PDA

View Full Version : How many of you hunt with your spouse or significant other?

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 09:13 AM
I was married for several years and always took a butt-chewing in the Spring and Fall. For multiple reasons, that marriage ended and I eventually found a very special woman, that is completely supportive of my passion for hunting. She grew up in St. Louis and never imagined being around hunting, let alone hunting herself, but she has really taken an interest and seems genuinely excited to hunt with me this Fall. Last night we got in the truck and she said... I am really looking forward to our first hunting season together. :) I consider myself very fortunate to have her at all, but it is great to have a new outdoors companion as well.

Anybody else this lucky?

cornfedkiller
September 13th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Yep..my girlfriend hunts with me..

cowboy bowhnter
September 13th, 2011, 09:26 AM
yup, got my wife a bow this spring. She has been shooting all summer and she will be in stand opening day.

oct71
September 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
My wife of 19 years loves to get out to hunt or fish. I couldn't imagine her not going.

tdawg21
September 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
My wife loves to hunt with me. And even better: she especially loves to bowhunt. If I had to go back to hunting without her or my son, I'm not sure how much I'd actually go. I like the occasional solo hunt but it's waaaay more fun to me when they're there.

Dawg

Grizz1219
September 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
My fiance and I hunt together.... Our honeymoon next year is an African Safari.... So yeah... I got a good one.. LOL

anglin'archer
September 13th, 2011, 09:33 AM
During a long drive during a trip last year my wife mentioned that it was no fair that I get to spend so much time hunting without having to deal with kids and stresses and such. My comment was for her to go with me.

Long story short is last week we backpacked in 8 miles for a three day trip. We only hunted for little over one day but it was great to spend that kind of time with my spouse doing one of my favorite things. Despite alot of rain and being away from all the comforts of home she said she would like to do it again. I consider myself blessed to have a wife like that.

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mine has no interest in gun hunting. After shooting her bow and going gun hunting last year, she says that she only wants to bowhunt because it is more of a challenge. She said that if I want her to gun hunt, I have to teach her to duck hunt. I can live with that! :)

double o
September 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Yep my wife and I hunt together.

snoman4
September 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
My wife also loves to hunt and fish with me. Last September we went to Cabo San Lucas and she caught her first Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin Tuna, and Roosterfish. She killed her first deer last year, a doe, with a rifle and it was DRT never moved an inch, I was so proud of her. I had bought her a bow for Christmas and she was practicing with it for a few months. In April she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and on June 10 she had a masectomy of the right breast due to the number and size of the tumors. They had to cut the muscle from her right latimus and use that to make the new breast. Well long story short she is cancer free and has to have another surgery on Oct 3, to finish the breast reconstruction. She was so upset because she could not lift more than about 30 lbs and could not even begin to pull the bow back on 30 lbs. She still wanted to hunt so I asked her about a crossbow and she was ecstatic. Vertical bow sold and she is now the proud owner of an excalibur crossbow. At the end of July she could barely hold the crossbow up. Now she is able to hold it up and shooting lights out at 30 yards. Our season starts on September 17 and she will get to hunt for 2 weeks before the next surgery. I think she is more pumped than me for the season to start.

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 09:43 AM
My wife also loves to hunt and fish with me. Last September we went to Cabo San Lucas and she caught her first Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin Tuna, and Roosterfish. She killed her first deer last year, a doe, with a rifle and it was DRT never moved an inch, I was so proud of her. I had bought her a bow for Christmas and she was practicing with it for a few months. In April she was diagnosed with Breast Cancer and on June 10 she had a masectomy of the right breast due to the number and size of the tumors. They had to cut the muscle from her right latimus and use that to make the new breast. Well long story short she is cancer free and has to have another surgery on Oct 3, to finish the breast reconstruction. She was so upset because she could not lift more than about 30 lbs and could not even begin to pull the bow back on 30 lbs. She still wanted to hunt so I asked her about a crossbow and she was ecstatic. Vertical bow sold and she is now the proud owner of an excalibur crossbow. At the end of July she could barely hold the crossbow up. Now she is able to hold it up and shooting lights out at 30 yards. Our season starts on September 17 and she will get to hunt for 2 weeks before the next surgery. I think she is more pumped than me for the season to start.

That is awesome. I hope the surgery goes well and that you both have a safe and successful season.

Hawgfan
September 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Yep...my wife is addicted to it like me. She just started about 3 years ago. We hunt and shoot 3D together all the time.

ahunter55
September 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
My wife is not a hunter but is completly supportive & has gone many times with me & shared time on stand. I almost lost her 3 years ago from a horrible illness so that has changed BUT she did go with me one nice day last year.

RUTIN
September 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM
This is why "I" hunt, so i get some alone time. My would never be able to sit still that long, plus shes a vet tech and doesnt want to see animals get hurt. Those of you that care share the moment good for you, I enjoy my alone time WAY too much!

McChesney
September 13th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I have a wife that is very supportive of my archery addiction, and I am real blessed. After having 4 kids, it kind of shut her hunting down, but, she is about to go bowhunting opening weekend with me on the 17th.....I am so happy!

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 09:59 AM
I always felt a little guilty about spending so much time away, but now I have the best of both worlds. Plus, the kids are getting old enough to hunt and enjoy it, so I look forward to it being a family thing. I still enjoy the "guy hunts" and solo hunts too, but the family aspect is very enjoyable for me.

byodes25
September 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I am also one of the fortunate ones. My wife had never been around the hunting/fishing lifestyle until she met me; she was a member of HSUS and went to a whole bunch of anti-hunting fundraisers (primarily because she got to "dress up" and all that jazz). Needless to say it all changed when I told her that during the fall i would go missing for days at a time and that if she would like to see me that she would have to go with me. Well, fate has a funny way of showing itself, because after SHE bought me a brand new bow for Christmas that first year, I had a bad bow accident and lost almost all feeling in my upper wrist and thumb. I was fretting big time to say the least. That incident in turn lead me to the wonderful world of bird dogs. She trained the dog with me almost every session and watched me shoot birds over her during these sessions. After awhile she wanted to shoot clays, so I bought her an 870 youth model 20 ga. We shot in a skeet league that winter and she couldn't hit crap. So one day I am driving home from work and she calls me to say that she just bought a Browning Citori XS Comp Gun. I was like "holy Sh*t, how much was that?" She didn't care because she wanted me to know that she was serious about shooting and getting eager to maybe shoot a bird over OUR dog. So the day came when she shot her first chukar over Roxy. I looked at her and said "Well, what did you feel?" She said "recoil (with a smile). Since that day, she killed her first deer with a rifle, hundreds of pheasants, chukar, and quail. And this year she will accompany me to the woods with her new Elite Ninja Hunter (25" 48lbs GT arrows and Magnus HHA dial carter Just Becuz 2).

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM
Good for you and her! That is great!! I'm glad that I started this thread. It is neat to hear these stories.

mr_evans2u
September 13th, 2011, 10:20 AM
My wife will go out with me to hang stands set up feeder, etc. but she does not hunt with me. She lets that be my thing. When we lived in Colorado I would take a week to go Elk hunting or according to her "her vacation from me".
She loves the meat and never complains about me hunting.

MDHunter70
September 13th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Me and my girlfriend just spent some time last night getting our gear ready for our Friday hunt. She loves to shoot bow with me and hunt. I would not consider the season offically started unless she was hunting with me.. I get more enjoyment out of watching her and my two daughters be successful than I do out of killing one myself..

BowhunterT100
September 13th, 2011, 10:53 AM
yep we hunt together mostly with guns tho

zenworks911
September 13th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I lucked out too, my wife loves to bowhunt and loves venison. In addition to that she likes being outside and likes to camp. Good luck this fall, I hope she shoots a nice one!

zenworks911

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I lucked out too, my wife loves to bowhunt and loves venison. In addition to that she likes being outside and likes to camp. Good luck this fall, I hope she shoots a nice one!

zenworks911

Thank you. Same to you!

DocMort
September 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
My wife is hunting this year with me for the first time. She shoots 3d and smokes alot of the guys in score so she is ready to shoot some live animals now.

Bowman51309
September 13th, 2011, 10:58 AM
I just got engaged to the woman of my dreams, big outdoorswoman, loves to hunt and fish. We are actually going up to Canada for our Honeymoon for a Whitetail hunt!

snoman4
September 13th, 2011, 10:59 AM
That is awesome. I hope the surgery goes well and that you both have a safe and successful season.

Thank you very much brother. She will get to hunt the first two weeks and then have to take about another 6 weeks off to recover from the surgery. Hopefully she will be able to hunt late November till the season closes after the 3rd week in January. She is a tough lady and has not let this disease get her down. If anyone knows where I can find pink x-bow arrows pm me please she wants the to represent her dealing with this disease.

snoman4
September 13th, 2011, 11:00 AM
I just got engaged to the woman of my dreams, big outdoorswoman, loves to hunt and fish. We are actually going up to Canada for our Honeymoon for a Whitetail hunt!

Sweet man. I got married last September 4 and we went to Cabo San Lucas on a nice fishing honeymoon.

Dinger9
September 13th, 2011, 11:05 AM
My fiance used to hunt when she was younger and unfortunately got away from it. Slowly but surely I am bringing her back in. She sat on a turkey hunt with me a couple years ago and has helped hang stands and plant food plots the last couple. She mentioned she wants to gun hunt this year but said she only wants to hunt on her fatrhers land not mine...Im thinking about giving up my opening weekend of gun hunting (I can bow but not gun hunt on her fathers property) to just sit with her. She loves venison and is very supportive and even helped me drag a deer out on a 5 degree December night last year. Only gripe I have.... our wedding date is October 15th right in the middle of the season (hoping for the mid-October lull every year so I'm not tempted to miss the anniversary!)

Buellhunter
September 13th, 2011, 11:09 AM
This will be the first year of me hunting with my girlfriend.
I am soooooo pumped!

mnbowhunter23
September 13th, 2011, 11:28 AM
My fiance bow hunts and fishes with me. She spent well over 200 hours in the boat with me this past summer. I got her into bow hunting two years ago and she is addicted. She's shot a doe the past two years and says she is holding out for a buck this year. She gets pretty pumped so we'll see how long she can hold out lol. Regardless i couldnt be happier that she comes with, that means more time for my hobbies and i enjoy spending the time with her.

ONEiiSHOTiiDROP
September 13th, 2011, 11:45 AM
nope, my g/f can't kill them "they're too cute"

Briar
September 13th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have done it and it wasn't awful, but it seemed to me I was not able to project my need to do things right onto her and it ended up being frustrating and a lot of work for me. I wanted her to be scent free, be able to climb and set up her own treestand and the whole business and it ended up me doing a lot of the leg work and her just simply "attending". I'd rather just go myself and worry about me, but she will do other types of hunting that dont' take so much prep.

BigXX78
September 13th, 2011, 12:25 PM
My first wife pretended to like hunting and fishing until the ring went on the finger. That wasn't all she pretended to like. With that marriage though, I got two sons who like to hunt and fish! Now after many years, I finally have a girlfriend who looks forward to going hunting, fishing and camping with me.

tsaxybabe
September 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/zomgitslaura/7130_1238514281293_1182330021_ 30757696_7065779_n.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/zomgitslaura/ducks2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/zomgitslaura/ducks1.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/zomgitslaura/IMG_0642.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/zomgitslaura/LauraDvorakandTysonHulingforGl obe.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/zomgitslaura/Guns/weddingparty.jpg

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 12:56 PM
My first wife pretended to like hunting and fishing until the ring went on the finger. That wasn't all she pretended to like. With that marriage though, I got two sons who like to hunt and fish! Now after many years, I finally have a girlfriend who looks forward to going hunting, fishing and camping with me.

We have been together for about 2-1/2 years now, with plans for a Spring wedding. I made it very clear upfront that NOTHING would EVER come between me and hunting. I meant it and she respects that. She actually encourages me to fish/ hunt to get away from the stress and relax. There was talk about a Fall wedding, but SHE was the one that said for us to wait, so it wasn't stressful during deer season.

She's game to hunt most critters, but she is out on bears. She won't hunt them and it is a dream of mine, so I will need a new buddy for that trip. :)

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Nice pics tsaxybabe :)

snoman4
September 13th, 2011, 12:59 PM
We have been together for about 2-1/2 years now, with plans for a Spring wedding. I made it very clear upfront that NOTHING would EVER come between me and hunting. I meant it and she respects that. She actually encourages me to fish/ hunt to get away from the stress and relax. There was talk about a Fall wedding, but SHE was the one that said for us to wait, so it wasn't stressful during deer season.

She's game to hunt most critters, but she is out on bears. She won't hunt them and it is a dream of mine, so I will need a new buddy for that trip. :)

Always looking for new hunting buddies. So if you find a good bear hunt I would join you anytime at a camp.

SSLegacy
September 13th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Always looking for new hunting buddies. So if you find a good bear hunt I would join you anytime at a camp.

Thanks and same to you! I will have to wait a little while for that one. After my big thread about "On your own or with an outfitter", I decided to take the plunge, so I am talking to one of the members who outfits about a Kansas hunt next year. It's not very far from home, but it would be a nice change of pace and an opportunity to chase some bigguns!

IdahoGobbler
September 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I like to think I'm the lucky one. I had boyfriends beforetry to teach me how to hunt, but driving around in a pickup isn't exaclty how you get a nice buck, although it is a great time. My current boyfriend however has chaned my outllok completlywe now have started our first deer season together and I already have got my first doe but honestly am learning tons. We talk everynight about the patterns lifestyles and just anything about whitetails and also gear. I've never understood my bow let alone know how to tune it, and npw I could tune his if he wanted to. He has really unleashed my passion for hunting and I ammm so greatful and I feel like the lucky one!

Love you colton!

IdahoGobbler
September 13th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Haha this is his girlfriend on his account sorry!

spflugradt
September 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
I love my wife hunting and fishing with me, we spent our honeymoon on a 7 day fishing trip and still talk about it all the time. We hunt together all the time and now when we fight it's about who gets to take which kid to sit in the stand with them.... I rarely win!!! But really is a great time to have a wife and 2 young boys that hunt with me almost always.

Steve