PDA

View Full Version : Help with FPs vs. BHs

NCarrowslinger
March 4th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I'm shooting a 2001 Cybertec @ 68 lbs. 2315s with 125 g. heads. My field points are dead on, but my broadheads have just started hitting 2 inches left and 3 inches low. How do I correct this?

Reverend
March 4th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Assuming that you're shooting RH, and that your arrows are properly spined, and are shooting decent tears through paper, I would make real small moves to your rest:
1. Move a few clicks toward the riser, to bring BH back in.
2. Move a few clicks up, or slightly lower you nocking point, to move your BH up a bit.
Then retest with FP and BH, until they are grouping as close as possible. Be careful making adjustments. With BH, a little goes a long way. Too much, and you risk negatively affecting both FP and BH flight (throwing bow out-of-tune).
IMHO, if your bow is properly tuned, then these minor adjustments should correct the problem. You may find that after trying this that they still won't hit the same spot. In this case you may want to reconsider your bows tune, or else if you're happy with how it's grouping, you may just want to readjust your sights when you're shooting BH's.

Also, keep in mind that for BH to give you good flight, they must be perfectly straight. Hope this helps. ;)

NCarrowslinger
March 6th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks Rev. Any other thoughts?

Reverend
March 6th, 2005, 08:39 PM
In my experience, whenever I tuned my bow and couldn't get the BH to hit in the same area as FP's, no matter what adjustments were made to the rest, it usually indicated a weaker spine (even though it paper tuned and grouped well). If you do a search, I think you'll find that when BH's hit low and left, barring rest clearance problems, it indicates a weaker spine. Some bow / arrow / BH combo's prefer a stiffer than recomended spine. Have you tried 100 gr. heads, or lowing your DW 4-6 pounds? Try it it see if it improves. Our else try a stiffer arrow.
These are just a few other suggestions... hope it helps ;)

NCarrowslinger
March 6th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Rev,

The strange thing is that earlier this year, during deer season, my bow would shoot the fieldpoints and the broadheads perfectly. The broadheads hit exactly where the field points did. I haven't changed anything on my bow, except for the fact it got put on a moving truck and moved almost 1,000 miles. This is the first time I've shot broadheads after moving. I just can't figure out what changed.

I started shooting my broadheads because I wanted to give the Snuffer 125 heads a try. When I shot them, they hit low left. I then decided to try the Thunderheads I have been shooting and they hit low left too, (exactly where the Snuffers hit).

Reverend
March 7th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I've shot both of those heads. The Snuffer is a BIG and devastating head IF you could get it to fly right. In my experience you need a big vane (4-5in.) and an aggressive helical to get them to group well. But once you put an aggressive helical then you introduce another problem: rest contact :mad: (if you're shooting a release without a drop-away rest).
I was never able to get my Snuffers to group with FP's.

Also for me, the Thunderheads were always a little touchier than I prefer. Some would plane just a tad. I'm sure it had to do with my form (or lack thereof) ;) because there's no question that it is a great BH. But I'm just saying that "FOR ME" I got better groups with Rocky Mountain Premiers, Ti-100, Wasps.
Up until now I've stayed with these. They all group identically.

As far as your original BH's not grouping, it still has me scratching my head. :o Did you measure everything to make sure nothing moved, especially your string and cables... perhaps they stretched? Did you change anything? A new cable slide? Different fletching or vanes?

JAMIE
March 7th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I'd double check my strings and cables to make sure nothing has changed with them. Like REVEREND said, a little change goes a long way when dealing with broadheads. A little stretch in the strings or cables may not be evident when shooting field points, but it will show up with your broadheads. Check over everything, including center-shot, and see what's up. Just a very small change in tuning will probably bring the BH's back in with the field points.

NCarrowslinger
March 7th, 2005, 04:08 PM
The Thunderheads used to shoot exactly with my fieldpoints.

I haven't changed a thing on the bow or the arrows. The only thing that I can think is that soemthing got bumped or moved while it was on the moving truck.

BDZ65
March 8th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Been there done that with broadhead flight. Having my broadheads impact left of field points has been a common thing for me. I'll bet if you take a good hard look at your paper tuning, you are getting a high-right tear. I really like shooting bare shafts through paper at this stage, they have never failed to indicate micro-tuning issue. In my opinion broadhead flight is the acid test for good bow tuning and you need very close to a bullet hole if you desire to make broadheads impact with field points. I quess you gotta ask yourself if the view is worth the climb.

Brian