PDA

View Full Version : tuning question, switchback

DARTON'S RACK
March 4th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Hey guys,

I just got my mathews switchback and i put my trophy taker rest at mathews recomended 13/16 from riser to arrow center. went to paper tune and i am getting a 1 1/4" left tear that i cant get rid of. I've moved my rest gradually to the right til i was at 5/8". still the same tear. so i just put my string and arrow so they line up with the new fancy centerline on the handle. what do you guys think could be my problem???

with my arrow and string lining up with my handle center, my arrow is 3/4" oncenter from my riser. and my sight pin is fully left of the string.

I am a right handed archer, shooting with a release and a string loop nock. my bow is a 60 pounder cranked down at 63 pounds, 27.5" draw. arrows are gold tip xt5575's with 85 gr. tips, and are cut to 28"...

PLEASE HELP ???

Tn10point
March 4th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Check your bow at full draw see if your idler wheel is leaning . If it is put some twist in the yoke to pull it back straight. Also make sure the entire bow is in spec. ATA 33" be sure to measure the ATA on both sides of the bow. BH 7" from center of berger hole to back of string {shooters side of string}.Make sure your timing holes in the cam are parallel to the string Also be sure all measurements are taken with bow at max poundage. One more thing make sure to back off limbs seven full turns before pressing. :)

highwaynorth
March 4th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I had the same problem with my LX when i bought it. I'm left handed
and i had a tail right tear i coundn't get rid of. I called mathews and they
said it likes a softer spined arrow. I'm shooting 27 3/8" draw 70 lbs
and gold tip xt 3555's at cut to 27" with 125 grn points and blazer
vanes. it shoots nice bullet holes with the arrow 13/16" from the risor.

Wetz
March 4th, 2005, 09:00 PM
I just bought a new Switchback myself and had a friend set it up for me. It to has a trophy taker rest. I must have been lucky because I got a bullet hole on the first shot. Not that any of that helps you but if you try the Mathews website they have a section on tuning and I have read where different people have had the left tear problem and there were quite a few differerent things to try. I'm shooting ics 400 arrows with 100 grain points.

Good Luck

archer2
March 5th, 2005, 04:44 PM
I agree with 10 point.It is most likely in the idler tracking. With your limb bolts bottomed out look at the string coming off the idler wheel as your drawing your bow. It should be tracking straight. Chances are it coming off the idler wheel to the right. If so put some twists in the left cable yoke to straighten it out. Mine did the exact same thing and the only to get rid of the left tear was to make sure my string was tracking straight. Mine was coming off to the right. I had to put 4 twists in the left yoke, and the tear disappeared. My centershot is at 11/16, which is where they seem to be running from all the people I have talked to. They also seem to like a level nocking postion, not slightly high. Good Luck

Rickochet
March 5th, 2005, 05:20 PM
I had the same results. I tuned until my centershot was 11/16" with 0" nock point. I get bullet holes as long as my form is up to the task. That Switchback is a fine shooting bow!!! :D

oggie2635
March 7th, 2005, 02:32 AM
be sure you don't have any fletch contact first. the arrows could use a stiffer spine. are they new? the rest should be almost dead center, i have never measuerd mine but they look centered. also if you have a left tear you should move the rest left to get rid of it. don't worry about the sight pin after your tuned you can move the sight to match.

olehemlock
March 7th, 2005, 02:33 AM
If your tail is tearing to the left shouldn't you be moving your rest to the left. :confused: