PDA

View Full Version : Very Impressed With the Gateway Rayzr Feather Vane!

Mattole
June 25th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I recently decided to try feather vanes on my arrows for the first time and as a result have decided to switch over. The vane that did it was the Rayzr by Gateway Feathers.

I fletched up three arrows each of the Rayzr, Flex-Fletch Flash, Blazer and Quick Spin vanes, and shot several rounds with them at 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards. Without a doubt the Rayzrs rendered tighter groups and were MUCH quieter than the other vanes. In fact they were nearly silent.

The other thing that I liked was that the Rayzr vane is incredibly light - three vanes weigh only 4 grains, which is less than a single vane of the other kinds I was testing.

I don't work for Gateway, I'm just very impressed with their product. I look forward to testing them on hog and deer this fall, and expect them to perform very well.

Porterhouse83
June 25th, 2011, 01:57 AM
They are great for steering a broadhead too.

Mattole
June 25th, 2011, 02:08 AM
Good to hear. I was going to test them with broadheads tomorrow if the wind calms down a bit. What do you use to waterproof the Rayzrs?

Porterhouse83
June 25th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I used to use a spray called no snow on my feathers. I think Lancaster carries it.

Mattole
June 25th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Thanks I'll look into that.

Nice signature line, by the way.

Porterhouse83
June 25th, 2011, 02:39 AM
Thank you :)

jace
June 25th, 2011, 06:28 AM
The feathers I have shot in the past, were always loud, but Ive not shot the rayz's, my give them a try, I heard they stick good too, and I like your sig line also

25ft-up
June 25th, 2011, 06:51 AM
I've been refletching some old aluminums and was thinking about getting some rayzrs for the last dozen. How do they compare to 4" parabolic? I only offset 1 degree, which makes the 4" quiet, so they should be deadly silent. Is the profile higher or the same as blazers?

tpcollins
June 25th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I've shot Rayzrs ever since they came out. However, this year I swithced to Trueflight's 2" shield cut. The base height is a bit thinner and more consistant which allows it to wrap around the smaller shafts better. I modified a Bohning Helix clamp to accept feathers and it puts a great looking helical on these 2" feathers . . .

bambikiller
June 25th, 2011, 07:49 AM
i love the razors, fletched some up a few weekends ago and they are awesome

ToddB
June 25th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Try them with a 4 fletch!!:shade:

25ft-up
June 25th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Try them with a 4 fletch!!:shade:
Thanks. I'll have to try that. At least I won't have to think about having it upside down. :smile:

Mattole
June 25th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I've been refletching some old aluminums and was thinking about getting some rayzrs for the last dozen. How do they compare to 4" parabolic? I only offset 1 degree, which makes the 4" quiet, so they should be deadly silent. Is the profile higher or the same as blazers?

The Rayzr vanes are .5" high, which makes them a tad lower than the Blazer. I don't have any experience with a 4" parabolic feather vane.

The base of the Rayzr makes it easy to fletch on my Gold Tip Hunter XT 5575 shafts. I haven't tried fletching one of my thinner Easton Axis Nano arrow with them yet, and am curious to see if the base is a tad wide for them.

HammyAbeer
June 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM
I recommend using 4 of the razyrs for broadheads. 3 just didnt seem to do the job as well as blazers.

25ft-up
June 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM
The Rayzr vanes are .5" high, which makes them a tad lower than the Blazer. I don't have any experience with a 4" parabolic feather vane.

The base of the Rayzr makes it easy to fletch on my Gold Tip Hunter XT 5575 shafts. I haven't tried fletching one of my thinner Easton Axis Nano arrow with them yet, and am curious to see if the base is a tad wide for them.

Not a problem for me with 2413's and straight offset. My main concern is how they would control that arrow compared to a 4" feather. I could use a little added weight forward, just don't want to trade off stability to get it. I'm going to at least get a dozen tomorrow to try. I like the 4 fletch idea. Doesn't matter if they are all the same color.

Mattole
June 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Dangit, I just tried the Rayzrs with broadheads and would have to agree with HammyAbeer: they do not steer a bh as well as Blazers. I'll try a few arrows with 4 Razyrs this weekend and see what that does.