PDA

View Full Version : why is papertuning important?

stewart76
March 4th, 2005, 06:19 PM
ive never papertuned a bow, heck dont even know how....... explain?

PA.JAY
March 4th, 2005, 06:24 PM
http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

under tuneing ;)

archerycenter
March 4th, 2005, 06:40 PM
The only thing paper tuning tells me is if you are torquing your bow, or if your arrow is grossly overspined, or underspined.

I can take a bow that is perfectly tuned. A bullet hole through paper, and torque it just enough and get a nasty paper tear. Is the bow out of tune? No, I just torqued the snot out of it. :eek:

FallFever
March 4th, 2005, 07:23 PM
It isn't that important.

Consistant,tight groups at a certain yardage is much more important.

(X)

robk
March 4th, 2005, 07:41 PM
to it's not important either but once i get set up i shoot to see how well i am shooting. i usually set my bow and shoot it for groups then i shoot paper out to 10 yards and see if i am getting the bullet holes i want. other than that if i didn't paper tune it wouldn't make a difference.
rob k

stewart76
March 4th, 2005, 08:11 PM
thanks guys...... i am shooting bottlecaps @ 30 yards and i never papertuned it....... ive always set up my own bows and never papertuned them.......ive shot for 10 years or better, just dont know all the technical lingo yet...... im learning........ again fellows thanks

1iarrowking
March 5th, 2005, 08:39 AM
:rolleyes: I'll agree it doesn't mean snot for shooting consistant groups with target points. Screw a BH on and a set up that shoots good paper usually shoots those BH well and puts them pretty close to the target points impact. Try shooting through the netting of a blind with a set up that isn't paper tuned and see what kind of groups you get.

edthearcher
March 5th, 2005, 09:07 AM
I my self personaly would not start to sight in a boy unless I have papper tuned it first. a lot of the arrow rest companys suggest you do this first. to me it lets me know if my spring preassure is right, if I have to move the arrow rest in or out a bit maybe even move my nocking point up or down a little. example lets say I have a 100 grain point on my arrow want to change to a 75 grain arrow, they will leave the bow a little diffrent. so I than tweak. once Iam happy with the way my arrow leaves the bow, I group at 20 yards. than move out to 30 than 40. but I strongly believe in papper tuning.

tdaward
March 5th, 2005, 09:11 AM
it's a good way to initially set up your bow. It's not the final piece to the tuning puzzle. It may or may not speed up the tuning process, by getting the arrows coming out of the bow good, then work on the groups.

HCAman
March 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I always paper tune my bows when I set them up. After I have the rest location and the nock location set closer, I bare shaft tune at 20yds then 30 yds. the paper tune just reduces the bare shaft tuning time.

hope this helps

psychobowz
March 5th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I prefer to shoot for 60 yard groups too, and then just "check" it on the paper, to see how it looks, but I don't base my whole bow around paper tuning

CAJUNBOWHNTR
March 5th, 2005, 01:34 PM
When first setting up a new bow or arrow rest etc,I will paper tune to get the centershot and nock height close.Then group tune with fp's and broad heads.

CB