PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Archery Deer Season

bennymj171
September 19th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I thought since opener is only a week away that we should get this going!!!
Anyone besides myself going to be out and about on the opener?
Let's try to keep a running log of what we are seeing. It just might help one of us kill a good one.
Good luck to everyone this year.

SDSURESHOT
September 23rd, 2011, 06:18 PM
I plan on being out fighting the bugs. Have not had a good one on the cam yet. Bow is tuned and sighted in , broadheads are sharp and I'm ready for some venison backstraps.

hantenjr2007
September 24th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Will be there sitting in my treestand waiting for mr big but don't care if i see anything just want to be archery hunting

BlackXForce
September 24th, 2011, 03:29 AM
On my way to the hunting hole. Hope to way down another one, if not will at least I was hunting.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

bennymj171
September 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
very slow morning, didn't see anything, my best spots need a west or north wind so it could be a few days till I get a crack at one of the big boys

bennymj171
September 25th, 2011, 04:00 AM
went to one of our doe killing spots tonight, got a nice doe at 7:06pm, hit her too far back, she ran 40yrds and then stood behind a tree where I couldn't see her, after 5min I thought heard her fall, but still wasn't sure if she was down cause I couldn't see her cause of the tree between me and her, waited another 10min and then started hearing her fawn starting to call to her so I knew she must be down, hit the liver dead center, next time I get a crack at one that is still moving I'm NOT going to follow them forwad and expect to hit where I'm aiming I'm going to stop them and then make the shot. Last two deer have came from a liver shot with a slick trick magnum on a walking deer that i didn't stop (my fault) and they only went a max of 75yrds, pretty good heads as far as I'm concerned

bennymj171
September 28th, 2011, 12:57 AM
Went to one of our big buck spots tonight, seen 8 does and fawns and 1 fork horn spike, the big boys didn't show but it was a good night

bennymj171
September 29th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Went out tonight in the heat, was close to 90 when I got in the stand, didn't see anything moving, anyone else been out and what have you been seeing

Tank24
September 29th, 2011, 11:40 PM
I went out last Saturday PM- saw 11 does/fawns and 1 young buck. I haven't been back out this week since it's been so hot. Can't wait til it cools off again!

Medic17276
September 30th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Anyone hunt the chamberlin area? any tips? Im heading there in late october. This will be my first bow trip to South Dakota.

SdDiamondArcher
September 30th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I have been out once. I shot a doe wednesday night. I got down to recover her as soon as I shot her as I didn't want to deal with dragging her across the water after dark. Probably give it a few days and I'll head back out for a buck

bennymj171
October 20th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Went out Tuesday 10-18-11 seen 14 deer all does and fawns, shot a nice doe at 20 yds, things should start picking up now that it has started to cool off some

bennymj171
October 24th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Went out Sat and Sun night, both nights had a nice 2.5 year old come into the calls and decoy, no mature bucks yet

bennymj171
October 28th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Went out tonight, had what looked like a pretty good 4x4 at 90yds, didn't get the best look at him, didn't have the decoy with tonight and couldn't get him to come into the calls without it, should have ran home and got it after work, leason learned

scmelik
October 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM
haven't seen a deer while sitting in the stand yet.

SDSURESHOT
November 1st, 2011, 12:49 AM
Small bucks starting to chase does tonight. Had a spike come into a can call on Sat evening.

bennymj171
November 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
seen 6 or 7 does and fawns, along with a couple bucks, they were fighting to the north of me where I couldn't see them, only got a look at the one he was smaller than I wanted to take, also heard some chasing going where I couldn't see, it is starting to heat up

scmelik
November 4th, 2011, 01:44 PM
still having a very poor season. I have yet to see deer on stand. After a summer of hard scouting and a few stands hung in what appear to be great spots are all equalling up to a very disappointing season.

bennymj171
November 4th, 2011, 03:13 PM
sorry to hear that man
I went out last night and had a nice 4X5 two year old come into the decoy with a little snort weezing, he was just too young to shoot

icefishur96
November 26th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have seem 25 deer this season.....of all of them, 3 were bucks. None have been worthy of a shot. I am just horn hunting this year...seems to me that the numbers are down...maybe just my location??!!