PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting???

EmptyCross
October 1st, 2011, 10:29 PM
A friend has invited me to come hunt hogs on his lease in the Fort Lauderdale area. I have never been to Florida and never hunted hogs.
What kind of habitat do hogs use in January? Will my normal Massachusetts deer gear be fine or should I be looking to add some stuff to my kit?
My friend says he mostly hunts hogs with his AR 15 or a crossbow. I want to use my Mathews LX when im there.

DannyZack
October 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
i recommended a coc broadhead for hogs

EmptyCross
October 1st, 2011, 11:20 PM
I plan on using my WASP HAMMER 100s.

hogslayr
October 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Never hunted hogs in Florida..Ive always hunted them in south texas and most of oklahoma..hogs like thick cover! Once again ive never hunted florida at all so im unfamiliar with the terrain..i know one thing, Rage 2 blades to wonders on em!

DropTine797
October 7th, 2011, 09:59 AM
If you don't have one, I'd seriously invest in a thermacell for down here. Anyways in the early morning and evening hogs are quite active and can be found around water and their food sources but during the day they're usually in thick cover.

firehuntfish
October 9th, 2011, 06:14 PM
The advice about the thermacell is priceless, but depending on the amount of water on the property at the time of year, you may not even see a mosquito... January is a great month to hunt South Florida... If your buddy has lease property in South, or Central Florida, I assume he also has feeders running 'year round. Hunting a stand over a feeder is hard to beat. If it's cool out, hogs will be on their feet all day. We do alot of spot & stalking around all the feeders and the trails leading to/from them. Hog trails will literally be ruts dug into the ground, and the tree bases will be black from mud rubs.

The terrain you will be hunting may be anything from scrub oak and palmetto thicketts to open pastures. Your regular camo is fine.. Just remember that hogs have a sense of smell like a deer. You need to hunt the wind. Your shot placement is critical as well. Many hunters don't realize that a hog's vitals are more forward and lower than a deer. You actually need to aim up the middle of the front leg. Any more than a few inches behind the shoulder is going to be a gut shot. Take your time and get a good shot off... A hog's fatty hide plugs the wound channel and they often don't bleed well. If you hit them badly, you won't find them. Also very important to remember that if you shoot a mature boar hog (150lbs. plus) you need to take a quartering away shot just like you would on a quartering away deer. Big boars have a gristle plate covering their vitals all the way back to the second rib. It's like a 1" thick sheet of plywood. Quarteing away is the only way to get any penetration....Alot of first time hog hunters think that they made perfect shots only to realize that the broadhead never made it through the gristle plate.

And, lastly, I also strongly suggest you use only cut-on-contact broadheads... I know this will get a reaction from the "Rager's" here on AT, but they perform very poorly on hogs as a general rule... We don't allow our clients to use any type of expandable on our ranch...

Hope this helps.. Good hunting!

johnsizzle00
October 19th, 2011, 10:59 AM
The advice about the thermacell is priceless, but depending on the amount of water on the property at the time of year, you may not even see a mosquito... January is a great month to hunt South Florida... If your buddy has lease property in South, or Central Florida, I assume he also has feeders running 'year round. Hunting a stand over a feeder is hard to beat. If it's cool out, hogs will be on their feet all day. We do alot of spot & stalking around all the feeders and the trails leading to/from them. Hog trails will literally be ruts dug into the ground, and the tree bases will be black from mud rubs.

The terrain you will be hunting may be anything from scrub oak and palmetto thicketts to open pastures. Your regular camo is fine.. Just remember that hogs have a sense of smell like a deer. You need to hunt the wind. Your shot placement is critical as well. Many hunters don't realize that a hog's vitals are more forward and lower than a deer. You actually need to aim up the middle of the front leg. Any more than a few inches behind the shoulder is going to be a gut shot. Take your time and get a good shot off... A hog's fatty hide plugs the wound channel and they often don't bleed well. If you hit them badly, you won't find them. Also very important to remember that if you shoot a mature boar hog (150lbs. plus) you need to take a quartering away shot just like you would on a quartering away deer. Big boars have a gristle plate covering their vitals all the way back to the second rib. It's like a 1" thick sheet of plywood. Quarteing away is the only way to get any penetration....Alot of first time hog hunters think that they made perfect shots only to realize that the broadhead never made it through the gristle plate.

And, lastly, I also strongly suggest you use only cut-on-contact broadheads... I know this will get a reaction from the "Rager's" here on AT, but they perform very poorly on hogs as a general rule... We don't allow our clients to use any type of expandable on our ranch...

Hope this helps.. Good hunting!

Great advice, Hogs are not hard to find in FL, Find some Palmettos and water, and 90% of the time you will find hogs, I would recommend a muzzy 3 blade for a hog hunt, stay away from mechanicals, although i have heard alot of talk at the local archery shop about the NAP Bloodrunner 2 blade having great penetration on hogs becasue of the hybrid design. GET A THERMACELL. i dont care if the property if bonedry, if its above 50 degrees they are gonna carry you off without it, if you plan on stalking, there is a beltclip you can get with your thermacell that is worth its weight in gold.

dragonsfire311
October 24th, 2011, 11:18 PM
THERMOCELL is a must, we have mosquitos that are big enough to rape turkeys down here. I would use a fixed blade on hogs, no smaller then 100 grain.

Bass2Bucks
November 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr