under a big red oak. He walked to where one doe had been and sniffed the ground. Then he made a light grunt and headed straight for the doe, as soon a she started to move away he went into full tending grunt mode, grunting all the way to her picking up speed all the way and chased her out of hearing at full speed. 10 min. later a 3 yr old 7pt came in and worked a scrape. ( lucky for him I have only one buck tag left ) He needs to grow two more years anyway.