PDA

View Full Version : Nock tightness

TCR1
March 4th, 2005, 04:47 PM
What is a good test to determine if the fir of the nock to the center serving is good? Mine felt a little tight at first, but have loosened up. This is a variable that could affect accuracy. What are your thoughts?

SpazAttack
March 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM
You are correct that nock tension greatly effects accuracy. Loose, tight or just snug, differences from arrow to arrow are magnified at longer distances. I test mine on a portion of the center serving below the loop and like mine so that they move with very little effort up and down the serving (loose).

PA.JAY
March 4th, 2005, 05:50 PM
YOU GOT TO HEAR THE EASTON CLICK ! If you don't hear the "click" then their to loose. thats what I was told long ago.

Jorge Oliveira
March 4th, 2005, 06:37 PM
I adjust my nocks so that when the string is horizontal and the arrow is hanging from it a finger tap turns the arrow loose.

This is fine for target by may be too loose for hunting.

BTW, this is an Easton recomendation.

DKN
March 4th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I adjust my nocks so that when the string is horizontal and the arrow is hanging from it a finger tap turns the arrow loose.

This is fine for target by may be too loose for hunting.

BTW, this is an Easton recomendation.

What You said

jimfc3
March 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM
what they said ^ :)

silverback
March 6th, 2005, 09:13 AM
what size serving do you guys use? I have a bowtech Pro 40 and I reserved it with .021. It seems like the nock tension is too tight. I'm guessing I should use .018, but I wanted to ask before I buy a spool.

tdaward
March 6th, 2005, 12:54 PM
This thread is exactly why I switched to Mag Nocks. 4.5 oz of release each time. I do believe it will get rid of a few misses due to inconcistant nocks. I haven't shot outdoors with them yet, but, very satified with them indoors..

magnock.com check them out. No I'm not sponsered by them or anyone, sadly.

R ARCHERY
March 6th, 2005, 01:13 PM
what size serving do you guys use? I have a bowtech Pro 40 and I reserved it with .021. It seems like the nock tension is too tight. I'm guessing I should use .018, but I wanted to ask before I buy a spool.
If .021. is to tight you are not puting the serveing on tight enough. I have used .025. on bowtech strings. serve it tight

jthompson
March 6th, 2005, 03:01 PM
silverback what nocks are you using? If you're using .088 small groove or 19-1 beiters yes .018 is the right size probably. If you are using small groove nocks you can switch to the wider ones and they should fit with .021 depending on how many strands and what material string you have on it. I agree with the tapping of the string test.

andy_smaga
March 6th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Another way to check is that the nock can slide up and down the center serving without any side play. :cool:

silverback
March 6th, 2005, 06:11 PM
they're the easton g nocks that come with lightspeeds
WHen I tap the string they don't budge. I have to "flick" it pretty hard to get them to come off.

I am not looking for optimal target quality here. I have the bow primarily set up for hunting. I am just concerned that the tension is too tight and may be causing tuning problems. I started getting a high paper tear after I put on the new serving. That's why I thought it was a problem. I was able to get rid of the tear, for the most part by reducing the tension on my rest. But the nock tension thing is bothering me.

silverback
March 6th, 2005, 06:14 PM
i'm pretty sure it is on tight enough. it's polybraid, and it has the nice spiral pattern that you get when you put it on tight. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Thanks for the suggestions guys