PDA

View Full Version : Brownell mini serving initial thoughts

60X
January 1st, 2011, 11:47 AM
I know alot of builders have been having great success with the brownell mini serving so I got a couple pounds and started building some with it. We got about 20 sets so far and here's our findings. It wraps nice and tight like halo. I don't think the breaking strength is as high as halo. I've had a couple pull throughs break while during back serves. Not an issue...just an adjustment. It seems to like more serving tension compared to halo. I've only used the clear(white) on 452x and while it doesn't seem to serve as clear as halo it does respond to chemicals better then halo and clears up quite nice. I expect this to be even better on astro flight. So far it looks to be a great serving material. As long as the durability is there I think Brownell has a winner.

Dthbyhoyt
January 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM
Bought a roll to try , just haven't had time yet ...but now that hunting season is over , I should find some time .

Spotshooter2
January 1st, 2011, 09:18 PM
60X , did Brownell give a breaking strength on it?

kwilde
January 1st, 2011, 09:24 PM
What chemicals are working to clear it up? I have a sample of Astro coming and will be trying the mini on it also.

ex-wolverine
January 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
I have made several sets with it now with now separation at all...ASTRO likes to be served tight anyway, so mini and ASTRO are a great combo...No Chemicals and best of all NO peep rotation!

I love the white ASTRO its as white as snow

TimZim
January 1st, 2011, 09:55 PM
Question for the mini serving users. I picked some up an applied it to a set of strings and it had white fuzzies everywhere. Did I get a bad roll? Havent seen any fuzziness on other samples that people are posting. Just curious thanks for any input!

TN ARCHER
January 2nd, 2011, 12:36 AM
Tom,

Are you getting any color bleeding when burnishing the white Astro and another color?

That blue and white Looks awesome!!

ex-wolverine
January 2nd, 2011, 12:38 AM
Mainly with the red...The white is awesome! When I use it I make sure that I burnish the othe4r color seprately before twisting...Afetr Im finished makeing the string a soft white rag cleans the white up pretty good...Red is really the only color that bleeds the most

Tom,

Are you getting any color bleeding when burnishing the white Astro and another color?

That blue and white Looks awesome!!

PDB Strings
January 2nd, 2011, 09:05 AM
The white and blue astro colors are awesome. I agree the red is the only color that bleeds on me. I find that for some reason the mini serving likes to double back over itself when starting and finishing a serving at slower serving speeds.

48archer
January 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I used white mini today and it didnt go clear on a red and gray string that i built. It was very cloudy and not very transparate, and yes i served it extremly tight. The string material was Astro.

sawdust2
January 28th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Milky Mini

We just finished a 452X string and cable and tried the Mini serving for the first time. It was milky even with a very tight wrap. We went back to Spider Wire for the wheel and it cleared up very nicely and at a lowed poundage. I just hope the durability of the Mini is better.