PDA

View Full Version : SZ380 not cocking???

BD1
June 4th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I'm pulling up & back & the string is not locking into place? Any suggestions???

Capitalasports
June 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I am assuming you were good before? Where di you buy your bow from bd?

BD1
June 4th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Today is the first time I tried to shoot it. I bought it at Wyvern. Have to send it back. String & Plunger are going all the way back & top & bottom jaws are closing all the way, It's just not clicking & staying closed & the safety is not going back or moving.

Zrt1200
June 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Its not on safe now is it?? It will not latch if it is on safe.

Capitalasports
June 4th, 2011, 05:01 PM
sorry to hear that bd..david is a great dealer he will take care of you good luck and keep us posted...

BD1
June 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Its not on safe now is it?? It will not latch if it is on safe.

No, It's on Fire

Zrt1200
June 4th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Sorry to hear this BD1, I was really hoping it was something simple.

killerloop
June 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM
oh, boy! and i was going to order 1 for thewife

JBOGG
June 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I shot my SZ 350 for the first time today. I did notice that when the bow is uncocked the safety does not move at all, and appears to be locked in the safe position. Once cocked it will then slide forward to the fire position.

Moon
June 4th, 2011, 10:46 PM
The 380's I've shot require quite a bit of pressure to set the trigger once the string is touching the plunger.

Raymond 1
June 4th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Swap it for an Excalibur. Problems solved. Just razing you. Dave is a great guy to deal with, I have heard many good things about Dave.
Raymond

BigBirdVA
June 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Is this a "fixed" one or one that slipped by the recall/update or a isolated problem one?

Wyvern Creations
June 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
It is a brand new one that has something up with the safety...it is stuck in fire. In that position you cant cock the bow. The fingers come down and grab the string and then release them imidiately. I am swapping out the trigger assembly with him. I have yet to hear of this issue. This particular bow I sighted in before it left and it worked fine while I had it. A pin or something may have worked loose in shipping.... Dont know yet but I like that it cant latch...kinda a failsafe built in
Wyvern

GEMSBOK
June 5th, 2011, 01:38 PM
being its a new design xbow i would have bowtech check it out in its original condition.just in case a design flaw has reared its ugly head.

Wyvern Creations
June 5th, 2011, 02:13 PM
It is not coming back to me...it is going right back to Bowtech so yes, they will be checking it out
Wyvern

Red Boar
June 5th, 2011, 02:37 PM
How many different problems can these crossbows have? :pukey::pukey: You could have an entire forum devoted to BowTech Crossbow issues. I am thankful that I didn't make a purchase. Sincerely hope you guys get everything solved before the Season arrives.

Wyvern Creations
June 5th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Ive sold as many SZ's in two months as I did Tornados all last year. The problems as surprizingly very low considering the volume. They just get a lot of press on these forums. So far Ive seen more people happy with the bows than having issues.
Wyvern

killerloop
June 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
gotta break a few eggs to make a omlet,,,,, there REDboar

randyxx75
June 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM
got over 700 shots on mine , not a hitch... I love mine :set1_applaud:

whitewm
June 5th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I love my sz 350

Red Boar
June 5th, 2011, 05:32 PM
gotta break a few eggs to make a omlet,,,,, there REDboar

I suppose...I'll let someone else handle that duty. I want reliability when that shot presents itself. Think about how many hours/days of preparation go into every preseason. Think about how few shots on live game you actually get. If I want to take a chance, I'll play the Lottery. I expect more from my equipment. Glad to hear some folks are pleased with their purchases, however.

Moon
June 5th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I just posted this on another thread. It nails down my thoughts on the SZ 380 and 350:

I'm only shooting the 380 2 or 3 times per day due to my shoulder surgery but I'll tell you this, the Bowtech Stryekzone has no business being as fast as it is, as quiet shooting as it is, with a trigger as good as it is (the absolute best factory trigger I've ever shot) as small as it is and as light in weight as it is..........not to mention how inexpensive it is. That's the bottom line as far as I'm concerned.

Yep, there have been a couple glitches pop up but when you consider the number of these bows being sold, the glitches are probably less of a factor than what's been experienced on some other bows that are substantially more expensive, with total sales being much less than the SZ's but with likely a higher percentage of problems. I feel the few problems with the SZ's have been blown out of proportion by a mile.

randyxx75
June 5th, 2011, 06:01 PM
" I feel the few problems with the SZ's have been blown out of proportion by a mile."

x2 :thumbs_up

robertyb
June 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I suppose...I'll let someone else handle that duty. I want reliability when that shot presents itself. Think about how many hours/days of preparation go into every preseason. Think about how few shots on live game you actually get. If I want to take a chance, I'll play the Lottery. I expect more from my equipment. Glad to hear some folks are pleased with their purchases, however.

Which problem free crossbow did you say you shoot? I am pretty new at this but have not heard about this crossbow yet apparently.

bowtech2006
June 5th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Love the 350 I got and not a problem with mine!
Dave is a great dealer!!

Red Boar
June 5th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Which problem free crossbow did you say you shoot? I am pretty new at this but have not heard about this crossbow yet apparently.

I am guessing by your use of sarcasm that you don't want a real answer. For the record, the crossbow I shoot is in my signature. You will also notice that I shoot a compound MADE BY BOWTECH. The problem that I have with ANY company is using customers to flesh out their bugs. I was just pointing out that every time you come on this forum there seems to be yet again another problem with BT crossbows. I am actually interested in purchasing one...just not now. I'll wait until their customer service, delivery, safety, trigger, etc. problems are worked out (problems that should have been taken care of in R&D and in quality control). Can stuff happen with any piece of equipment? Most certainly...however, try and find problems related to TenPoint and Excalibur crossbows. They are rare instead of common.

Wyvern Creations
June 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
As a note...TenPoint is rare in that they dont really do technological leaps rather carefully thought out steps. "new" models in many instances are the direct progression from a model before. The carefull steps make for solid reliability as they can judge where they want to go from where they have been. The SZ has no real predecessor. It is a stand alone unit that even though it was pretty well shaken out before production went into gear it is still breaking new ground with no way to look back and see what worked before and what didnt. There are some issues but compaired to the volume I personaly am moving they are pretty rare actually.

Wyvern

Moon
June 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I agree with Red that there is too much of what I call retro engineering involved with totally new crossbow designs but I don't think that is unique with any totally new products, no matter what they are. As a comparison, Ten Point is very conservative in their product changes, as David mentioned, resulting in very few mechanical glitches but the danger in that, IMO, is that by being too conservative, they stand the chance of being left in the dust:-) I believe the 350 and 380 offer a complete package that, as far as I know, cannot be equalled by any other brand at this time. JMO

BD1
June 5th, 2011, 08:47 PM
This post was put up as a question not for another SZ/Bowtech bashing. As a newbie I taught maybe I was doing something wrong. If u go back & do searches u can find problems with every bow out there. After the initial recall there have been very few problems & the ones out are very miner. This bow was working fine when Dave (Wyvern) shot it at his shop. I believe it was affected in the delivery process to me. I never owned a x-bow before & would buy another SZ380 in a heart beat. If you have not seen this bow before it is very sharp looking. I looked at the Vortex ,Tornado & Vision before buying this bow & The other bows were cheap looking compared to this one& for the price of what u get u can not beat it. I do not want to bash any of the others I mentioned but just trying to make a point. The bow is just one part of the equation of the hole package for hunting. You only need 1 shot 1 kill in my book!!!

Thanks Bill

BigBirdVA
June 5th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Here they come.......... Knew it wouldn't take long for help to arrive.

http://realityinoman.files.wordpress. com/2010/04/15_damage_control_l.jpg

bpat02385
June 5th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I'm not a bowtech hater...could care less either way but why doesn't some one in their cs dept. try to put an end to this bad publicity before it get's out of control!!!! :pukey:
I'm sure the number of problems is low in comparison to the volume of sales, but sticking their head in the sand and waiting until it goes away won't work this time!!
If you tell a lie enough...

Moon
June 5th, 2011, 10:49 PM
If Bowtech could make more of the 350's and 380's than they are selling, which seem to be the hottest selling crossbows on the market this year, the gloom and doom some are preaching might be taken a little more seriously. I see the vultures are circling again......as I expected. Brad, keep an eye on this one.

BigBirdVA
June 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Looks like an even match to me. Defenders in one corner, Realists in another.

Capitalasports
June 5th, 2011, 10:57 PM
and by realist you mean those with blown up other crossbows whom are waiting in their corner to shoot their own bows, and sadly not able to. doing their best trying to pee on others parade in the mean time while their bow gets fixed....u may be at a disadvantage i think...u might wanna consider throwing in the towel....IMO...my bow shots great

S.F. steve
June 5th, 2011, 11:49 PM
i've said it once and i'll say it again: those strykezones are going to kill a LOT of deer this fall. hell, i might get lucky and knock down a few with my strykeforce. speed kills!!! and they're accurate!

randyxx75
June 6th, 2011, 12:04 AM
I know mine is gonna kill its share, with over 700 shots its awesome, shot 70 yards today , I could use a better rest but each shot would've punched the sweet spot,and several bulls !! I can't get over how quiet they are, after hearing other different xbows shot!
As far as some others views (most havent held one , let alone shot one) they aren't worth my time, brand loyalty runs deep so love the bow you shoot and Ill love mine !!!!!

Capitalasports
June 6th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I know mine is gonna kill its share, with over 700 shots its awesome, shot 70 yards today , I could use a better rest but each shot would've punched the sweet spot,and several bulls !! I can't get over how quiet they are, after hearing other different xbows shot!
As far as some others views (most havent held one , let alone shot one) they aren't worth my time, brand loyalty runs deep so love the bow you shoot and Ill love mine !!!!!

I think we may need to do an intervention with you....lol...you shoot way too much.....put the bow down and step away from the shooting bench sir....lol..well said though!!

Iron Duke
June 6th, 2011, 08:01 AM
My opinion ... the issue was not blown out of proportion. Bowtech had every bow they built recalled because they did not do thorough product testing before introduction! Then went on to fuel a Public Relations debacle with 90% of the negative press being directly the result of Bowtech the company, not Strykezone the bow. I'm perfectly willing to let this "go away," but let's not try to rewrite history. Today, if ... you look directly at the bow and only the bow AFTER the recall, I'd say from here on things should not be "blown out of proportion." The quantity of issues with the "new" bow and quantity of bows with an issue, are now statistically minor. All of which does not frighten me away from purchasing an SZ380. If you subscribe to performance and want a bow that fits well in the woods and will kill deer ... this is the bow I'd buy. In my opinion, the SZ380 has the best combination of characteristics to be "the" superior deer killer. Tops in Huntability.

BigBirdVA
June 6th, 2011, 08:14 AM
and by realist you mean those with blown up other crossbows whom are waiting in their corner to shoot their own bows, and sadly not able to. doing their best trying to pee on others parade in the mean time while their bow gets fixed....u may be at a disadvantage i think...u might wanna consider throwing in the towel....IMO...my bow shots great

Realists = people that understand the difference in a recall of hundreds of products and a design change on a just out the door model. Realists understand a company BS notice as a attempt at sweeping it under the rug. Realists can count and understand 2 reported incidents and not a continued pattern of problems. Realists understand a 24 hour turnaround on a failed product not a we don't know right now. Realists understand a human voice when you call and not a recording.

My bow shoots great too. And if it should break in the future it won't get swapped out to a cheaper easier to produce questionable "our new just out model" for that year by a company hell bent on getting as many quickly produced and shipped out the door as they can. And a company that doesn't have a l-o-n-g history of recalls and problems. Of course I don't get Peggy and "her" brand of customer no-service.

I had 2 problems with my DS BT. Limbs and trigger. They have improved so far it's just trigger related this time around.

Capitalasports
June 6th, 2011, 09:25 AM
You kinda like repeating the negatives or is that your way of telling your still alive? the facts are there are many guys with more shots on there bows some with almost a thousand with no problems and for u to get on your soap box and and shouting mistruths and negativity just to get attention is a little ridiculous. A single bow being fixed and a recall of several hundred is a little different. My isolated problem with my bolw was taken care of instantly again a single bow, during the recall I could call and speak to a person daily if I chose with my call being answered each time by a person so I am not sure where u got that bit of misinformation, but I guess negative people don't need facts just a voice huh. I would suggest you shoot your "fantastic" tank of a bow and review that and leave the real innovation to us. Or maybe take ur own red pill and cheer up. By the way the meaning of realist is someone who looks at the truths in life, not one who spills mistruths, distorted fact to fit their rants, and negativity...well I think they do seem to like negativity so u may partialy fit.

Wyvern Creations
June 6th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I think we need to stop this. This individual bow had an issue and it is being fixed under warranty...no diferant than any other bow under warranty. Bowtech sells more bows in a week than some manufactueres do in a year. That volume will produce more issues that get posted simply because more people own them. I am seeing less problems statisticaly from these bows than others that are more expensive that have fewer in the field. I usually say that if I took molten aluminum, poared it on the ground, let it cool and sold it as a paperweight I would have a 3% return for defects. A piece of equipment that is mass produced and has multiple components that all have to work together and relies on dissimilar materials that are glued together to produce the energy is going to have some issues now and then. If you are happy with your bow, shoot it. I dont see where this finger pointing and brand bashing really accomplishes anything...
Wyvern

BigBirdVA
June 6th, 2011, 09:47 AM
You kinda like repeating the negatives or is that your way of telling your still alive? the facts are there are many guys with more shots on there bows some with almost a thousand with no problems and for u to get on your soap box and and shouting mistruths and negativity just to get attention is a little ridiculous. A single bow being fixed and a recall of several hundred is a little different. My isolated problem with my bolw was taken care of instantly again a single bow, during the recall I could call and speak to a person daily if I chose with my call being answered each time by a person so I am not sure where u got that bit of misinformation, but I guess negative people don't need facts just a voice huh. I would suggest you shoot your "fantastic" tank of a bow and review that and leave the real innovation to us. Or maybe take ur own red pill and cheer up. By the way the meaning of realist is someone who looks at the truths in life, not one who spills mistruths, distorted fact to fit their rants, and negativity...well I think they do seem to like negativity so u may partialy fit.

You sound like you may be getting low on kool-aid over there.

I only patented innovation I see is the recall.

Capitalasports
June 6th, 2011, 09:52 AM
nope......good ole grape....u need a glass?

Iron Duke
June 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I think we need to stop this. This individual bow had an issue and it is being fixed under warranty...no diferant than any other bow under warranty. Bowtech sells more bows in a week than some manufactueres do in a year. That volume will produce more issues that get posted simply because more people own them. I am seeing less problems statisticaly from these bows than others that are more expensive that have fewer in the field. I usually say that if I took molten aluminum, poared it on the ground, let it cool and sold it as a paperweight I would have a 3% return for defects. A piece of equipment that is mass produced and has multiple components that all have to work together and relies on dissimilar materials that are glued together to produce the energy is going to have some issues now and then. If you are happy with your bow, shoot it. I dont see where this finger pointing and brand bashing really accomplishes anything...
Wyvern
That 3% ... return rate on the molten metal paperweight line is funny! :thumbs_up: Could become a classic.

Moon
June 6th, 2011, 10:04 AM
I remember a couple weeks ago a certain basher said "I'm done here" (or something to that affect) and OOOOPS, here he is again !!!:confused: There must be an agenda, whether it be product jealousy (the bow comapny he hates probably sells 1,000 to 1 of his brand) or whatever, but it does get old. David is not one to gloss over product problems (if you've read his posts during the last 5 years) and, as a dealer, is confronted with first hand comparisons of defective product percentages. Looks like what he says goes in one ear and out the other for a couple folks that have a bad case of Bowtechitis. Seems to be no cure for it either. The never ending bashing does accomplish something in their minds.....creating doubts for would be buyers of these bows. "Realist"....really???
How about "Sour Grapes":deadhorse

BigBirdVA
June 6th, 2011, 10:10 AM
That 3% ... return rate on the molten metal paperweight line is funny! :thumbs_up: Could become a classic.

It's 3% now. A month ago it was almost 100%. But what's a few percentage points among friends ?

Moon I was done here as in that thread. This is another one. But I'll quit posting in them if you do. All grapes look better through rose colored glasses huh?

Moon
June 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I don't know about rose colored glasses but I've been around a long time and have a pretty good built in wind indicator. Like the guy said...."this ain't my first rodeo" :croc:

Iron Duke
June 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I don't know about rose colored glasses but I've been around a long time and have a pretty good built in wind indicator. Like the guy said...."this ain't my first rodeo" :croc:
Did I ever ... tell you I dated a University of Nebraska grad who was a liberal vegetarian journalist and she HATED rodeos? You'd figure being from Nebraska the whole rodeo thing would be in her DNA. :teeth:

S.F. steve
June 6th, 2011, 11:56 AM
i'll bet she had you buckin' like a bronco! THAT'S what's in her DNA!

Iron Duke
June 6th, 2011, 01:46 PM
i'll bet she had you buckin' like a bronco! THAT'S what's in her DNA!
You're an ... animal Steve!! LOL You know her ... you dated her too???:wink:

S.F. steve
June 6th, 2011, 02:07 PM
who knows, i've got relatives out there, i visit every time i go to arizona. a vegatarian in nebraska?

Iron Duke
June 6th, 2011, 02:19 PM
who knows, i've got relatives out there, i visit every time i go to arizona. a vegatarian in nebraska?
Tell me ... about it. What a pain in the arse! :BangHead:

Tom D
June 6th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Tell me ... about it. What a pain in the arse! :BangHead:

I suspect that any man shooting a StrykeForce has the grit and determination to put up with a few eccentricities and peccadilloes from his girl friend to reap the benefits thereof. :whoo:

Iron Duke
June 6th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I suspect that any man shooting a StrykeForce has the grit and determination to put up with a few eccentricities and peccadilloes from his girl friend to reap the benefits thereof. :whoo:
Don't we ... all? LOL I've hypothesized that "fundamentally, they're all the same ... they just come with different options and maintenance costs." :wink:

Moon
June 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
3 out of the 4 I married were Extra High maintenance (# 1, 2 and 3). I've also had some crossbows that fit that category.....some of which may surprise you.

BD1, sorry for the hijacking here but that's what happens at the mere mention of the 350 and 380. Please keep us posted as to how Bowtech handles the situation and what they say about it. Thanks:-)