PDA

View Full Version : One Pin

ozzz
February 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
For hunting from a treestand with a one pin sight and a 28/70 Elite Pulse what yardage would you reccomend sighting the bow in at and why? Thanks guys

Naples
February 16th, 2011, 03:46 PM
30, I really can't shoot much past 40 yards in my deer woods, so it's easy to compensate 10 yards either way.

DesignedToHunt
February 16th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I would suggest setting the pin somewhere between 25-27 yards depending on your speed. That usually gives you a solid route of holding where you want to hit and having the arrow impact a little high or a little low in the kill zone from 0-30 yards. Again, this will depend on just how fast your bow is shooting. Then as Naples said, if you want to take a 40 yard shot you just have to know how high to hold the pin.

ozzz
February 16th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I should be shooting 300 maybe up to 315 with the set up.

February 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I like the 27 to 28 suggestion

basnbuks
February 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I would suggest setting the pin somewhere between 25-27 yards depending on your speed. That usually gives you a solid route of holding where you want to hit and having the arrow impact a little high or a little low in the kill zone from 0-30 yards. Again, this will depend on just how fast your bow is shooting. Then as Naples said, if you want to take a 40 yard shot you just have to know how high to hold the pin.

X2. With ur speeds lined in at 25 u should be good out to 40 with minimal compensation

bowhuntermitch
February 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM
What is your furthest shot out of your treestands?

ozzz
February 16th, 2011, 05:02 PM
What about for like a ten yard shot? If the pin was set at 25 what would you have to do to compensate to ten?

bowhuntermitch
February 16th, 2011, 05:27 PM
Put it about 3" below where you want to hit, and you'll be fine.

Skeeter 58
February 16th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I have shot one fixed pin for years with less DW and speed than what you have. I sight for 20 yards. Still shoots pretty flat to 25 yards. Anything over that I would just hold up a tad but I never shoot that far in the woods.

vaun67
February 16th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Buy yourself a single pin adjustable sight. I.E. Vital Gear Starpro or a CBE sight. I leave mine set on 20 yds and if it's passing by at 35, move the sight! It takes 2 seconds and you can hold exactly where you want to hit. No need to compensate! I've been hunting with this type of set up since the early 90's and have never had an issue.

Darton01
February 16th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Mines a slider sight. I keep it at 25 yards while hunting,unless I need to move it.

ozzz
February 16th, 2011, 06:47 PM
My fear with a slider sight is not only adjusting the sight if I have to but also determining the range. Even with a range finder which I have that seems like a lot to do while the deer is walking up on you. That being said I have never tried one. Are there any lower profile adjustable sights? I dont like a huge bulky sight hanging off my bow.

basnbuks
February 16th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I shot a 1 pin for years and about 10 yrs ago went to a slider , ive never been faced with not having time to adj, but at the same time ive only adj it once from a treestand , i keep mine set at 20 to 25 depending were my shots are and dont worry about moving it unless it past 40 , ive killed truckloads from a stand and can only remember 1 that was past 25, if im on the ground and im taking a shot 99% of the time the deer has no idea im there so i have time to adjust. As far as the close shots, say under 10 thats were most of my misses come from, but as a general rule il hold low on the heart and usually place it rite in the pocket, depending on the angle. Hope this helps

ozzz
February 16th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I shot a 1 pin for years and about 10 yrs ago went to a slider , ive never been faced with not having time to adj, but at the same time ive only adj it once from a treestand , i keep mine set at 20 to 25 depending were my shots are and dont worry about moving it unless it past 40 , ive killed truckloads from a stand and can only remember 1 that was past 25, if im on the ground and im taking a shot 99% of the time the deer has no idea im there so i have time to adjust. As far as the close shots, say under 10 thats were most of my misses come from, but as a general rule il hold low on the heart and usually place it rite in the pocket, depending on the angle. Hope this helps

It does, thanks man for the response.

Dthbyhoyt
February 16th, 2011, 09:06 PM
25 - 28 yards

FiddlersGreen
February 16th, 2011, 09:10 PM
25 - 28 yards

agreed. i shoot a single pin, and i sight in at around 25-28 yards as well.

22jdub
February 16th, 2011, 09:16 PM
25 is usually a good setting depending on your speed as others have said. But that only applies if u r hunting in a spot where you may have a 35 yard shot. I use an hha slider and my rampage xt is shooting 295 and 25 yards is perfect foe shooting 10-35 yards with minimal compensation.

pointystick
February 16th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I shoot an HHA slider. I would recommend setting it at the 25-27 yards also. But instead of yardage I would see where I am even between 20 and 30 and that would be where I set it (most likely 25-27. Then you hold dead on out to 30-32. For anything in the 40 range 2 inches high and the 10 range 2 inches low. Good luck. I switched to the single last year and have been really happy with the setup

Skeeter 58
February 17th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Forgot to mention that I have a HHA slider sight but rarely use it for hunting. Eye sight is not the greatest in poor light conditions so I need a large pin. Thats why I use a .040 TFO fixed pin instead. Works for me.

AfricasNinja
February 17th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Best way to find out is practice. Put a treestand in your yard and practice. Yes , long shots are fun to practicebut for hunting situations I've seen more misses under 10 yards than anything. Shoot a lot and get used to your bow.

phade
February 17th, 2011, 11:23 AM
I've made my fair share of misses...I've missed more under 10 yards than I care to remember over my years, and only one over 30 yards (whitetails only).

maxx532
February 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Glad I'm not the only one missing on those tight shots... I feel better now... Missed more at 5 than 25... Thinking it's mostly due to lack of " short yardage" practice.

Sometimes you have to hold high because your arrow is going to stay below your sight plane, and because of the steep angle, and inch can make a big difference.

AfricasNinja
February 17th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Glad I'm not the only one missing on those tight shots... I feel better now... Missed more at 5 than 25... Thinking it's mostly due to lack of " short yardage" practice.

Sometimes you have to hold high because your arrow is going to stay below your sight plane, and because of the steep angle, and inch can make a big difference.

Glad you mentioned it. This is what I was driving at. The OP needs to spend time with his bow shooting those shots. No one can tell him where to hold or where to aim due to the geometry of his setup might be different than yours or mine. Only way to know is to get out there and practice. And no just flat ground practice. Try it up in the air. You'll find you will have to contort your body to make some steeper shots.