PDA

View Full Version : Paper Tuning Question

jamaro
March 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Okay... I have a question.. I have been thinking about this awhile and I have not come to a answer... Okay..
With alot of arrows after they loose contact with the string they are occsillating back and forth.. Right.... Sooo... You shoot thru the paper right.... Well If I am tearing left of right a little bit if I step forward or backward I could get a different tear BECAUSE the arrow will be at a different point of occsillation... right????

Does that make sense???? SOOOO... Does paper tuning really give you a good idea of what is happening or does it just give you a view of what is happing at the moment it pass thru the paper...

Jason
:cool:

Donhudd
March 4th, 2005, 11:42 AM
Your concern is well founded , to ensure good results, I start paper tuning at 3 feet to get attitude of arrow as it leaves the bow. When I get good resuts at this distance , I move back to 5 yards and make any fine tuning adjustments necessary. I then move back to 10 yards and almost never need furthur adjustments.

There are other fine tuning procedures to ensure that your grouping is the best it can be.

tdaward
March 4th, 2005, 09:54 PM
Remember, paper tuning is only one of many tuning methods you need to do.

Paper
tiller
group
center shot
nock
creep

the list can go on and on

1iarrowking
March 5th, 2005, 09:19 AM
;) I like to shoot with the point of the arrow at 6 feet and 12 feet from the paper. Usaully if you can get a good tear at these distances it will be good at any distance. Unless your shooting a bare shaft or very small vanes, testing at more than about 20 feet is useless because by then the vanes have corrected the arrow. If it hasn't, then you've really got a poor shooting set up.