PDA

View Full Version : Need Information about Slate Creek, Cowley, Kaw Wildlife Areas?

SCWA
August 27th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Thinking about buying an out of state license and deer hunting at Slate Creek, Kaw, or Cowley public wildlife areas. All 3 are in unit 13 which is the only unit I can buy that is close to Augusta, which is where my wife's family is from. Does anyone have any good information about these places?

A few question I have are:

Which place has less pressure
Better success
Easier Access in and out
Stand Setup

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

gun870guy
August 31st, 2011, 08:29 AM
Slate Creek is a duck hunting spot for alot of guys I know... I 've never deer hunt there

Storm27m
September 7th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I've deer hunted Slate Creek a few times. The southern end had tougher entry because a lot of the ground was covered in a reed type plant. The southern end also has more treestand unfriendly trees, especially near the "Y" in the road at the southernmost point. That area looked like it would hold good numbers of deer but there wasn't much sign. I would suggest checking it again though. The west side should have easy access this year as I imagine the place is pretty dry. In a wet year, the ground can be pretty soggy. In the past, I noticed some decent deer sign on the west boundaries but never hunted it. Scout the areas where the east/west tree rows meet the private land border on the west. There weren't any crops on the WMA side of the west boundary but there were some on the private land adjacent to it. The north side has better timber and crops. I saw a lot more deer on the north side than anywhere else but never saw a single buck. You will most likely bust deer out of beds if you enter the north side from the access road, especially near the holding area for the farm implements just north of the crop fields up there. The access road is the only "easy" access up there though. I also know where there is a nice stand of persimmon trees up on the north side. I'll share that info privately if you desire, just post an email address or something so I can send an aerial map. They're really not that hard to find anyways and I don't hunt there much anymore. I think I only saw two other treestands in there the year that I hunted it and it is more of a waterfowl area, so I think pressure is relatively light. It's steel shot only if you're using a shotgun for anything and don't forget to fill out the daily permit forms that are located at the info booths.

Storm27m
September 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
I looked at my maps again....whenever I said north, I actually meant the lower northwest portion, not the uppermost northeast portion. That was more wetlands and I never hunted up there.