PDA

View Full Version : Another arrow weight question

Pastor Jamie
March 17th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the patience and input...

Let's assume KE stays consistent between a 393 grain arrow going 258fps and a 440 grain arrow going 244fps. Now assume you are using mechanical broadheads, not fixed-blade. Should the heavier arrow penetrate better?

Or to ask it another way...2 guys shoot the same bow...both use the same mechanical. Guy #1 shoots a 393 grain arrow at 258 fps (KE 58#). Guy #2 shoots a 440 grain arrow at 244fps (also KE 58#). Is Guy #2 going to get better results/penetration with the mechanical?

In other words, if you are going to use mechanicals, is it wiser to use a heavier arrow for penetration to maintain momentum, as long as KE stays consistent? If you are on the border of deciding to use mechanicals or not, is one way to hedge in favor of them to increase arrow weight, as long as you don't lose KE in the process?

I know that the one who hits the spot will kill what he is shooting at, but I'm speaking theoretically...indulge me please.

Thanks.

montanaarchery
March 17th, 2011, 07:55 PM
How many lbs of draw weight

Pastor Jamie
March 17th, 2011, 08:45 PM
How many lbs of draw weight

58#

montanaarchery
March 18th, 2011, 01:03 AM
If you are hunting deer either will work fine, however if you are after elk and larger critters I would go with the heavier arrow. They are both 100% efficient.

K&K
March 18th, 2011, 02:05 AM
If you are hunting deer either will work fine, however if you are after elk and larger critters I would go with the heavier arrow. They are both 100% efficient.

Agree^^^