PDA

View Full Version : Gaining private land access in Illinois

Hoythews71
June 26th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I realize Im writing this post because Im frustrated as hell about Illinois. Just want to see if my success (or lack there of) is comparable to any others.

Im active duty Navy and live in NE Illinois, just south of the Wisconsin border. Im an instructor in Great Lakes. In the two years Ive been stationed here, Ive contacted over 120 landowners about gaining permission to bowhunt their property. Its the same "system" for all of them too. Find the landowners name and address, send a letter introducing myself and scheduling a visit, which I always show up on time for, and I also include a no-fault injury contract that was drafted by a lawyer. I always leave a contact number too, so they have an easy way out if they dont want to give me permission. I volunteer to work on their farms for no pay in exchange for permission, help with odd jobs, etc.

Anytime I see a farmer working his land, I always stop by, introduce myself and offer to lend a hand...nothing. I did this with 2 older farmers today, and they both said no and that Id never be able to find anyone in the area that would let me bowhunt their property.

Ive only received permission on one small parcel, so that puts my total success rate right around .80%. F*** THIS PLACE! All of the effort Ive put into this has been a waste of time! Ive even played the military angle, and its like no one here gives a damn who you are or what you do.

Zim
June 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
H71,

I was in your boat a very short time before I realized the situation and went to plan B. Was used to local hunting on my small but good family land in Indiana when I lived there. Lost it due to entitlement trailer trash ex who still doesn't work, despite her 4 year college degree. Moved to Illinois 5 years ago and am in St. Charles now. Too many people and not enough land in NE Illinois. So I decided my only choice was to use vacation days hunting remote public land far south. Took a while scouting and all, but it's OK now. Part of your problem is you have probably been hitting Lake County which everyone knows holds the best bucks in NE IL. Ranks crazy high like 2nd or 3rd in the state for P&Y's.

By the way I inspected the Great Lakes base post office last year. I work for USPS inspecting the larger post office buildings for repairs through all IL & WI.

Shabbona
July 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I am located pretty close to you. I have by accident found a few spots that are private, and of course, I hunt public land. Give me a
pm and maybe we could work something out free of course because your an AT guy. I am 20 minutes south of Rockford...

Shabonna,

Dan

MECHDOC
July 24th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Hoythews71 I was in the same situation as you a couple years ago!! I decided to pick up a lease and started letting other people from hunting forums with properties hunt them with me. I would let them hunt my areas for free in exchange to hunt there land. This has opened up more properties and hunting opportunities for me than my 10 years of searching and I have made alot of good friends along the way. Have you thought about leasing a property yourself or getting in with a couple people on a lease?