PDA

View Full Version : for those that use thumb releases

HAPPY DAD
February 11th, 2011, 09:14 PM
When you switched from a strap release over to a thumb release how long did it take to get used to it?

i have a thumb release but I just got a new scott that has the rope between the strap and the caliper and I like it alot.

Problem is neither release feels the same and POI and anchor points are different for both

What should i do

Thatmichhunter
February 11th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I shot a Target 4 for part of last summer and was comfortable with it after a couple hours, not comfortable enough to hunt with it but I only lost 5-6 points off of my 3-D scores in the month I shot it

Thatmichhunter
February 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM
I re-read that and it didn't really answer any of your questions...sorry

TXD
February 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM
the way the string is released can change POI. the best way to have close POI with different releases is to have the same type of jaws. like a dual jaw or single jaw or a rope release.

mine had different POI as i tried the short n sweet, 3dhunter, and short n sweet with the rope release. i picked the 3dhunter and adjusted to that type of release

Naples
February 11th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Took me an entire year to completely get used to it, where there was no thinking whatsoever while shooting.

HAPPY DAD
February 11th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Took me an entire year to completely get used to it, where there was no thinking whatsoever while shooting.

10 4.......At this point I seem to be snapping the trigger.....I guess since I am not used to my thumb being the trigger finger

pabuckslayer08
February 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
Ive been struggling this year with mine and today switched back to a trigger release and gained nearly 7 points per game back to my averages. The thumb release is good for those with the good form but for trigger punchers they make it worse I feel

dtrkyman
February 11th, 2011, 11:35 PM
do not try and get used to it by shooting, what i mean is do some blank bailing and get the feel for it before you go out and try shooting targets with it. you could also make a string bow to practice with.

otherwise you may develop some bad habits.

bbcobra
February 12th, 2011, 12:08 AM
I made the switch from a scott little bitty goose about two weeks go to a carter target 4+. I shot for about 2 hours one evening to decide on a consistant anchor point I liked and could repeat. I also moved the knob around to get a comfortable position. I've also tried a insatiable 3 but went back to the target 4. I keep shooting it 3 or 4 days a week and havent gong back to the scott yet. My son took it over anyway. I dont plan to switch.
As far as the POI changing, mine did. My groups hit about 2+ inches left when shooting the thumb releasel. I made sure I had a good repeatable anchor and then moved my sight to adjust back to center. Stick with it and I think you'll see good results. My groups are more consistant now.

oh, also to stop or help the trigger punching, try the blind bale shooting as has been suggested. Also if you will place your thumb around the trigger and then pull on your pinky you basically pull back like a back tension release to set it off. This gives you a surprise release. I havent mastered this yet but am working on it. I seem to be doing ok with just squeezing the shot rather than punching it.

hunt1687
February 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM
I really like my thumb release(Trubal). The first few arrows I shot I thought no way I'm going to get used to it but after about 60 or 70 arrows I couldn't imagine shooting any other type of release. I use it for spots, 3D and hunting. It has made me a better shooter IMHO. I love it for hunting because I can just hook it on the loop and forget it. Give yourself time to get used to your release of choice, change sights, rest or retune to the new release and shoot. Half the fun is in the tinkering anyways. Have fun.

Naples
February 12th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Ive been struggling this year with mine and today switched back to a trigger release and gained nearly 7 points per game back to my averages. The thumb release is good for those with the good form but for trigger punchers they make it worse I feel

Why I did was steal Randy Ullmer practice routine, my first 5 shots and last 5 shots are from 2 feet away from the target, I close my eyes and just think about the release, not aiming, this eventually helped make it muscle memory and now all I think about is aiming, it helped me.