PDA

View Full Version : Any NH/MA bowhunters willing to mentor me in deer processing?

the indian
August 29th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I'm wondering if any hunters in the Southern NH/MA region would be willing to share some tips with me when it comes to processing a deer, or showing me the process if they take one this fall? I'm a new hunter and although I've read how to do it and watched videos on youtube, I'd like to actually see it done and ask questions, if possible. I don't want to go out, take a deer, and not use it fully by wasting meat.

I've been planning to join a local F&G club, but cannot commit the time yet with work, dog training, and other activities. So that leaves me in a tough position, since most of my friends don't hunt.

Or can anyone recommend a butcher in the area that processes deer on an individual basis? I know some butchers who process deer will batch them together and distribute cuts according to the weight of the deer you provided. I don't want that, I'd like to know that the meat I'm eating was my deer.

I live in Londonderry, NH but would be willing to drive out. I'll even bring a six pack. :darkbeer:

Thanks!

Sub-Urban-Deer
September 2nd, 2011, 07:40 PM
Sorry dont live near there. If no one answers, then your best bet would be find a few local venison butchers, and ask them if you can watch, or "help" process the deer. (I doubt they will let you do more than watch, and maybe skin it) But you will learn a wealth of info from them. Or you could also ask to be a free intern to them for a week or two.
My buddy showed me how to do it years ago, I did a few really bad jobs of it, then started taking them to the butcher. I realized I could do almost as good as they did and save 150$. I bought a few DVD's on processing. Now four years later I am confidant in my processing, and have been toying around with advertising that.
Hope this helps, and hey, you CAN do it.

Sub-Urban-Deer
September 2nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Just saw this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xijmge8_NJw&feature=player_embedded

Sub-Urban-Deer
September 2nd, 2011, 08:22 PM
and then this...
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1569535
Wish I was this fast!

the indian
September 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice. I never thought of asking a butcher to just "shadow" them, but I will definitely give that a shot. And thanks for the vids!

txenvguy
September 14th, 2011, 10:46 PM
I learned a couple of years ago from this DVD "The Ultimate Deer Processing Video". It takes you from field to freezer and shows yo how to debone the entire deer and use just about as much as you could. What is nice is you follow along and stop as needed. Get some good knives and try it for yourself.

Whitetaildds
May 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
I don't know if you had a chance to learn last year, but I'm moving to the area and would be happy to help if you needed it this year.

KSHammers1
May 27th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Check this post out:

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=730292&highlight=deer+processing

NHLefty
July 23rd, 2012, 04:43 PM
I've processed my own but now bring dressed deer or bear to Brown and Blodnic's (sp) in Dracut. They will cut,wrap meat cuts the way you want. They run from around $65 to up over $100 if you have sausage made because they mix the lean venison with pork and spices for their spicy,or Italian sausages. I live and hunt around Salem, NH

chase&me
July 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
If your willing to travel to central MA I would be willing to show you what is involved. My father and I have have sevral whitetails , hogs , caribou , moose , bears , etc from shot to freezer. Oh ya my grandfather was THE MAIN mechanic and race tester for Indian mortocycle. If your intererested give me a pm.