PDA

View Full Version : Everybody says hunt the wind but I have a problem.

kstatemallards
June 20th, 2011, 07:37 PM
This year I will hunt on a working farm which has about a 100 acres of thick timber surrounded by 350 acres of standing corn. Last year when it was beans it was much easier to play the wind because they were in the woods all year.

I'm not an expert but I'm guessing the deer will bed in all directions from my stands.

Do the mature bucks tend to bed in the corn instead of the timber if they had the option?

JC-XT
June 20th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Do the mature bucks tend to bed in the corn instead of the timber if they had the option?

The more time hunters spend in the timber, the more time mature bucks will spend in standing corn.

iawalleyeguy
June 20th, 2011, 08:07 PM
They will bed in standing corn but generally close to the edges!As stated, stay out of the woods and you'll have a better shot, or wait till the corn is harvested if you can!

kstatemallards
June 20th, 2011, 08:19 PM
They will bed in standing corn but generally close to the edges!As stated, stay out of the woods and you'll have a better shot, or wait till the corn is harvested if you can!

I plan on killing my doe in the early september season and then waiting till November to hit the woods. I'll save a few good spots till the corn is cut.