PDA

View Full Version : How sharp do me heads need to be?

SdDiamondArcher
October 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
this year I just started shooting magnus stingers. I have two heads that I would like to sharpen. I have a lansky sharpener. I have sharpened both of the heads, but I can't get them shaving sharp. I have been using the medium stone and the fine stone. I can get them to cut the edge of paper with relative ease, do I need to have them shaving sharp?

oct71
October 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Can you shave the hair off your arm with them? If they feel good and sharp, that's all you need.

Destroyer
October 13th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Yep shaving sharp or able to cut a piece of paper without tearing and without a lot of effort.

dlalexan
October 13th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I agree with both examples

c.sitas
October 14th, 2011, 12:22 AM
Veins in an animal are kinda like a rubber band. Stretch a small rubber band between your fingers. You should cut it with one bounce of the broadhead on it. This used to be taught in the old bowhunters schools of old.It's never let me down , I reuse all my heads.

Dethfromabove
October 14th, 2011, 12:24 AM
They need to be scary sharp. Why would you accept anything less?

BP1992
October 14th, 2011, 12:27 AM
Is that a trick question? As sharp as they can get!

SdDiamondArcher
October 14th, 2011, 12:28 AM
I can't get them scary sharp, I have never sharpened broadheads before. They cut paper smooth, I couldn't find a rubber band or I would've tried it. Also, I could occasionally get them to shave arm hair. I have a brand new one as my #1 arrow right now, just trying to get better as sharpening

Mapes
October 14th, 2011, 12:30 AM
I have never sharpened blades..I always feel better just replacing them

okdeerslayer
October 14th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Myself if mine won't shave they don't get shot a scary Sharp head is the only way to go.. keep practicing

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Number17
October 14th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Make sure you are sharpening at the original degree of the head (probably 15 degrees or so). Otherwise you will need to completely re-establish the angle of the blade using a course stone, med, fine......and so on.
I always strop my blades with a leather strop like a barber uses as a final touch. This step will take you to the next level of "Scary Sharp". I just use a 9" section of an old leather belt and put some oil to it. It makes a one time use edge, but that's what you're looking for in a razor.

c.sitas
October 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
If the head is nicked up bad,push the blade into the stone, if not gentlly drag away from the stone. When your are done strop the blade. I use the smallest pair of vise grips they make to grip and hold the blade. This way it's like holding a larger knife. Back to stropping . Go to any hardware store and buy a polishing kit that has the sticks of grit. One's made for dremel work great and are cheap. Take the red stick and rub it on any old leather belt.This will charge the belt with compound. Just wipe the sharp side backwards up and down the belt. I should have said to hang the belt buy one end first.This WILL make a shaving edge. It also makes your hunt more complete to know that some of yourself went into the hunt. Don't be in a hurry ,,skin doesn't grow as fast as you can take it off