PDA

View Full Version : my 17 day iowa adventure(long)

basnbuks
November 28th, 2010, 06:37 PM
ok guys here we go and poke all the fun you want, cause i ant no english grammer schollar, just a maint. worker in a beer lid factory in da hills of va. to start once i found i got a tag i started my research. they was 5 of us comin all but 1 had never been, me and jon left va on oct 28 the rest a week later. i had got to know the hood from here on at, and i must say da hood is 1 hale of a guy, and didnt hold nuttin back(had to let the shine do all the talkin lol), anyways arrived at hoods house fri morn around daybreak off we go to were we were setting up home for awhile, unpacked and took off to spot #1 hood had a couple stands close and toad us go up that draw and hang a stand this eve for tom morn then we will go to other spots, left there an headed to the hills, you iowans call em hills more like mounds to me. hood showed us around most of the public land and we met up with his buddy andy, andy showed us some of his stands and welcomed us to hunt them also. on to sat. well lets just skip that day and say i shoulda ended my hunt 10 min into the stand hood told me to hang in the draw. strike 1, sunday ummm lets see oh yea think we went south and looked at some river bottom land, and met george, traded ol george a set of 155 sheds he found in the spring for a quart of apple pie and he toad me hell boy hes still out there go kill him. cleared some lanes and headed back to home,(70 miles away). mon nov 1 was my bday so i sat 1 of andys stands that was ripped with some big rubs. saw a few nice bucks early but let em walk . scouted another place hood said he hunted back in his younger days and found what i concidered a perfect funnel, oh yea jon hunted the draw were i got strike1 and he recieved strike 1 there also,next morn went into the place wed scouted day be4 after daylight to try an fig out the deer movements, hung a couple stands and cams. this place was tore all to hell and i was excited to say the least. spot #1 now looking for spot#2 went in an area that a friend back home had hunted a few years earlier. wow thought i found parridise, spent the next couple days learning this area and fig ways in an out and hung 3 stands. i was looking for 3 areas i could rotate around in and on sunday mornin day 10 found spot # 3 and while headed back in to hang a stand decided to use my doe tag. longest shot ive ever taken at a breathing animal, and pinwheeled her at 52 yards, got stand hung and deer out and took the rest of daylight to work deer up and regroup. my 3 places were set and its time to get serious. warm weather had set in, i decided on mon i would sit all day in spot # 3 , well at 1pm and only 1 deer sighting and temps pushing 80 i had to come out because i was baking in the sun and was getting sick at my stomach, tues morn i hunted spot2 with cody (cody is what we named our decoy) i was set up next to a pond in between 3 bedding areas and any buck within a half mile stuck his head out would see cody. and man what a day i had, had 7 bucks within 20 yards and at 4 i looked up the draw inbetween 2 pines and saw a deer threw up the binos thought what looked to be a small buck, he started walkin away toward the hardwood, gave him a grunt. nothing, grunted again kept walkin, grabbed the horns and crashed em together, still kept walkin, hmm sat 5 min said oh well mite as well do a full out rattle session, rattled loud for about 2 min and while i was hanging the horns up heard what sounded like a quarter horse comein off the hardwood ridge an was getting faster, didnt even look for it just grabbed my bow an when i got my grip on it he stepped out the sapplins and thats when all hell broke loose in my head, he was 50 yards from cody head stretched out hair raised on his back and closin fast, i cant tell u anything that went thru my head other than my mind was goin 100mph and this was the biggest buck id ever laid my eyes on, what seemed like eternity was actually only a few seconds and and when his eyes stepped behind the dead limb in fron of me i drew my bow anchored put pin behind his shoulder on his heart and bleated at him about 7 steps from cody(the look on codys face was priceless) he didnt stop so i bleated louder and he didnt stop but just kinda hesitated and done a little side step and wham i let him have it he took off down the bank and around the edge of the pond. i watched him walk around trying to steady my binos and lookin for the entry hole didnt see nuttin but looked like he was havin a hard time walkin. the next 30 min i was a total train wreck, i couldnt have even toad u my name at this point, after calming down i knew my shot was low but wasnt sure how low and i didnt see him come out of the thicket. after waiting an hour i decided i would climb down crawl to cody and look for my arrow in the tall grass, thats when i relized i had missed well 1 blade just gave him a little shave, and the trouble walking was actually were he was sinking in the mud and strugglin to pick his feet up ,strike 2 and a hard 1 at that, spent the next 24 hrs debating my next move pukin and cryin about what i had done. actually relived that few min in my head over an over and over, and wed night after a talk with da hood an uncle jessie, i relized it was over and i had to move on and with only a few more days left i had already had 2 chances and if the 3rd chance come along, i was makin the best of it, well it didnt take long and im not going in to all of it because its posted here under basnbuks iowa buck and you can read it there, all in all now that ive had time to reflect, had i not taken the buck and come home empty handed i woulda been satisfied because to me this was the hunt of a lifetime and the good lord willin i will be back. a big thanks to da hood and andy, and all the good people we met in iowa, i must say that in my 41 years of places ive been you iowans are the best ive met.. sorry for such a long post but thought i would share maybe some1 will enjoy cause i sure did...... basdnbuks

The Hood
November 28th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I be DaHood

iowamike
November 28th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Glad you had a good time, nice pair of bucks between you and your buddy.

Buckblood
November 28th, 2010, 07:01 PM
Sounds like Da Hood is good people! Like much of the folks I met in Iowa while I was there this year. Congrats on your buck!

iowamike
November 28th, 2010, 07:04 PM
From "dahood"
Capitilization, The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off his horse, and helping your uncle jack off his horse. That was some great stuff. I'm gald I checked out the kill picks.

Again nice job basnbucks on your Iowa hunt, glad it worked out for you guys.

The Hood
November 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
From "dahood"
Capitilization, The difference between helping your Uncle Jack off his horse, and helping your uncle jack off his horse. That was some great stuff. I'm gald I checked out the kill picks.

Again nice job basnbucks on your Iowa hunt, glad it worked out for you guys.

Exactly what I was thinking...but Basnbuk is a southerner, You Know:wink:

cicero
November 28th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Great story!! gonna start putting in for Iowa next year. Just gotta figure where to go!!!!

The Hood
November 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Guess I better translate

off to spot #1 hood had a couple stands close and toad us go up that draw and hang a stand this eve for tom morn then we will go to other spots, left there an headed to the hills, you iowans call em hills more like mounds to me. hood showed us around most of the public land and we met up with his buddy andy, andy showed us some of his stands and welcomed us to hunt them also. on to sat. well lets just skip that day and say i shoulda ended my hunt 10 min into the stand hood told me to hang in the draw. strike 1

I SAID::::Park here and walk 100 yards up the valley and hang a stand....That's what I said and I waited at the truck guarding all the hunting gear for them. They hang a stand and was back to the truck in 15 minutes>>>-----> they both missed big Iowa bucks a 100 yards off the road...hehe

basnbuks
November 28th, 2010, 08:03 PM
yea a true bred southern rebel, from way back, im trying to add a trail cam pic of the buck i took but cant fig out how to edit and post it

basnbuks
November 28th, 2010, 08:05 PM
lol i just seen this thing gotta spell checker, think i should start usin it, lol and hows that work

basnbuks
November 28th, 2010, 08:10 PM
ok im a little slow, thats way us sothern boys are nice an slow, but when i got home was lookin at trail cam opics and found that i had got the bucks pic 2 days be4 i kilt him943988

The Hood
November 28th, 2010, 08:11 PM
spell check is over rated, I never us it:nyah:

The Hood
November 28th, 2010, 08:15 PM
ok im a little slow, thats way us sothern boys are nice an slow, but when i got home was lookin at trail cam opics and found that i had got the bucks pic 2 days be4 i kilt him943988

I'd have to say Buck Fewer got you with that deer. admit IT!

basnbuks
November 28th, 2010, 10:16 PM
when i stop gettin buck fever im done with it an i mean that!!!!!!

basnbuks
November 29th, 2010, 03:31 AM
ok dudes, im tryin to research next years adventure, im vacatin from oct 14 thru nov 28 or sumthin like that, spent 2005 -2009 in ohio on public ground and i cant handle the pressure up there, i dont work well with others in da woods, in other words i cant control how other idiots hunt and influence my hunt, so im open to suggestions. rite now im lookin at missouri, illinoise, or kansas. any ideas?

Mr. Cranium
November 29th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Good story and very nice kill. You wouldn't be related to Hunlee would you?

basnbuks
November 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM
well i dont reckon ima kin to no asians

The Hood
November 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
well i dont reckon ima kin to no asians:ROFLMAO:

That's funny

Hey! I'm waiting for Uncle Jesse's shipment to arrive

basnbuks
November 29th, 2010, 12:17 PM
yea i fig you was hes been a busy man rippin da roads just waitin to run into him, talk to andy im pretty sure the night on the town jessie left some layin around summers