PDA

View Full Version : Draw Length

Bud
March 2nd, 2005, 12:23 PM
I have measured the draw length for myself by a number of methods. What is the correct method I've used Bernie Pellerite's method from his book, measuring arrows, etc. Where on the bow is the correct place to measure? Is this the AMO length? What length are the bow manufactures giving us when they state use this module if the draw length is "X" inches? It seems that they are unsure when you ? their techs!
Please respond to the forum & to me if you will at ahowe@charm.net.
Thanks,
Bud

JAVI
March 2nd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Bud

There is a published standard by which the bow manufacturers are to measure the draw length of their bows. It is called the AMO/ATA standards, from this there are ASTM standards as well.

The rub comes when the manufacturers in their race to the fastest bows, (IBO speed rating) use a different method. The only thing binding the manufacturer to these standards is their agreement to follow them. There are no penalties for non-compliance.

Below is the correct method of measuring DL as prescribed by the AMO/ATA/ASTM standards….

You might also note that, just because a bow does not measure dead on the AMO draw length, does not mean that it won’t. a little string/cable stretch can go a long way….

Plus I’d venture that at least 75% of the people shooting compound bows do not know their “REAL” measured draw length. Instead them assume that the bows sticker/cam marking are dead spot on.

PA.JAY
March 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
If I'm Looking @ The Picture Right It's Nock Groove To Back Of Riser Plus 1 3/4 ?

Hollowpoint
March 2nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Well said Javi.
According to the cams on my bow, my draw is 30.5"....however the AMO on the same bows is 31.75".
My 30 1/4" arrow is only 1/4" past the pivot point.

JAVI
March 2nd, 2005, 01:02 PM
If I'm Looking @ The Picture Right It's Nock Groove To Back Of Riser Plus 1 3/4 ?
Not the base of the riser, but the pivot point of the grip....

Jorge Oliveira
March 2nd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Don't worry so much on measuring your draw, but adjusting it to your shooting form. After it's adjusted, measure it as per Javi's post so you may come back to it upon string changes, etc.

I shoot fingers, and believe you don't, so I'm not the one to advise you. But you shall get to at least 1/4" of your real draw lenght by whatever means it can be adjusted.

Bud
March 4th, 2005, 03:34 AM
I wish to thank all of you that have replied to my ? However I am concerned as to the methods used by the bow manufactures. When they use cam modules or cam settings, are these modules or settings rated as the AMO length?

JAVI
March 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I wish to thank all of you that have replied to my ? However I am concerned as to the methods used by the bow manufactures. When they use cam modules or cam settings, are these modules or settings rated as the AMO length?
As I stated eariler, there is a written standard that all bow manufacturers are supposed to adhere to. Not all do...

If you like I can direct you to the AMO/ATA ASTM standard.... No manufacturer will admit that they do not adhere, they just don't... Same with arrow spine and many other archery related items... the standards exist but little attention is paid to them...