PDA

View Full Version : Soft hearted?

Doeslayer13
October 4th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Ok,so im notorious for slaying does at are deercamp bc we are loaded with them. Well i sat in a blind today and i had several soe walk within bow range and left camp that morning planning on smoking one for backstraps. THe 1st doe walked out within 25yds with 2 fawns...for some reason i just couldnt bring myself to shoot one.idk the thought of shooting a doe and leaving the fawns alone(they would survive). And i repeated this several more times as more does funneled out the woods with fawns. First of all im NOT a pansy and have killed many yearlings and older,but i just feel like im cutting a life short if i shoot a fawn,i always love to see em run around the field and chase each other.But anyways,any of you guys shoot fawns?

Penn-man
October 4th, 2011, 07:41 PM
i dont shoot fawns, mainly just mama does

Bow Captain
October 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I dont hunt does, i might eventually, but its up to you is it ethical to shoot a fawn or a doe with a fawn(s). I would never, to me its just stupid.

nnelzon23
October 4th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I try not to. Just my choice. Dont care what others do.

NEMESIS2011
October 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I will not shoot a doe with fawns either.

Peetzakilla
October 4th, 2011, 07:48 PM
Depends on where I hunt. I try not to shoot button bucks but I have, on occasion.
Some areas I hunt are severely over-populated and we literally have to "earn-a-buck" by killing two doe first. When I hunt there, and I'm in the "earn" mood or get a really irresistible shot at a young doe, I take it.
Last year I shot one that was 57 pounds dressed. She stood perfectly broadside at less than 10 yards for 15, maybe 20 minutes.
There is no "ethical" question. It either is or is not ethical to kill animals for food. If it is, age is not a question, on it's own merits.
The question of a doe with fawns is a little more complex. It also depends on where I am hunting but also on my evaluation of their age and condition. If it's late(r) season and they look good and strong and good sized, yeah, I'll shoot mama, no question.

Hoytman_Sax
October 4th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Had the same intention yesterday. Took my summit viper for its first ride and enjoyed a morning of watching 5 yearlings eat acorns underneath my feet. It was one of those surreal moments I didn't to ruin. Haven't had a close encounter like that this year yet. When I thought of shooting one, I immediately thought why would I want to ruin such an beautiful moment? As a hunter if you enter the woods looking to kill, you'll leave 90% of the time disappointed. Not soft, just very appreciate of what nature allowed me to watch. :)

redneckone
October 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I have been known to wholesale slaughter entire deer herds. But as you i seem to be getting soft in my old age. Maybe im just not that mad at them anymore. I have found i like to mess with does when they come in more than i wanna kill em.(after i fill my freezer) I like to grunt and bleat at them wink at them toss stuff at them and generally just watch them play around. It can be more rewarding to just know you could have killed them and then just enjoy watching them do their thing. However i still have a vendetta against mature bucks.....

IL-Gutpile
October 4th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I usually don't shoot fawns just because they are so small....if I'm going to go through the work to drag out a deer, skin it and butcher, it needs to be worth more than 10 pounds of meat.
My only rule for shooting mama does with fawns is that the fawn needs to be old enough to have lost its spots....After that, I shoot mama any time I can....only shoot the fawns if they come by bawling cause mama is on the ground....then I shoot the fawn, too!:wink:

nnelzon23
October 4th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Heres the twins i had under my stand yesterday. They made a great photo op. Then at dusk one of the little suckers blew me out. Great experience, even better than what cleaning one of them would have been.

sirrobinhood
October 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Ok,so im notorious for slaying does at are deercamp bc we are loaded with them. Well i sat in a blind today and i had several soe walk within bow range and left camp that morning planning on smoking one for backstraps. THe 1st doe walked out within 25yds with 2 fawns...for some reason i just couldnt bring myself to shoot one.idk the thought of shooting a doe and leaving the fawns alone(they would survive). And i repeated this several more times as more does funneled out the woods with fawns. First of all im NOT a pansy and have killed many yearlings and older,but i just feel like im cutting a life short if i shoot a fawn,i always love to see em run around the field and chase each other.But anyways,any of you guys shoot fawns?

sir: Your not a Pansy.
You are a hunter that respects the animal that is hunted.
I shot an adult doe and did not see her fawns. a few mins later they come calling for their mom.
They circled her as she laid there dead. They would not leave her. That really ruined my day. If I had known she had fawns, I would not have shot. That will never happen again.

rodney482
October 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Early in the season,no

Late season, yep

bowhunter8point
October 4th, 2011, 08:17 PM
this time of year the fawns can survive so yes i would of shot the mama

Doeslayer13
October 5th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Ttt

SwampDog32
October 5th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm right there with you. I can't tell you how many doe's I've passed on that had fawns with them. Maybe I'm overly cautious! But I feel the same way. If I take momma away will they survive!

bt028
October 5th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Im with you, call me a panzy if you will, just can't gather myself to shoot 'em either. Took my buddy this past weekend, he said he was shooting anything in range. I told him i just can't shoot a fawn. He said he would have no problem flinging an arrow at one. Early opening morning, two fawns file in, and he couldn't pull the trigger. I just shook my head and gave him the ole "told you so" line!

I know they can survive, its just the fact I can't do it!

Grizz1219
October 5th, 2011, 11:36 AM
After Oct. 15th I would think that the fawns can survive without them,... if it is a button buck fawn, she will run him out of her range any way come Nov. so nature thinks they can be on their own then as well...

FIB
October 5th, 2011, 11:37 AM
sir: Your not a Pansy.
You are a hunter that respects the animal that is hunted.
I shot an adult doe and did not see her fawns. a few mins later they come calling for their mom.
They circled her as she laid there dead. They would not leave her. That really ruined my day. If I had known she had fawns, I would not have shot. That will never happen again.

I'm with you on this one!

sb220
October 5th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Doesnt the mama shun them off in a few more weeks anyways once she starts into estrus? I dont think its wrong either way...long as the fawn has lost is spots

redneckromeo
October 5th, 2011, 11:41 AM
I came to full draw on a doe on Sunday morning and was about to smoke her when I heard something coming behind her. I let down and waited and a tiny little fawn stepped out that was covered in spots. It went running over to its momma and started jumping around her and playing. Didn't have the heart to orphan it (when the spots fade so does my sympathy for them) so I eased back down in my chair and watched the show. I realize if I had shot the doe and the fawn had never appeared I would have orphaned it without even knowing and I'm sure I've done that on occasion but I don't knowingly do it this early in the season. With that said, I don't feel like my own personal choices for letting that deer walk should apply to anybody but myself. I'm out there hunting for me and I try to make sure I'm completely happy with every decision I make while I'm in the woods.

WNYBuckHunter
October 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I wouldnt bother with the yearling fawns, but Id shoot mama in a heartbeat. The little ones are good by now.

SSLegacy
October 5th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I only (accidentally) shot a doe with a fawn one time and that was during our November rifle season. I didn't expect them to be together, since it was during the rut and getting late in the season. I shot the doe, headed towards her and here came the little one. I couldn't take the bawling and I felt bad, so I shot the little one too. It was a legal deer without spots, but I don't like to kill the little ones, due to there be so little meat on them.

PAKraig
October 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
First morning last year 5 antlerless deer came piling by me at 7:05 a.m. I whacked the first doe I had a chance at, like I do most seasons. No less than 5 times during the remainder of the season, on various stands within the same property, I had her yearling doe wander by my stand all by herself, bleating softly every few minutes.

2 conclusions drawn: a.) They can survive on their own. b.) I will never knowingly shoot a doe with fawns early in the season ever again...

I don't know why she never joined up with the rest of the group she was with that day, but she turned into a lonely loner.

yougoteem
October 5th, 2011, 11:56 AM
If the fawns are spotless, 50 lb'ers or bigger then the doe will run them off as soon as she is in estrus. If I'm meat hunting I will shoot a yearling doe and leave the adult doe alone. The adult is a proven offspring producer and will ensure the future herd growth. There are times like others have said, that i just enjoy seeing them and just sit and watch. The hunting experience means more to me than just killing, it truly is good for the soul. Nothing wrong with shooting does, in fact it is just good conservation.

jna329
October 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Here is my .02! I made a decision a few years ago to try to improve my hunting area. Part of that decision is to only take old mature does. Reason-Old does are out of breeding age will not be bred again. Mature does with fawns will usually still be part of the breeding cycle and will eliminate a possible trophy for the future. In order to only take a mature doe you have to be able to judge her just as you would a buck. Simply, she will appear older and she wont have fawns with her. In my experience, she will also show up with others but she will be the scout and come in first or last. Btw, my hunting area is limited and I have to be extremely picky as I could ruin it quickly with bad judgement. Just not enough deer.

As far as your decision it is yours. If I hunt an area that has an over abundance of does then I will take any doe but usually wont take a fawn. I have but try not to anymore. Bottom line it is a judgement call that you have to make and your choice is the one that matters. Talk to the guys you share camp with and see what they say. If more people than you hunt the area then they should have a say in what animals to take. Those decisions impact the future of the area.

slickstalker
October 5th, 2011, 12:23 PM
You may think it's soft heartedness but I think you just manned up a bit. It's nothing to worry about.

maxx98
October 5th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Maybe I am a cold hearted son of a ***** but it really doesn't bother me that much. I have shot fawns with momma's and vice versa. Actually this past weekend I shot a momma and a fawn within seconds of each other.

I was hunting a controlled hunt where I have to kill two does before I can shoot a buck. I would prefer to not shoot fawns because like someone else said it is a lot of work for very little meat, but if I don't have many deer and that is all I have to shoot at I will still take one down.

pbuck
October 5th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only "pansy" around here. If I'm going to shoot a doe, it becomes sort of a trophy hunt to me. I'll pass on several to be able to shoot that one big doe w/out any little ones. That's more fun TO ME than whackin the first baldy that walks by. Granted, I'm lucky to have an area that's polluted with deer so I have the luxury of letting deer walk cause there WILL be more come by soon.

bowmadness83
October 5th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I shoot either a doe is a doe

T-head125
October 5th, 2011, 12:41 PM
Meh--- Never had an issue with killing an animal...

SSLegacy
October 5th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I watched an OLD grey headed doe in a field a couple of weeks ago. She was out there for over an hour and did not have any fawns... I am sure of that. She walked over to another mama with babies and it got nasty. The mama did not want her anywhere near the little ones. That old heifer probably weighed 200 pounds plus and had me trembling. It would have been a SCORE in my book, but the closest that she came was 25 yards and I had brush in the way. :(

SwampDog32
October 5th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Great disscussion. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Lowlevlflyer
October 5th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I wont do it, I just can't. If that's considered being a "pansy", so be it. Last year, I had a doe with two twin fawns that would come through my yard just about every morning. It was a joy to just sit and watch them play. I had every opportunity in the world to whack the mama, or all three for that matter, but it's just not worth it to me. Like was said above, hunting is about way more to me than just goign out and killing the first deer I see. I will not kill a doe with a fawn, that's just a hard fast rule for me.

rlp
October 5th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I couldn't take the bawling and I felt bad, so I shot the little one too.

I had to chuckle a little at the irony in your reasoning.:wink:

Lowlevlflyer
October 5th, 2011, 12:55 PM

Me too, but I definitely understand how he felt! Listening to a little one bawling for his mama who's laying there dead is tough! If it doesnt get to you, at least a little, you're a better man than I!:wink:

PAKraig
October 5th, 2011, 12:59 PM

From my above-post, I'm obviously in the same boat as you....however, I am thinking about posting a poll in a new thread that would determine if you should in fact be forced to change your user name....:tongue: :angel:

Kidding, of course.

Kevin70
October 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I was climbing my stand one afternoon, and had a fawn jump out of its bed right below my stand. She spent the next 30 minutes walking around bleating desperately looking for he mom. 2 hours later here comes a beautiful doe, she steps broadside out from behind a tree as I draw back....then like something out of Disney, here comes the fawn skipping through the leaves all happy, and goes up and starts kissing the mother doe. Needless to say, after letting my bow back down, I spent the next hour watching them clean each other. So if you are a "pansy" I'm right there with ya.

SSLegacy
October 5th, 2011, 01:07 PM

LOL... I had a buck laying under my stand... a doe laying 20 yards from where I stood and a little bawler standing 10 feet away and crying her head off. I dropped her where she stood and put my gun down, so I wouldn't be responsible for any more killing that day.

BB58
October 5th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I have passed this season a handfull of times on a Doe with Twin fawns....

sureshot516
October 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I wouldnt personally take a doe that is with fawns, and i wouldn't inteionally shoot a yearling neither I always question if they would survive and i think it's unfair to cheat them at life so soon. However that being said i do believe a doe will adopt a stray fawn

goathollow
October 5th, 2011, 02:25 PM
You're not a pansy but I have no problem shooting does with fawns. The fawns only hang around the dead doe out of habit. I feel fairly certain they don't feel remorse or some sense of loss because momma died. they wise up quickly and run off when the hunter appears. At least here in Indiana fawns are well past the wheaning stage and are self sufficient by start of archery season on 10/1. And, as herd animals they will find some more of their own kind to buddy up with fairly quickly.

And, I also don't have a problem shooting fawns. Granted there isn't much meat on them but what is there sure tastes good. I do try to avoid button bucks.

Doeslayer13
October 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM
there was an occasion 3 years ago i mortally wounded a mama doe with 2 fawns.they lost track of the mom and we both never saw her agaim.but the fawns hung around the food plots for days afterwards doing nothing but bedding down(they dididnt have spots)

Maddog10
October 5th, 2011, 03:00 PM
I had the same scenario as the OP this morning. Mama doe walks out broadside at twenty yards so I start to grab my bow. Well I hear some rustling behind her so I wait to see what it is. Out pops two of the most hyper little fawns I've ever seen. I just put the bow back on the hanger. Those fawns jumped around and played for probably 10 mins non-stop, all the while mama doe grazes around still at about 20 yards. It would have been an easy kill, but I just didn't have the heart to take out the mom with the fawns right there beside her. Plus this was only about 15 mins after sunrise so I had a lot of time ahead of me.

bucknut1
October 5th, 2011, 03:09 PM
ill shoot either

ohiobooners
October 5th, 2011, 03:10 PM
I think this kind of story is what should be told in response to PETA adds and such. Most hunters can relate to this. Im sure you didnt have any remorse about passing that doe. Good job my friend.

I was climbing my stand one afternoon, and had a fawn jump out of its bed right below my stand. She spent the next 30 minutes walking around bleating desperately looking for he mom. 2 hours later here comes a beautiful doe, she steps broadside out from behind a tree as I draw back....then like something out of Disney, here comes the fawn skipping through the leaves all happy, and goes up and starts kissing the mother doe. Needless to say, after letting my bow back down, I spent the next hour watching them clean each other. So if you are a "pansy" I'm right there with ya.

Lostleader
October 5th, 2011, 03:13 PM
We have LOTS of deer around. They travel on and off the property. I have seen a doe and her fawn and they will get a free pass if they walk by. We also have a doe with twins they get the pass. I can't take a doe with babies. They have enough to worry about and if they made it to October they should be around next October and produce more targets for the future. The one set walks through my yard daily, heck I fed them out of my garden all summer, they are like a family pet I don't have to clean up after. :angel:

Kevin70
October 5th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I think this kind of story is what should be told in response to PETA adds and such. Most hunters can relate to this. Im sure you didnt have any remorse about passing that doe. Good job my friend.

No remorse, even though up to that point, I had never shot a deer in VT (after many years trying). I also got razzed pretty good back at camp. lol

SSLegacy
October 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I personally don't need the meat bad enough to shoot a fawn, so I don't do it, but it never fails... the rifle hunters on my lease kill every one of them and most are given away because some guy at their work wanted deer meat. Each to their own, but it gets frustrating.

ohiobowhunter75
October 5th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I went out also intending on shooting one for the frezzer.I had two fawns around me for three hours Monday morning.They would not leave.They fed in the beans and bedded 20 yards from me.I had a bad urge to shoot something but not that bad I guess.

ishootahoyt
October 5th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feel this way. When I was a young hunter/killer, I would get excited and let it rip at whatever! To this day, I still think about some of those experiences of killing mama in front of the kids and then hearing them bawl and stand around waiting for mama to get up. I still feel bad about it! So no, I will not shoot a mama with little ones.

rootju
October 5th, 2011, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't shoot the fawns, but I would shoot the adult doe...

Maddog10
October 5th, 2011, 04:15 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one that feel this way. When I was a young hunter/killer, I would get excited and let it rip at whatever! To this day, I still think about some of those experiences of killing mama in front of the kids and then hearing them bawl and stand around waiting for mama to get up. I still feel bad about it! So no, I will not shoot a mama with little ones.

I did this once not knowing the fawns were behind the mama that I shot, and I'm not kidding the fawns went and stood by their mother and bawled for 10 minutes before I eventually just yelled at them to try to get them to leave. It was breaking my heart. They would stand right next to her and even try to lick/nudge her nose... I told this story on another forum and many didn't believe it and said that it sounded like a Disney movie, but I am telling the honest truth. Don't get me wrong, I love hunting just as much as anyone on here and will continue doing it for as many years as the good Lord allows, but that is the last time I will shoot a mother with fawns around unless it comes to the point where I NEED food for my family. Just this morning had a nice fat doe step out so I grabbed my bow, then saw two fawns jump out behind her and I just put the bow back on the hanger. I wanted to fill the freezer but not bad enough to do that again.

HillHunter34
October 5th, 2011, 04:19 PM
It's hard for me to pull the trigger on one come January, seen to many bred with twins when you open them up. I will try to shoot the loner doe if i can early season. Those fawns tear me up. Guess I start to think of my wife and 3 boys.

yougoteem
October 5th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Its gettin kinda soft and cuddly in here isnt it?

crockrj
October 5th, 2011, 04:48 PM
I don't shoot does with spotted fawns either. Now, if she has yearlings with no spots.... Game On!!!

Robin@AimLow
October 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
....then like something out of Disney, here comes the fawn skipping through the leaves all happy, and goes up and starts kissing the mother doe. Needless to say, after letting my bow back down, I spent the next hour watching them clean each other. So if you are a "pansy" I'm right there with ya.

Kinda funny cause the one thing running thru my mind reading most of the posts is you guys have been watching too much Disney.

I go hunting to kill something not nature watch. I believe what the biologists tell us in that by this time of year fawns are just fine without their mamma. Here inthe Midwest a doe without a fawn is rare. Some of you guys would never get a chance to kill a doe.

Penn-man
October 5th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Kinda funny cause the one thing running thru my mind reading most of the posts is you guys have been watching too much Disney.

I go hunting to kill something not nature watch. I believe what the biologists tell us in that by this time of year fawns are just fine without their mamma. Here inthe Midwest a doe without a fawn is rare. Some of you guys would never get a chance to kill a doe.
And this is what fuels PETA

Robin@AimLow
October 5th, 2011, 07:54 PM
And this is what fuels PETA

Yep. Going hunting and killing is at least part of what fuels PETA. So? Whatcha gonna do, quit killing stuff when you go hunting?

Fact is that PETA doesn't differentiate between killing a buck, mamma doe, fawn, or a roach.

KeeganA
October 5th, 2011, 09:05 PM
i wouldnt lose any sleep over it, but i would definitely let the doe walk. let one walk this opening morning (saturday) trigger finger isnt that itchy, even if, ive never killed a deer before.. let alone with a bow.. (im 15) but i also let small bucks walk. but then again.. who am i? if its legal, do as you please.

turkeyhunter60
October 6th, 2011, 02:31 AM
I Don't shoot Does or Fawns.......:thumbs_up:darkbee r: