PDA

View Full Version : Late Season Help

rmayflyfish
December 20th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Fellow Hunters,

Just wanted to ask an opinion. I am now at the end of my 5th season of hunting Ohio. This season, I thought was going to be my year to finally kill a deer in this great state. All I have ever wanted is just one chance at one good buck in Ohio, and then I will probably never return for another. I hunted harder than I have in any previous year during bow season with no success. I have always planned to kill my one and only Ohio deer with a bow.
I really have never had any intentions to gun hunt in Ohio. Not having any success during bow season, I then planned to come over to hunt during the first week of gun season with my muzzleloader. However, when I came over on that sunday evening to hunt and got settled in my truck to sleep for the night, I got a phone call that my wife's aunt (who lived with her and family for years) passed away and that I needed to come home right away, which I did. Therefore I couldn't hunt during the firearms season.
Then my next plan was to come over during this past weekend for the extended gun season. That hope was soon lost when I became very ill last week and couldn't make it.
I am wondering if it is worth my time and money to drive over for the muzzleloader season in Jan? I have never hunted whitetails this late in the season, so I don't know much as to what to expect or prepare for other than food sources. As I have posted before on here, this is my last season for hunting Ohio. I simply don't have the means of making it an affordable and worthwhile experience anymore. Any opinions on this would be greatly appreciated and welcomed.

Congratulations to those of you who have killed deer and posted the photos. I have enjoyed looking at them.

Thanks for your time.

25ft-up
December 20th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Give it a shot if you get a chance. Better than sitting on the couch. If there's little or no hunting pressure in your area at that time of year then you may have a chance a getting that buck. They often follow doe at that time of year so do the best you can to let the doe get by you without being busted. A little snow makes it easier. Find a good run between beds and feed that has tracks going in both directions or hunt an area with the most tracks. I never see them moving early morning when it's bitter cold. They'll move when the sun warms things up, though they may yard up someplace for days. Seems like the day that one moves, they all move. Good luck and don't give up.

pybowhtr
December 20th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Never give up hope on that big buck. It will happen just hang in there. I committed to killing a pope and young buck or nothing smaller as far as bow killed bucks. It tood me 5 years of hard hunting to make that one come true. I have never regreted and hunting time spent in the woods, always a good time and learning experience. Good hunting

redruff
December 20th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Why the self imposed pressure. Sure I'd like to shot a big buck but scouting, getting excited for the trip, and shooting any deer makes it fun for me.
Don't give up, just give up the self-imposed restrictions.

sloz
December 20th, 2010, 08:55 PM
imo scouting is the best way to improve your odds during late season. if you have areas where they are known to travel to find food then you have a good shot.

rmayflyfish
December 20th, 2010, 10:30 PM
redruff, I put the restrictions on myself to make the task harder, thus increasing the intrinsic value of the entire experience. Just something that I do, I would rather things be harder and actually put in a whole lot of work to achieve a goal, rather than just being happy with any animal that comes along.

sloz, I wish I could do the scouting part, however, If I could scout the property I hunt as much as I want, I would have probably killed a deer long ago. I live 3.5hrs away and work as a teacher, so taking time off is tough at times. Especially since I have already taken so much off.

Thanks for the opinions and encouragement. It is much needed at times.

redruff
December 21st, 2010, 12:17 AM
But if they are bumming you out why bother?

skyleralan
December 21st, 2010, 12:33 AM
If the land you are able to hunt has any type of cut crops preferably corn, you have a good chance of seeing a lot of deer. They should start patterning back to normal food cycles. Corn is a great energy source this late due to the weather so set up at around 2:30 making sure you are there in plenty of time to catch the early comers and get ready.

I am going to use this tactic all of late muzzleloader/bow season in Iowa.

Smart Pins
December 21st, 2010, 07:43 AM
There are some huge bucks taken every year in Ohio with muzzleloader. Concentrate on food sources and you may just bag one.. Good Luck