PDA

View Full Version : Changed my strings and now can't get close?? Help!!!!

jduck1
March 3rd, 2005, 11:42 PM
I have a 03' Razortec. I read so much about the Vapor Trail VTX strings that I ordered a set of strings and cables and had them put on today. Last week I had broke my TT rest (My bonehead move that TT covered :D ).
I had never paper tuned the bow but the bow shot great groups. I marked a line where the TT mounted to the bow and placed it in the same spot when I remounted the rest. I had to take the other pieces of the rest off in order to change out the broken parts. I tried to put them back on in the same spot. When I went to shoot it after the fix I was shooting 12-16" lower and to the left than before??? I left it alone knowing things would change when the new strings were put on.
New strings were on and still the same problem. I set the knocking point at 1/8" high to start with. I also played with the peep a little and made sure it was inline with my sight line when drawn so I don't need to adjust my head up or down. I had to shoot my 50yd pin in order get the arrow close to where the 20 used to hit and that was after I moved the entire CJ sight down. If I drop it any lower I might have arrow/vane clearance problems with the sight.
What am I doing wrong? What is your set up procedure on a new set of strings using a loop and TT rest?

Thanks for any help in advance.
jduck1

PS- So far those Vapor Trail strings are very smooth, fast, and quite.

last-in-line
March 4th, 2005, 12:00 AM
It's tough when more than one thing changes at a time. in your case strings and rest. Sounds like you need to tune from scratch. The Easton website has a great guide to use if you need help. I might start with your nock location. You mentioned starting the nock point 1/8" high. It may be higher than that since you changed strings and this would explain your shots being low.

SteveR
March 4th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Here's my procedure to get things back to where I like them, after making changes.

I measure lots of things, carefully. The brace height, ATA, distance of nocking point from top axel. Distance of Peep from top axel. Distance of kisser button from nocking point.

For each bow I own, to get my rest at the proper height, I make an "L" shaped block of wood that slides between the riser and the arrow. I carefully sand this block down until I get it perfect. Then, using this as a guide, reattaching the rest takes only a couple seconds and is perfect.

By using these methods, I've been able to completely dissasemble my bow, put a new string on, and have the bow tuned without having to adjust anything.

low12
March 4th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I just changed the string and buss on two of my bows and got them back to specs fairly easy. First I made sure that the new string was the correct length and had the correct amount of twist in it. Example= Zebra strings are twisted one half turn for every inch of length=98'' string is twisted 49 turns. Then I twist the buss cable until the bows poundage maxes to 70-73 lbs. or 60-63 lbs. This should have the axle to axle and brace height correct, as well as cam rotation. Make sure limbs bolts are maxed out when checking pounds.

Now I set the nocking point 1/8 to 3/16 high and adjust the rest so the arrow covers the burger hole.

Good starting point for the center shot is to measure out 3/16 from riser to center of arrow.

Then I draw the bow with my eyes closed and move the peep until it fits.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Roland
March 4th, 2005, 11:52 AM
From what you're saying it appears that you installed your peep lower than it was before. It doesn't take much of a change to really alter where you'll need to set the sight. A good rule of thumb is start with your peep about 4.75" from the center of your loop and then adjust until you feel comfortable. I've found in most case's that you'll need to move it higher. On a side note short ATA bows might cause it to change the other way because of string angle.

njshadowwalker
March 4th, 2005, 01:20 PM
check your ATA, brac height and performance marks.....Make sure everything is turning over the same. The ATA seems to affect alot on the cam 1/2 bows

12-16 is pretty low...I change sights/rest etc at the same time and shot dead nuts on. Sumtin isnt right.

hansel
March 4th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I agree, you need to start from the beginning. Set the rest, nock position, and centershoot.Make sure cams are in the timing marks, check timing at full draw, basically start all over. Then paper tune to get a good starting point, then resight the bow. Good luck.