PDA

View Full Version : My take on types of tree stands

Rupypug
December 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Well after hunting this season with almost every type of tree stand lock on, climber, and tree saddle, I thought I would give my opinion on my favorite and maybe it will help someone. First off in the early season I love my tree saddle as it is light and I don't sweat. As the season goes on I want a seat under me. I have trees prepped for my Millennium lock on which has become my favorite stand. All you have to do is prepare a few trees before hand and then just carry the 14 pound stand on your back, climb up and slide it in the slot. As the season progresses and the deer change pattern I then turn to my climber to find them again. Once I do I prepare a tree in that area for my lock on and then so I don't over hunt that spot I get in my climber and find another spot and so on. If the area I am going in is new and I am not familiar with it I will choose a lock on and Lone Wolf sticks over the climber as it will allow me to get in almost any tree. By the way a ladder stand will work in place of where I use a lock on. I just wanted to post this as there is alot of debating on which type of stand is better. In my opinion there is a place for all of them. Using these methods has worked for me on national forest land for years. Hope this helps someone new.

phade
December 30th, 2010, 08:01 AM
I generally use ladder stands for areas where action is repeatable, ie. pinch points or funnels that are long-standing areas of travel. They make it quick and easy to enter/exit, and can sit there year-round with responsible stand maintenance. I'll also use them in areas where I need to get close to known bedding areas at different points of the season because of entry/exit feasibility. I don't like using them when having to put up spur of the moment sets, but have done so when options are limited...with two people, we can get them put together and up in 10-15 minutes with all lanes cleared. Not the most practical with two people, but still possible.

I really like ladders in the late season for solid areas...usually will set up a few with large platforms (rather than the small basic ladderstands) to increase range of movement when dealing with bulkier clothing, boots, etc. I can stretch a little if need be, and it seems to allow me to stay on stand a little longer during the colder weather.

Climbers are nice when you have climable trees and dont want to leave stands in the area. I generally will use them late season at times when I need to strike out to find yarding deer, etc. Rather noisey at times.

Hang-ons are great for many people who are aggressive to carry-in/carry-out. I've done it a couple times, but it's not something that I really enjoy doing at o'dark thirty. I mostly use temporary hang on sets (for a day or two) in areas that I need to respond to sign/observations, or on short trips. I like to set up mid -afternoon for the hunt, and will leave it be for the morning, and take down after the morning hunt. I'm just not personally a fan of setting them in the dark for a morning hunt because I always seem to be too noisey for my own liking. Any systems as far as receivers, etc. can help.

zyxw
December 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Not a bad system. I do about the same thing the only difference is I use all loc ons just different types for different situations. When puting up in a spot I know I use a big comfortable loc on, if it is in a place with bad crooked tres I have some that will adjust and work in them and when I'm looking for new spots i have a couple really small ones that are light weight and very easy to carry

tpcollins
December 30th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Rupypuq - I certainly wouldn't let "alot of debating on which stand is better" by people on AT influence which stands I should use. But I would take and print out Phade's response and read it everytime you get ready to set a stand - that's as good as it gets. I use all 3 types and have learned to put up a ladder stand by myself.

The only thing I'd add to Phade's post is to wait until the season winds down and then hit the woods, marking where are the defined trails are and these will indicate the most recent travel routes. Based on wind direction, you can find the best ambush spots and be ready for next season.

Rupypug
December 30th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I don't use ladders on public land which is all I hunt. I would if I hunted private.

phade
December 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I don't use ladders on public land which is all I hunt. I would if I hunted private.

To be honest, if you are on all public, I think you're working a good system, especially if you like the saddle.

Don't rule out ladders on public land in the right situation...they have to be remote, but can be a legit option. I usually scour sales for dirt cheap buys...I sometimes find basic ladders for $35-40. If you're not packing in-out, and leaving a hang on, it's probably cheaper just to leave the ladder than the hangon/sticks (unless you pull the sticks each hunt, which is a good idea). I know a few guys who hunt private areas that are regularly trespassed, and they buy el cheapo hang ons ($20-$40) and set them, and use a good set of LW sticks they carry in-out.

Dan P
December 30th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Well after hunting this season with almost every type of tree stand lock on, climber, and tree saddle, I thought I would give my opinion on my favorite and maybe it will help someone. First off in the early season I love my tree saddle as it is light and I don't sweat. As the season goes on I want a seat under me. I have trees prepped for my Millennium lock on which has become my favorite stand. All you have to do is prepare a few trees before hand and then just carry the 14 pound stand on your back, climb up and slide it in the slot. As the season progresses and the deer change pattern I then turn to my climber to find them again. Once I do I prepare a tree in that area for my lock on and then so I don't over hunt that spot I get in my climber and find another spot and so on. If the area I am going in is new and I am not familiar with it I will choose a lock on and Lone Wolf sticks over the climber as it will allow me to get in almost any tree. By the way a ladder stand will work in place of where I use a lock on. I just wanted to post this as there is alot of debating on which type of stand is better. In my opinion there is a place for all of them. Using these methods has worked for me on national forest land for years. Hope this helps someone new.

Thanks for your insights. I'm just in my third season of bowhunting, all of it on public land. I have a treesaddle, which I use with bucksteps; it's been a good combination for me. I also have a loc-on, that I use for later in the season. Eventually (i.e., when my wife says it's ok :) ) I'll get a climber. In terms of seeing deer, this has been my best season yet. I haven't taken a deer yet, but came closest yesterday; had a doe within 20-25 yards, but she was in real thick cover, so I didn't have a clear shot at her. I drew but didn't shoot, because I didn't want to take the chance that I would just wound her. Nonetheless, I was pretty elated about getting that close. Thanks again for your post, and good luck with the rest of your season.

adawg
December 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I have all the above mentioned stands and hunt just prive land where I can prepare multiple setups in advanced and find the saddle is the way to go. I like ladder stands, but after having been in the saddle now, I feel "naked in just about any other stand.

Chop1
December 30th, 2010, 01:35 PM
I have made a circle in my treestand choices. When I was a kid, I got started off in ladders. Then moved to climbers mostly, then I thought a loc on was just so much better than a ladder. With all that under my belt I have now decided that I like the ladder stands best. You can lean them up on any tree pretty much, it's up and done with just one strap to tighten. Much faster than any loc on system I have tried. I have been dissapointed so many times when I picked a tree for a loc on only to find out that the tree was too crooked for the sticks or the stand itself. All the ladder has to do is touch the tree in one tiny spot so it doesn't have to be perfectly straight. I still use my lone wolf set alot, but prefer the ladders. Ours are 18 ft and have a foot platform to stand and shoot if needed. Home made
Of course if you hunt public land and can't leave your stand up, it might not be the best option.

Viper69
December 30th, 2010, 01:47 PM
I use my climber for about 99% of my hunting. I have all my trees picked and climbed ahead of time. I mark the trees at the proper climbing height and direction. All shooting lanes are cut. The nice thing is you can set up several trees even in the same area and be very moblie..

Rupypug
December 30th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I use my climber for about 99% of my hunting. I have all my trees picked and climbed ahead of time. I mark the trees at the proper climbing height and direction. All shooting lanes are cut. The nice thing is you can set up several trees even in the same area and be very moblie..
That is a pretty good idea as well.

tocs
December 31st, 2010, 08:52 AM
Prepped tree's and either a windwalker on your back or the lighest lone wolf.