PDA

View Full Version : Which bowfishing bow?

Keesey
April 1st, 2011, 06:36 PM
Im considering getting a bowfishing specific bow and had a question. What type of bow is best? Compound or recurve? Other than being able to hold at full draw longer is there something better about a compound? Any info would be great thanks

RightWing
April 1st, 2011, 11:08 PM
The Onieda "Osprey" has a near cult-like folowing in the bowfishing circles. Very light, fast handling and accurate!

On the other end of the spectrum is the Browning Discovery (PSE) they are fairly cheap and a neat little bow that packs a punch.

Other noteworthy mentions are the Innerloc (Pearson) "Hydrostryke", Alpine "Mako", AMS "Fishhawk", Darton "Aquaforce" and PSE "Barricuda"

Area 5150 bow company has a new prototype bow that should go into full production later this Spring, it is called the "Angler" it is a fully machined aluminum bow, with a lever-limb configuration similar to the Oneida and monster brand bows. It could possibly give the Oneida Osprey a real run for it's King of the bowfishing bow status.

Mikie Day
April 2nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
thumbs up for area 5150,

i would also look at some pawn shops or craigs lists/ebay or check out 5150 site and here on AT for used older oneidas you can get screamers for cheap and that will get you started on the addiction..have fun

Anonym
April 5th, 2011, 08:52 PM
If you have any questions regarding the AREA 5150 Angler, don't hesitate to ask! I had a little part in it's design... :shade:

Ed D.
April 14th, 2011, 08:27 AM
Im considering getting a bowfishing specific bow and had a question. What type of bow is best? Compound or recurve? Other than being able to hold at full draw longer is there something better about a compound? Any info would be great thanks

I like recurves but always tell people to bowfish with what they normally shoot for hunting. A great new and moderately priced bow to check out is the alpine Archery Mako bow. I have one and its about the best shooting compound Ive tried, handles a little thin though. Goes for $300.

mark15857
April 14th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Look in the classifieds and find a decent youth bow around 40#. Nothing to nice since its going to no doubt get slimy and wet!

bowfreak1970
April 19th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Browning Micro Midas, Browning Micro Adrenaline, PSE Barracuda, PSE discovery all use the same riser, limbs, and cams. These bows can be picked up for around $100 the only difference between the barracuda (PSE's bow-fishing bow)and any of the rest is no let-off mods and the 30in draw. The rest stop at 28in

dmccullough59
April 25th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I would say snap shooting is a plus because you need to shoot fast. I just got an Oneida Screaming Eagle. Its an older bow but costs less than half the cost of an Osprey. I got mine for under 300 ready to shoot(AMS reel, new arrow, rest, and no-gloves). If you would like an older Oneida look at my post about buying an Oneida and ask the "Oneida Bows" about them.

RightWing
April 25th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I would say snap shooting is a plus because you need to shoot fast. I just got an Oneida Screaming Eagle. Its an older bow but costs less than half the cost of an Osprey. I got mine for under 300 ready to shoot(AMS reel, new arrow, rest, and no-gloves). If you would like an older Oneida look at my post about buying an Oneida and ask the "Oneida Bows" about them.

Yep, I shoot an older Oneida Areo-Force, it is heavy (unlike th Osprey) but it shoots lights out for bowfishing.

On all-nighter shoots, it makes my wrist hurt the next day from holding a heavy bow all night. Then again, my feather weight recurve, will hurt your wrist if you hold it for 12 hours straight! LOL

Due to the longer tip to tip length, it is probably a little more accurate than an Osprey, but that lightweight Osprey or 5150 Angler sure are nice bowfishing bows :thumb:

swampboss
April 25th, 2011, 11:28 PM
If you plan to shoot a lot , like all night , then a recurve is best. If not it depends on your budget and what you like or what you dont mind getting blood, mud, guts, water on.

Yota
April 25th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Any Oneida Eagle bow is your best bet....even the older H models are sweet for slinging fish.....look around there are some good deals out there

AllOut
April 29th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Browning Micro Midas, Browning Micro Adrenaline, PSE Barracuda, PSE discovery all use the same riser, limbs, and cams. These bows can be picked up for around $100 the only difference between the barracuda (PSE's bow-fishing bow)and any of the rest is no let-off mods and the 30in draw. The rest stop at 28in

That's nice to know... I usually stick to my oneidas but last year a buddy got a barracuda and it was a nice shooter. I looked at getting one but havent really found any used ones and didn want to pay $300 for a new one. Well I have my wife's old bow in the closet... A browning micro adrenaline :)

THE BULL
May 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM
use my oneida screaming eagle...also just bought a darton aquaforce

Grateful Hunter
May 2nd, 2011, 08:58 AM
Hard to beat the leverlimb bows for bowfishing at this current time, love to shoot my recurve for the weight but hard to beat my Angler.