PDA

View Full Version : NY Soutern Zone, how was your opening day?

orrsmills
October 15th, 2011, 11:16 AM
bow opener sucked for me, windy, only saw about 6 does. Looks like it's going to be windy all weekend.

orrsmills
October 15th, 2011, 11:48 AM
I guess eveyone is still out hunting....

ItecKid
October 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Haven't gone out yet. I prefer to hunt at sunset.

bowhuntnsteve
October 15th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I hunt 9J, didn't go out cause of the weather, waiting to see how it will pan out for the evening hunt. Looks like tomorrow will be better for sure.

Assault
October 15th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I'm done for the day thanks to a wedding. I was fortunate enough to see a 4 point, 40 yards away, right at 7:00! The wind wasnt as bad as I anticipated, but it wasn't good either! I guess the best part of it was it was blowing in the right direction!

"Doe Slayer"
October 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Betwenn dad and I we saw 11 doe between 6 and 1030am...nothn close to shooting range..pretty windy here at 4S...girlfriends dad shot a weird 6 point however at 7am!

dropout
October 15th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Dry but windy here in Columbia county. Saw five doe. Good to be out though. Will see what the evening brings.

timbowny
October 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Haven't gone out yet. I prefer to hunt at sunset.
I am with this guy. We will see in a few hrs.

cbow3
October 15th, 2011, 12:27 PM
9j wind rain and more wind. saw a 4, 8, and 9pt between 7:45 and 8:30 all when the wind slowed and all three got my wind.

teamNFB21
October 15th, 2011, 12:28 PM
i hunt 6p out by sylvan beach shot a 5 pointer at about 815 this morning good way to start the season

rwk
October 15th, 2011, 01:11 PM
9 r wind rain

stillern
October 15th, 2011, 01:15 PM
No rain in the northtowns. 3 doe. Had one come right down the trail at 20 yards with her fawn, got behind a tree, I drew, then they darted back into the corn. Really jumpy with all this wind. Probably gonna stay in this afternoon. Didn't really see anything until @ 9:00am. And then...

NYhunter24
October 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM
i went out and seen 5 doe. wind was perfect ( even though very windy). had a doe come in all by herself downwind and never smelled me about 7:30. then at 9 seen a string of 4 doe. had 2 little ones, a big doe, and a decent-sized doe. good morning for me. ill be out this afternoon as well. ill tell u what happend

davejohnson2
October 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
hunted 7s passed a 5 point, buddy saw a 6 ,9 and fork horn, going to a corn field tonight where they were out in last night, big 10 coming through there and a nice 8 and a few other bucks

valastroa
October 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
So far, had 6 come in but no closer than 50 yards, and with the wind im not about to take that shot. Heading out for the evening around 3.

NY911
October 15th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Beautiful morning,.no deer...5 hours...no deer...LOL

Darien Outdoors
October 15th, 2011, 02:44 PM
8G ...Slep in and let them think they are safe for another day.

Axtell3
October 15th, 2011, 02:46 PM
We're going to give it a whirl at 4.

Dunk93
October 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
NY 3H zone hunter here. Too windy today. Hopefully the conditions will improve. It's looking like a sunday startup to the season.

sawtoothscream
October 15th, 2011, 03:01 PM
hunted 7s. saw 3 doe at sun rise and a squirrel. thats it. hope tomorrow is better.

nystangkid
October 15th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I'm down in Putnam County..heading out now. i'll be hunting on the ground dont feel like swaying back and forth

mathews mike
October 15th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Been in a tree since1pm hunted the am on the ground no deer couple turkeys at 40 yards wind is crazy where I am 3r

buckfever1969
October 15th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I got busted putting on my mask just before daylight.The deer came from behind me it blew 2x and stomped its foot.Saw a couple untouched scrapes on the way in and one had been worked after I saw them. Cant get out this afternoon.Try again in the morning

Mr.1 Shot
October 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM
8G ...Slep in and let them think they are safe for another day.

Ha ha +1 It is Brutal in 7m Brutal I tell ya ... I think I am getting to be a fair weather hunter as I get older ..... Until preRut and I start using the Pee ..I am a Scent head .

Btank
October 15th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Hunt the corner of 4a 6s and 6r, right at 8:30 had a dandy 115 or 120 high racked 8 or 9 come through at 60yds, no shot at all,followed by a so called turkey hunter right behind it. Man was i pissed.. talking loud to me up in the treestand and everything else.. Couldnt say a damn thing since he was on the other property, Gonna let er cool down for the day after that lil episode..

Spikehorn11
October 15th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Very windy in 7F. Saw nothing from the stand.

On the drive up I passed a field I normally see deer in. Shined my flashlight and there were 5 deer. 3 spikes, a 6 point and a very small flattop. Guess a BB buck. Saw a grey fox down the road to.

Heading out now till sunset.

HotRodF7
October 15th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Hunt the corner of 4a 6s and 6r, right at 8:30 had a dandy 115 or 120 high racked 8 or 9 come through at 60yds, no shot at all,followed by a so called turkey hunter right behind it. Man was i pissed.. talking loud to me up in the treestand and everything else.. Couldnt say a damn thing since he was on the other property, Gonna let er cool down for the day after that lil episode..
this blake?

BowtechGuardian
October 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Shot this old girl at 830 at 22 yrds. Was a bit windy where I was in Hamilton but a beautiful morning. Shot her with the Phathead SOB's. She went 40 yrds and piled up. The biggest doe I have ever seen. Atleast 160 lbs.

drabe
October 15th, 2011, 08:19 PM
nothing in 7A. saw a couple squirrals

orrsmills
October 15th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Went to get down at dark and hey no quiver. Must of blew out tree during the wind storm. Will be climbing up tree with arrow in teeth tomorrow AM. Got one shot tomorrow morning.

Sub-Urban-Deer
October 15th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Down here in Putnam county, Got called in to work this morning, so my hunt was off. Going to try for ducks tomorrow befroe the SE season closes. Then its deer time startin' monday! Good luck y'all!

t-maxx
October 15th, 2011, 08:39 PM
I hit one with my car near Conesus lake at 6:00 AM this morning. Broke side view mirror and left a big dent in the fender. :angry: Kinda ruined my day but still went out in the morning. Didn't see anything.

diesel094
October 15th, 2011, 08:49 PM
upstate ny was rain and 30-50mph winds... went out for about 2 hours in it... being 20ft. up in that felt like I was riding a mechanical bull

ItecKid
October 15th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Went out this afternoon in 4L. Even though it was only 30% chance of rain, we got poured on. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, going to try again.

Tpr430
October 15th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Got lost on the way in. Thought I marked my trail better than I did. Nothin all morning....

Dan7168
October 15th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Really windy but all around not a bad day, was dry and saw 10 deer just nothing I wanted to shoot. Boy were they skiddish though. I had deer come and and get spooked and come back about 10 times, when wind blew hard or when apples fell

bunker
October 15th, 2011, 09:08 PM
West Windsor NY... only saw one doe with two yearlings after 12 hours outside. Did not get wet, but my face feels windburn from the relentless winds. Good luck Sunday. Bunker

Fortyneck
October 15th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Shot this old girl at 830 at 22 yrds. Was a bit windy where I was in Hamilton but a beautiful morning. Shot her with the Phathead SOB's. She went 40 yrds and piled up. The biggest doe I have ever seen. Atleast 160 lbs.

Nice work!

Tax Lawyer
October 15th, 2011, 09:13 PM
6 does, 2 4 pointers and a 8 pointer. They all got passes. Not bad for 25 mph winds.

davejohnson2
October 15th, 2011, 09:18 PM
drew on a doe tonight at 10 yards, couldnt stand up in the stand to shoot it was soo windy! let down and decided to pass and not ruin the spot for bucks

Spikehorn11
October 15th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Very windy in 7F. Saw nothing from the stand.

On the drive up I passed a field I normally see deer in. Shined my flashlight and there were 5 deer. 3 spikes, a 6 point and a very small flattop. Guess a BB buck. Saw a grey fox down the road to.

Heading out now till sunset.

Glad I went out this afternoon even with the wind and rain.

On the walk in I walked up on a doe feeding in the field. Almost got a shot but she busted me when I was trying to get my range finder out of my pocket.

At 5:37 a doe came up and stopped at 19 yards. Wind was blowing hard so i wanted to wait a second and let it calm. The doe looked behind herd and bolted. She saw something she didn't like. I was hoping a buck spooked her but never saw it.

Here's the video.

http://youtu.be/3PSXOJvSj14?hd=1

Bumped another deer on the way out.

Back at it in the morning.

RawJuice
October 15th, 2011, 10:36 PM
Way to windy where i was at, saw absolutely no deer at all, but I think im ganna head up again tomorrow cuz ive been told theres a giant buck thats been around so i would like to get every chance I get to get that guy, says its suppose to be about 17mph, im in a toss up, you guys think thats too much wind or what?

WNY Bowhunter
October 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM
Woke up this AM @ 5:45, ate breakfast, started to get ready to go out, came to my senses and went back to bed...:thumbs_do. Put a stand up later in the AM and headed out for the evening hunt around 4:00 despite the wind/rain. Had this little yearling 8-pt. come out around 5:30. He just showed up one my cams for the first time a couple of days ago. Real nice young buck, hopefully he can make it through a couple more seasons:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/WNYBowhunter/IMG_0730.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b284/WNYBowhunter/IM000077nb.jpg

He bedded out in the field and I climbed down and snuck out without spooking him. I ran into a spike on the way out...we had a staredown @ 40 yds...I got within 20 yds...he just kept staring and finally let out a snort and spooked. He stopped at the edge of the woods and then started following me for a little ways as I walked back to the truck!!!

Hopefully, the weather tomorrow will be a little bit better...

Btank
October 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
this blake?
It is what happenin bub?

joser
October 16th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Saw six doe just before sunset, they came out into the field in a spot I did not anticipate, well they are in the area so hopefully one walks by me soon!!!

joser
October 16th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Way to windy where i was at, saw absolutely no deer at all, but I think im ganna head up again tomorrow cuz ive been told theres a giant buck thats been around so i would like to get every chance I get to get that guy, says its suppose to be about 17mph, im in a toss up, you guys think thats too much wind or what?
You can't get them from the couch!! Its always worth it to be out, especially on the second day of bow season!!!!

mermatt83
October 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM
I'm hunting 4J. I was up in my stand about an hour before legal shooting time. First time hunting ever. That hour was an eternity. I was so jumpy and alert to every sound and moving (falling) leaf. Hear some nice nature stuff. An owl hooting for like 10 min on and off. Didn't see a single deer. But I did see a person trying to still hunt. He finally saw me and backed away, but on my way out of the woods i ran into him and we talked for a few minutes. There were 3 other guys with him, plus me hunting a property that could maximum hold 2 bow hunters without totally freaking out the deer. One would be optimal. Not too happy to learn that there were 3 other hunters within 300 ft of me. Could explain the zero deer activity!!! Hoping this is just opening day issue. Otherwise, I'm gonna have to rethink how and where I'm going to hunt this year. Put so much time into my current spot..... arghhhhhhh!!

buckfever1969
October 16th, 2011, 05:41 AM
Heading out this morning. Seems wind has let up some. Trying decide what stand to hunt. Hope not bump any again this morning.

sweet old bill
October 16th, 2011, 05:50 AM
dsw nothing yesterday but will try agin this morning...

Axtell3
October 16th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Went and saw a bunny. My boy got cold fast, even dressed for winter. I'm going by myself this afternoon.

strauss16
October 16th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Had a nice 120 inch 8pt coming up the trail to my stand, then he bedded down 35 yards from me behind a tree, really frustrating. Then 15 minutes before dark he gets up and goes the wrong direction, no shot. He was the only deer I saw. I started on an oak flat in the morning that is usually crawling with deer but with the wind it was empty. Moved in the afternoon outside some thick cover in a swamp with better luck.

sawtoothscream
October 16th, 2011, 01:03 PM
same 3 doe and a 4 point. trying to hunt a different property tomorrow morning and had back to this same spot friday since i cant hunt next weekend.

DannyZack
October 16th, 2011, 01:05 PM
i saw 11 deer. no shooter bucks though. i could have killed all 11 but i already have meat in the freezer. when i run out i might take a doe

omenshooter10
October 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Went out this morning and weather was decent, sun with a light to moderate westerly wind. Sat in the stand till noon. Didn't see any activity at my hunting grounds today. On the way out seen a small flock of turkey. Hopefully gonna get out a little later with my brother before he has to go to work and maybe just maybe one of us will get a shot on a deer. So far 2 days and been on stand for 10.5 hours and no deer. Hopefully weather changes will bring the deer to move more often.

NY911
October 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Congrats on the big ole nanny!

Bowtoons
October 16th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Opening morning sucked!!! Got to my stand an hr. before light to find out some knuckle head stole my 2 bottom sections of my climbing stick. So I sat on the ground and had a 6pt. ten feet away from me. I got a doe this morning at 7:30a.m. Time to wait for big boy the rest of the season now.

mermatt83
October 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM
Opening morning sucked!!! Got to my stand an hr. before light to find out some knuckle head stole my 2 bottom sections of my climbing stick. So I sat on the ground and had a 6pt. ten feet away from me. I got a doe this morning at 7:30a.m. Time to wait for big boy the rest of the season now.

Where do you hunt? Post this to hunters in your area, maybe someone can help you find that *****hole!!!!!!

davejohnson2
October 17th, 2011, 11:11 AM
well sunday was a better day by far! still nasty, but heres what happened: my buddy who was on his 3rd sit ever as a bowhunter missed a 4 point at 23 yards, i saw nothing but having to slide down the tree like a fireman and scamper 5 yards away and drop my drawers at 8 am probably didnt help. my girlfriend who is still in the hunt for her first deer saw 8, 7 does and a 6 point, she drew on the does but one group picked her offf and the other didnt present a shot. my brother saw 2 does, and then a bobcat! well for the afternoon i went back to the same spot i mentioned earlier with the doe and her twin BB fawns, well it starts pouring rain, and whipping wind again, i think oh well i might as well stay put, well at 5:30 i catch movement to my left, and it is one of the button buck fawns. i grab my bow, and the other fawn walks by, so guess who is next? here comes mamma nerviously right in to 8 yards. i draw, stop her, bring the pin up the leg 1/3 way and let it fly! it smacks her perfect, and she runs off, now this is where the problems start. As i said earlier, it was pouring, and the blood trail quickly washed out, so i got my dad and buddy together and we grid searched. luckily we found her dead in the middle of a field on the other side of the chunk of woods, she went about 200 yards, which i thought was far. anyways we getted her and dragged her out, and got her all hung up, cant kill em from the couch i guess it was worth going out in the crap.

oh and on a side note when my dad was on his way up a bear ran out of the corn field i was hunting right in front of his truck, same bear that chased me there earlier in the year. hopefull i can get an arrow in him. here are some pics, the stelforce phathead was a complete passthrough and exited through the far shoulder blade

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/davejohnson2/doe.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/davejohnson2/doe1.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/davejohnson2/doe3.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/davejohnson2/heartshot2.jpg

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn238/davejohnson2/heartshot.jpg

Grizz1219
October 17th, 2011, 11:44 AM
5:15 Saturday night...

davejohnson2
October 17th, 2011, 03:00 PM
ttt anyone have any luck today or this past weekend

phade
October 17th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Passed up a doe parade last night. Don't really like shooting does on a Sunday night because of work obligations.