Archery Talk Forum banner

What kind of Fletch for hunting do you use?

1K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Jerry/NJ 
#1 ·
Hi, I was going to get a fletcher, but I don`t know what kind of fletch to get? Right helical or left helical? I was going to get the grayling. I also shot fixed blades if that makes a difference?? Thanks Ryan

#2 ·
if you are seriously going to get into fletching your own arrows then you should go ahead and spend the extra money on a bitzenburger jig. they are the best and will last you forever.

left and right makes no difference accept when your arrows hit, left helical tends to unscrew your points a little bit. they wont fall out or anything but they will loosen a bit. also if you are going to use feathers you must match right wing with right helical and left wing with left. i fletch as much right as i can get with bohning blazer vanes with great results. they are great for BHs and fly like 4" vanes.

#3 ·
Ryan;

I agree the Bitzenburger Jig is the way to go. I use 4" AAE SpeedFlite vanes and straight offset of 2 deg. (Rt). I have used several fixed blade Broadheads and am currantly using Slick Trick 125 grain.

#4 ·
I have the Grayling and it is a okay fletching jig, for I have never had a problem with mine. As far as fletch goes look at the arrows you have now from the knock end towards the point of the arrow, does the curve of the fletch go to the right or left, this is the jig you should get if the curve to the left then get a left or if they curve to the right then get a right jig. When I shoot my fixed blades I prefer a little longer fletch so the rear of the arrow does the steering of the arrow instead of the broadhead steering the arrow, usually 4 or 5 in feathers or vanes, but now I mostly use mech's I shoot 3 to 4 in feathers or vanes. If yoiu have anymore questions please ask. Ron

#9 ·
I just started fletching my own again after many years of not doing it. I have a bitz with a LH helical. I couldn't find left wing feathers anywhere. So I bought a right wing clamp and feathers. So if you plan on using feathers I would suggest getting a right helical fletcher. It doesn't matter with vanes.

#10 ·
you can get all the left side feathers you want from cabelas in 4 or 5 in, the 3in are only right sidedand same with flu flu's cost 19.99 for 4 in and youget 50 5in 50 per 21.99 4in per `100 35.99 and 5in per 100 38.99

#13 ·
I use to get them at the pro shop in South Dakota but don't make it up there much anymore so I just order them now. Plus I don't go through as many anymore since I started shooting at different spots. :D

#14 ·
fletching

I use left wing because it was the first fletcher i bought. Mainly shoot fingers so I mainly shoot feathers just love there forgivness. Plus once you start fletchiing your own arrows you wont mind refletching as needed. I redo my arrows often to put fresh feathers on and change colors every time.Good luck and have some fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.