PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunting

masonbanta
March 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I am interested in heading down one of these springs to try for an osceola. Would prefer to hunt some public ground unless someone has some private we could do a trespass fee on. If someone could point me in the right direction as to which WMA is good for some bird hunting I would really appreciate it.

tenpin
March 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
I have hunted for years in Forida on the three lakes WMA 441 60 and canoe creek I have found about 40 birds with four nice gobblers scouting this year,there is a lot of hunters but I have been succcesful in the last few years

masonbanta
March 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Cool thanks for the info. Now get out there and smack one of them birds and show us some pics.

TomBuck2
April 4th, 2011, 12:37 AM
To get a true osceola turkey you need to be south of Gainesville. If you want to hunt public land you should keep heading south to the Kissimmee River Public Use Area. You don't need a wildlife management stamp for that. Only a hunting license and a turkey permit. Its pretty big all along the river and there are many places to park and walk in. My second choice would be Arbuckle Tract. Here you will need a management stamp, but it is loaded with birds. Problem with this place is that the season is only 3 or 5 days long, and it might be a lottery system i'm not sure. Both are covered in birds!! Both are crowded!! Every management area in florida seems to be crowded. If you can afford to you need to go with an outfitter. Less people screwing you up. I live here in central florida and know these two areas well. There are a couple thousand acres on the KRPUA that are bow and muzzleloader shotgun only (if you are trying to get one with a bow). I hunted that place several time and all but twice I was the only one there!! It's called starvation slough. Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

masonbanta
April 5th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Thanks Tombuck. I just about had a heart attack looking at outfitter prices for an Osceola hunt down there. Most are $1800 for a bare bones hunt. I am pretty good at calling and finding birds so wouldn't necessarily need a guide but its looking like they maybe the reasonable option. I will look into those areas though.

TomBuck2
April 6th, 2011, 12:48 AM
Yeah 1800 is pretty cheap actually. The reason for the high prices is that no where else can you kill a osceola. I've been considering guiding a little and 1800.00 is what I would charge for a three dAy hunt. I put some osceola hunts on you tube you should check out. My wife and I have gotten into filming our hunts and I've put 5 turkey hunts on. Any way good luck finding what your looking for and give me shout if you need any questions answered about florida turkeys. They are my passion. To see those youtube vids just search JeremyLBrooker. No spaces all one word and the jlb have to be capitalized. Have fun