PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a "clicker"

suwat
November 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Lately my form etc etc has gone south. I am all over the place with my anchor. Could be many things and I am going back to basics to try to get back.
I shoot off the shelf, recurve and long bow. I don`t hunt any more, just shoot target, roving and 3D. I was wondering what advice anyone may have on the use of a clicker as sold by 3 Rivers Archery to reestablish my anchor point.
Pros and cons appreciated,
Thanks in advance

Viper1
November 4th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Suwat -

A clicker is the best device on a bow you'll ever hate. The worse your form has gotten, for whatever reason, the worse your experience with a clicker will be. Like a sight does for aiming, a clicker is unforgiving to form inconsistencies.

Suggestion: with the lightest bow you have or have access to (or even a stretch band), work on your anchor, without shooting. Practice it until it feels natural and reproducible. After that, try anchoring, holding and then shooting for real. That exercise alone might be enough, if not then we can talk about clickers. What becomes painfully (literally - painfully) obvious with a clicker, is how many factors influence draw length; some you probably haven't even thought of.

And for the record, it takes most people weeks or months to get used to a clicker and typically the better part of a year to actually learn to use it correctly - so approach with caution.

Viper1 out.

suwat
November 5th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks Viper, Your sage advise will be taken.
My anchor problem is that I usually shoot shoot 20 to 30 yards only. (At these ranges I am one of the best, 3-5 inch groups, if I may say so myself. lol.) I have a dead release and a high anchor. Lately we have been doing some long range fun roving 50 yards plus out to about 65 yards, just for fun but competative. My high anchor doesn't allow me to see the target at those ranges. So I have changed to a more traditional corner of the mouth or just under the chin anchor and over drawing to get less arrow loft and speed. Now I seem to have totally flummoxed my brain and I am doing poorly at all ranges. I will take your suggestions with a light bow and try to reagin my old form. It is amazing how a little regular shooting using a different form etc. will throw one off.

Viper1
November 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
suwat -

I think someone said that it only takes 20 shots to ingrain an error, but 2,000 to un-learn it.

If I might suggest: If you plan on shooting the longer distances, decide on which anchor you want to use first and stick with that, making that your norm. Some folks do extremely well face walking, but I never could get the hang of it.

Viper1 out.

suwat
November 5th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks again Viper,
Regards,
Suwat