PDA

View Full Version : string ?

feathermax ed
July 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
. my brother has a black widow and the string that came with it didn't stay wrapped so we threw it away he then ordered another and that one doesn't stay wrapped either
what is the problem with the string

Warbow
July 17th, 2011, 12:13 PM
. my brother has a black widow and the string that came with it didn't stay wrapped so we threw it away he then ordered another and that one doesn't stay wrapped either
what is the problem with the string

By "didn't stay wrapped" I'm guessing you mean the center serving or end serving's have come loose. My WAG is that the servings weren't tied off properly and that it is the product of poor quality control. But that is just a guess made without knowing more about the specifics of your circumstances.

feathermax ed
July 17th, 2011, 12:28 PM
everytime he goes out to shoot the string needs to be rewrappped because of the brace hieght

Warbow
July 17th, 2011, 12:49 PM
everytime he goes out to shoot the string needs to be rewrappped because of the brace hieght

Hmm...I'm not sure I understand the issue. Now it seems you are saying that the brace height keeps getting lower every time you go out and you are having to twist up the string to compensate? Are you unsntringing the bow between outings? Or do you leave it strung?

feathermax ed
July 17th, 2011, 12:57 PM
like the bow is going back to normal like when it is unstrung and he hangs it by the string when it is strung

feathermax ed
July 17th, 2011, 12:57 PM
he leaves it strung

Warbow
July 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Hmm...badly made or old strings can be subject to creep, where they continue to elongate. But I don't have a good feel for your situation. I'm going to leave it to others to give their take.

Night Wing
July 17th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Sounds like his brace height is getting lower since the string is slightly stretching. Even with fast flight bowstring material, I've found all strings stretch a little. Some bowstring material more than others. They have to be "shot in" with at least a hundred arrows (or more sometimes) before the bowstring won't stretch anymore (usually).

One caveat. In the summertime where I live June though August), it's usually 98-102 degrees Fahrenheit everyday. Sometimes if I go "hog wild" and shoot for 3 hours instead of my usual 30 minutes, my string will slightly stretch again, which lowers the brace height and I'll have to raise the brace height by one half twist (180 degrees) of the bowstring to get my arrows back in tune (hit where I'm looking at 20 yards).

I leave my bows strung all the time. They're stored in my bow rack horizontally. Both bowstrings for each bow are flemish style bowstrings made with 12 strands, (2 bundles) of Dyna97 fast flight material with the flemish loops padded to 18. The serving material is 62XS in size (.025) since my arrows are installed with Easton Super Nocks.

Charon
July 17th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Don't BW's come with Flemish twist strings? Sounds to me like there is nothing "wrong" with the strings. More like you're twisting the string wrong way to try and adjust brace height, thereby unravelling the string.

LBR
July 17th, 2011, 10:56 PM
That's what I was thinking--not an uncommon mistake. BW's do come with flemish strings.

Chad