PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Kawasaki Mule.

maddog68
January 6th, 2011, 11:31 AM
The wife wants a side by side 4 seat UTV for her birthday. She saw a Kawasaki Mule and really liked it. Does anyone have comments good or bad on the Mule. The only negative I found on the spec's is the top speed of only 25 MPH. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MIbowhunter49
January 6th, 2011, 11:33 AM
General archery was a good place to post this.

Huff/MO
January 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
General archery was a good place to post this.

Do you ever say anything nice? You've pissed and moaned in every thread this morning.

MIbowhunter49
January 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Oh, so the mule is archery related?

GATOR-EYE
January 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I have mine for 3 or 4 years now and haven't had a problem with it, and my bow fits nicely in the back(now it's archery related)

Yes top speed is only 25 but I don't like to go that fast anyway, I might hit a bump and spill my beer.:darkbeer:

4 wheel drive works great it'll go through anything.

tnarb
January 6th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I looked at that as well as the Polaris Ranger, actually had a ranger for a week. Really liked it a lot, but mu currnt garage woldn;t support it.....read thatas my wife didn;t want to have to scrape her windshield or walk in the rain. So back it went and I got a 550 Sportsman. But the Ranger would be my pick. for all the reasons you could think of.....they have a Youtube video, comparing the two, and also there are other videos that compare the Ranger to a lot of different side by sides.

mez
January 6th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Depends on what you are looking for in the machine. I don't think you will find many complaints about the Mule, excellent machine. They were designed to be a work machine, hauling things around farm/ranch or construction sites etc. They are not fast and they don't have a lot of torque/power. Will get you most places on the flat and do pretty well in snow and mud. Good friend of mine is on his second Mule and he loves them. Uses it on his ranch. First one had 18,000 miles on it and all he ever did was replace the CV boots. Starts on the first crank every time no matter the weather. They are a great machine.

The Polaris Ranger and machines like that are essentially an ATV with a a cab and steering wheel. They have a lot more power/torque and will go places the Mule will not. They are also fast, I have a Ranger and top speed is 57mph. They are much better on hills and steep country than the mule. These are more of an all purpose machine you can drive them slow and do the same things as the mule but can also take them into a lot tougher country. I live in the Black Hills of SD so the faster speed is nice. When driving on actual roads in the hills 45mph beats the heck out of 25. Mule also won't go the places I need mine to go here in the hills.

I prefer the Ranger because of the versatility. Would buy a Mule if I was looking for that type of machine.

wesgillock
January 7th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Don't over look the Yamaha Rhino. I have a 700fi camo thaks me places I can't walk to and halls anything I need to.970731 doen't show much of rhino but this is 170lb buck I halled out of a valley I couldnt clime much less drag. expencive yes but all my hunting buddies love it over ther regular 4 wheelers. will go where they cant. only problem is, with, and no power steering- yet!

410gage
January 22nd, 2011, 06:05 AM
I have a 20001 Diesel Mule. I had and used a Deere Gator for ten years, and loved it. But it was 2wd and would not go in snow over 3 inches deep. So I bought this Kawasaki from a neighbor that was upgrading. It is a workhorse, and would climb a wall if I wanted to. I use it here every single day on my farm and take it to hunt camp as well. Speed over 25 means nothing to me. A pal has a Yamaha Rhino that will probably do 45, and he goes that fast, and it is in the shop for repairs twice a year! If I did not have this Mule, it would be a newer 4wd JD Gator.

Hunterhutch
January 22nd, 2011, 07:53 AM
Maddog68 Check out my add on the Bad Boy it is a true work horse that thing will climb walls

Caddo Creek
January 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Had a Mule 3010 4wd since 2003. Didn't do anything to it but change oil and air filter. Put it in low and it will climb a wall with 500 lbs in back. I routinely carried 900 lbs of corn in back.

The factory tires are worthless. I did put lift kit and Essex Bigfoot Tires on it immediately. I just bought a Polaris Ranger Crew, hope it's half as trouble free as the Mule. Changed because ride is much softer on Ranger. Mule is like riding in a tractor, slower, much stiffer, and tougher from what I've heard. Can't say personally, just bought the Crew.

dbackinstructor
January 28th, 2011, 05:51 PM
I have a 4010 trans diesel. I haven't really put it through much yet besides building fence and moving cows and it might have 15 hrs on now. I looked at everything when we decided we wanted a utv. We had to have a bench seat and when we were looking around my wife liked the trans second seat so the whole fam can pile in if need be.

These have more than enough power and torque in the diesel motor anyways.

I did find out why 25mph is tops on these machines. It is a federal law that a utv with a bench seat has to be governed at 25mph. Honda, Gator, Mule are all governed. I asked how polaris got away with it in the ranger? I guess they are given the feds the middle finger salute and ignoring it. This was at what was the biggest polaris dealership in Nebraska 2 years prior, they elected to drop polaris because of it.

allseasonhunter
February 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
hands down the polaris ranger. my 2011 browning ltd is great all the power you need and a top speed of 50. already camoed and lots of cool extra's. drove the rest and just not the same. by the way there is no such law. just something dealers with slow machines came up with

Steeler Fan
February 17th, 2011, 09:29 AM
The Mules are the bench mark for that type of UTV....work/jobsight specific. They run forever and they hold their value on the used market suprisingly well. No they are not known for their offroad prowess or there comfortable ride but they are known for the ability to get things done that need to get done. We have a couple in our hunting group. With no suspension travel they are not great off road rigs but they will get thru most stuff if it is not to technical. They are not comparable to the Rangers, Rhino's or my Teryx but they are not meant to be either. As a buyer, you just need to figure out what your specific needs are and how you will use it. Kawasaki also has the Mule 610 XC out. This is a smaller mule but comes with 26" Big Horns and a bit more suspension than the other mules....doesn't break the bank either. Might be a model of interest if your looking for a machine to put around the yard with for chores and explore some relaxing trails etc. I see now you want a 4 seet so the 610 will not work. Polaris now has the Ranger crew available in a 500cc version for a nice price....worth looking into.

Bownut400
February 17th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Just my .02 We have a 2001 mule 610 at work we have had it since it was new and use it daily to pack tools and whatever will fit in it. I am not a fan of the mule but I have to admit it runs every time I get into it. It being a company owned rig, it's probably not treated the best and keeps going. Like steeler fan said it's not a rock crawler but would do nicely on two track roads for short periods of time.
At the other plant where I work some times they have a Kubota rvt 900 4x4 that thing is tough and has lots of grunt. I have but one complaint about that is that I don't know why it has a brake peddle, you let off the gas and it is going to stop in a hurry if your not ready, your kissing the wind shield. I myself am in the market and have been researching UTV's and almost decided on a polaris ranger 500 efi midsized. I found alot of info on PRCforum.com I think that is the right add. Good Luck