PDA

View Full Version : Is ThermaCell really scent free?

Josh Nunley
August 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
I was thinking about getting one but its hard enough to get a big buck in bow range without adding more stuff but the bugs eat me up. Are they really scent free and do they really work?Thanks

hjort jagare
August 4th, 2011, 10:28 AM
They are not scent free but the deer dont seem to mind and yes they work. (Very well.)

ParkerBow
August 4th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Without thermacell I wouldn't be in the woods shooting deer. Scent free doubt it, but it never bothered any deer or turkey I smoked. I either hunt from a ground blind or just natural cover

Josh Nunley
August 4th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I just looked on ebay at them and they got them with earth scent. Would that be better?

xman59
August 4th, 2011, 10:41 AM
never bothered any deer around me,, and down here in the swamp land you either use it, wear spray which is way more noticeable or stay home,, i hate the spray because its already 90 degrees and it just makes you sweat more,, its thermocell or go home!, and i would rather hunt!

Josh Nunley
August 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
any of yall ever use the earth scent? I think i would like it better

redruff
August 4th, 2011, 11:17 AM
They are not scent free but the deer dont seem to mind and yes they work. (Very well.)
Right there

StrutStopper
August 4th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I've never had a deer spook from a thermacell, at least that I know of. First, your scent will be blowing in the same direction as the thermacell's scent, second - the thermacell is heated, so the scent will rise, third - the movement from swatting mosquitoes will probably get you busted sooner than anything else.

Hoyt_AlphaMax32
August 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
They are definately not scent free and to me the earth scent just smells worse... I'd stick the the regular...

Josh Nunley
August 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
OK sounds great.Thanks so much for the help.I have to say i love this site

hunt4life2009
August 4th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I have the earth sent and it just smells like the fresh earth waffers.

AdvanTimberLou
August 4th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Not scent free but a very wise investment to your hunting gear.

It would be hard to sit on stand and be still and not swat at mosquitoes if you didn't have one.

Get one and you will be amazed. Awesome here in Michigan for spring turkey hunting.

Hoyt_AlphaMax32
August 4th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Worth the money for sure. I use it anytime were out around the campfire and a must have at 3d shoots all summer. Get my use out of it...

Josh Nunley
August 4th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Well i will for sure have one in the tree with me coming Sept 24th (opening morning)

snoman4
August 4th, 2011, 12:19 PM
It has a slight odor to it but I have not seen negative reactions to it by deer or any other critter. I would not hunt here in Florida without one. To me the Thermacell was the best piece of equipment to come along in the last 25 years.

tretch
August 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
ya its not scent free but the smell is from a certain flower that they use in the waffers. so its a natural scent.

oncechance
August 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
...as the other posts state, there is a scent but it doesn't bother the deer. Much needed piece of equipment for early deer hunting.

bartonmt
August 4th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I use the one with earth scent...been thinking about getting the one that is doe pee scent...

dougedwards
August 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Don't know if they are completely scent free but I cannot hunt the Great Dismal Swamp in Virginia without one lest I become skeeter meat.

Doug