Archery Talk Forum banner

Judging mass from trailcam pictures........

2K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  OHIOARCHER36 
#1 ·
Seems when talking about scores on racks, that the mass measurements are some of the hardest to get close on from looking at TC pics. Some racks due to the way they are made, just scream "HEAVY", especially if they do not have a lot of spread. But some just hide it well.

This is often the measurements that I miss by the greatest margin as well.

Just for fun, here is a video clip of a buck, that I just so happen to know the "exact" circumference measurements on. From this video, for those who care to take their best shot at it. Give us your best guess on each measurement as well as the total mass measurements for this buck. Starting at the bases for each antler.

Example:
Right - 5 1/2, 4,4,3 1/2 = 17
Left - 5, 4 1/2, 4, 3 = 16 1/2
Total = 33 1/2

Might be able to dig up another pic, I just don't have very many. I'll post up actual measurements later.

http://s494.photobucket.com/albums/rr305/scrapejuice28/Hunting/?action=view&current=IM000026a.mp4

See less See more
#13 ·
I told you guys judging mass is harder than you think from TC pics. Honestly my guess on this buck would have been closer to what you guys would have said also.

My 16 yr old son, argued with me that it was a ____" animal. I figured he was just using them "fishing" glasses. He ended up being a lot closer than I was.

As for the weight, your going to be surprised. I'll give you a hint. The taxidermist measured the neck at 24"(meaning the circumference of the neck under the jawbone, after it was skinned). He's not one of those that stretch the neck to make it appear bigger than it actually is either.

This is a good thread, wish more would get in on it and use it as a learning tool.

#15 ·
For myself judging trail cam pics is much easier at home off the memory card than on the "net". Body size comes into play so much when judging antlers, when I'm looking at deer at home I at least have a body size estimate to go on, I can't do that online.

I'd guess 35 or so. Key word "guess".

#28 ·
Alright, drum role please..........:drummer:

212 lbs. field dressed.
and Here are the mass measurements.
Left side: H1 = 5 1/2, H2 = 4 1/2, H3 = 4 1/2, H4 = 5
Right side: H1 = 5 1/2, H2 = 4 3/4, H3 = 5 1/4, H4 = 5
Total = 40"

#31 ·
I swear I can't imagine a buck weighing over 225 field dressed. I know that people kill them all the time the exceed 250 and 300 ain't uncommon in Canada. But I swear, I love to see one with my own eyes someday!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.