PDA

View Full Version : Excal scope help

foxfirehunter
July 9th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Need a little help with my Lumi Zone Excalibur scope. I'm shooting a EX Vortex, 200 lb draw. 412 grain Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. The scope is set at 300FPS. I don't use the flemish string. Here's the problem: the bow with this set up shoots bullet holes at 20 and 30 yards....then at 40 yards falls 8 inches low on the target. Don't know what's happening. I don't have any way to measure my arrow speed. Should I reduce the speed dial on the scope and start over at 10 yards? Lighten up my arrow weight, Excal recommends 350 grain. Maybe my blazers are to light a fletching. I just can't figure it out. HELP!

bpat02385
July 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have the vortex with the varizone...the speed ring is not a good indicator of your actual bow speed. My bow shoots 318fps...speed ring is set at 325.
If your sighted in at 20yds move to 40 and shoot, if your hitting low dial it down if high dial it up. Sounds to me like you need to dial it down.
Hope this helps
Good luck!

rt2bowhunter
July 9th, 2011, 02:54 PM
When i had a Excal scope I set the speed dial like you did. Sighted it for 20yds. Moved to 30yds held the next aim point on at 30 yds adjusted the speed ring until it hit dead on. Then repeated at 40 and 50yds.

Bob Stout
July 9th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Yes, use the elevation and windage scope adjustments to put your main crosshairs right on target at 20 yards. From this point on you never touch your elevation or windage adjustments.

You use the speed ring to set your 30, 40 and 50 yard crosshairs. The speed ring will not affect your 20 yard crosshair setting you previously made using the elevation and windage adjustments.
The speed ring only affects the 30, 40 and 50 yard settings.

I set my center crosshairs at 20 yards using the elevation and windage adjustments. Then I back up to 40 yards and adjust the speed ring until my 40 yard crosshairs are right on. At this point your 30 and 50 yard crosshairs should be very close to their calibration.

If you change your arrow weight or arrow balance, you'll have to do this over.

foxfirehunter
July 10th, 2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the help....I did what you said to sight my scope in....went to 295 on the scope speed dial and all is great...right on at 20,30 and 40 yds. Thanks again!