PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have pics of their homemade targets?

brownback
July 24th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Like to see some pics of your homemade targets with info on how you made it:) Looking to make one.....instead of buying one!

brownback
July 24th, 2011, 09:12 AM
ttt

kspseshooter
July 24th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I made mine out of strips of old carpet. It is 4'x4'x12''. It woks great, i'll never buy another target. I don't have any pics of it right now. Do a search on carpet target and you'll find plenty of info. Good luck

cubdriver
July 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
I actually have two styles. I get burlap bags free from a local coffee shop (the finer weave works best). I slip one bag inside a second one. I then slip a piece of carpet vertically between the two bags on what will be the back side, as an extra stop. Next I place a golf ball in the two bottom corners of the outside bag and tie it there with a piece of medium weight bungie cord with about a foot of extra length on one of the cord ends. Then I stuff the inside bag with plastic bags until full. I stitch up the inside bag with cord using a large needle and doing it by hand. I then tie another golf ball near the top corners of the outside bag with two more more bungie cords and finally stitch the outside bag closed. I tie a loop in the four tails of bungie and then select either two trees (or make a framewith a kicker leg) and tie four left over hooks from commercial bungie cords (the flat rubber style) onto the two trees at appropriate heights. I store the bag in the basement or garage and when I wish to shoot, take it out and and hook it over the hooks. It is then never out in the rain, is very easy to put in place and the only cost is the bungie cord. I have one at my daughter's house which we hang between trees and one at mine which I hook onto a frame. Even my grandkids can hang the bag. By varying where I fasten paper targets with safety pins, the bags last over a year with quite bit of shooting. Note: the bungies also stretch on caontact and soak of some of the arrow shock which helps stop the arrow from passing through; you can also have two vertical strips of carpet in the back to make it even harder for and arrow to pass through if you wish.

I also have platform compressor for straw bales if I want to shoot broadheads and mine is usually stored right behind the frame for my bag and is a wider backstop (for grandkids).

brownback
July 24th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Great idea and target cubdriver!

whack&stack
July 24th, 2011, 01:03 PM
sure here ya go. if you have an old grill and a mattress you can make this one. it works well and even when my lil girl was 1.5 years old she could pull them out of it. thats the best part is arrow removal. here are the pics. if you have more questions how it was built there is a build thread on it in the DIY section also thats a great place to go look at homemade targets some guys have made some nice ones in there.

buggybrain
July 24th, 2011, 10:25 PM
I will have to try that one

little buddy
July 24th, 2011, 10:35 PM
This one is a little tough on arrows but you will never get a pass through!

brownback
July 25th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Nay.... believe my set-up can handle it:) lol So what do you have in that target:) Took a little time and money on that one:) lol

brownback
July 25th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Nice target whack! Is there a particular backstop you use with this target?

whack&stack
July 25th, 2011, 01:35 AM
Nice target whack! Is there a particular backstop you use with this target?

backstop? you mean behind it in case an arrow goes though? look at the rigs in my sig line these bows have never come close to even getting the practice tip all the way through it much less the whole arrow. here are some pics of the penetration. target is about 18" deep. shows that the arrow penetrated about 6" and that is from less than 3 yards away. The last pic shows shots into the top right corner there is not as much filling there and the still didnt poke through the back.

111994311199441119945111994611 19947

r2t2
July 25th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Stacked cardboard lasts for years.Tighted down with threaded rods. Try to keep cardboard even at the front.The last one lasted 20+ years by not shooting at the same place all the time.11199511119951

brownback
July 25th, 2011, 03:46 AM
Nice! Thanks for posting friend!

backstop? you mean behind it in case an arrow goes though? look at the rigs in my sig line these bows have never come close to even getting the practice tip all the way through it much less the whole arrow. here are some pics of the penetration. target is about 18" deep. shows that the arrow penetrated about 6" and that is from less than 3 yards away. The last pic shows shots into the top right corner there is not as much filling there and the still didnt poke through the back.

111994311199441119945111994611 19947

brownback
July 25th, 2011, 05:47 AM
This is nice...I would like to have one on the inside as well for the winter months:)

Stacked cardboard lasts for years.Tighted down with threaded rods. Try to keep cardboard even at the front.The last one lasted 20+ years by not shooting at the same place all the time.11199511119951