PDA

View Full Version : "X-Coat" at home

PLASTIC PAUL
March 5th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Recently i got sick of my strings fuzzing up between my nock serving and my bottom serving. It has apperantly been rubbing on my clothing due to my stance not being as open as some folks and wearing layers of clothes.

My solution was to load my serving tool with 4lb test fishing line and serve this section of my string. WOW, it came out so smooth! There are no ridges you can feel, in truth it feels like a plastic coating has been applies to the string. I used a standard monofilament in a fine diameter (trilene xl). This might help in any wear area of a string or cable. If is a serious wear area a tougher line like XT might work better but it might be worth a try.

mike
March 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM
i have done a similiar thing. my redhawk peep was hitting my string so i served in up with some spider line and no more contact

PLASTIC PAUL
March 5th, 2005, 08:11 PM
What's the diameter of the spider wire and is it clear?

mike
March 5th, 2005, 08:26 PM
i went and checked and it was spiderline fusion. it is green and was 30lb test 10lb diameter.

i had never served a string before but i knew how to wrap the string on old wooden driver heads that i used to work on.

i just cut a long piece and went to work on it.

PLASTIC PAUL
March 5th, 2005, 10:01 PM
I once built clubs, that was in a different life....
It is the same principal. My 4lb popped today so im doing it again with less tension and with 6lb. I like the clear mono because the string shows thru. I have built fly rods and tied flies for years so this stuff makes sense to just like it does to you.

deadx
March 5th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Guys, X coat is put on at around 200 lbs of tension. Are you doing that with your home brewed version? And they use a Halo type serving material that is hell for strong. Just trying to help :eek:

mike
March 5th, 2005, 10:44 PM
i only used mine to cover up about 2 inches of the cable that was unprotected and getting hit by my peep not to act like the xcoat

PLASTIC PAUL
March 6th, 2005, 12:07 PM
That's why i put it in quotes, it's not really X-Coat. It was a good way to describe it because that's how it felt to me. Mine is being done at like 4lb, only 196 more and i'm right there. LOL :eek:

bucknasty
March 6th, 2005, 02:44 PM
deadx, i hope you meant that the string or cable was under 200 lbs of pressure when the serving was applied, that's what WC does. the serving doesn't get wrapped with 200 lbs of pressure. hehehehehehehe try hanging 200 lbs from a single strand of bcy halo end serving. just the thought is hysterical. guess you'd have to make strings to get it.

PLASTIC PAUL
March 6th, 2005, 04:18 PM
I haven't made any strings yet but i get it.....
I think Halo has a strength of around 50-60# I haven't checked it but spectra in that diameter is generally in that area. Now that Spectra is going to be in short supply what are they going to use.

MSCJEM
March 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Well you all are doing some good stuff but just for giggles someone try some 8125 white hand spooled on a jig and see what happens,it will come out clear and will protect your string very well.I had some insite on x-coat from some one that is a very reliable source and they said its the just a smaller version of 8125.. GOOD SHOOTING
MIKE

bucknasty
March 7th, 2005, 12:27 AM
no doubt, i love all the names the companies come out with. the new one i love i hear people pimping is vapor trails 'new' material. that part is hysterical to me. the only thing funnier is hearing people who don't know anything about it acting like something got invented. put in 1% more or less vectran and give it your own name and tell people its the greatest and they'll believe you and then tell other people its the greatest because they use it. i encourage people to go learn about the VERY FEW materials strings are made of and find out the different names are just different % combinations of them.

that said i want to make it clear i think vapor trail makes mighty fine strings, and is doing a great job marketing.

flinchmatic
March 7th, 2005, 01:17 AM
cut the serving off your brand new string and re-serve it full length(a couple of inches more towards the bottom cam).....like the old bows used to come with.yeah...you'll probably loose a couple of feet per second...but you won't have that"fuzzy feeling" on your string. I ,too , am apparently hitting my shirt every once in a while. I used to just serve in a short section under the existing serving but I always end up cutting them off and putting one long,nice tight one on......it lasts a long time!!!

deadx
March 8th, 2005, 01:25 PM
bucknasty,
My bad. You are right, the string or cable is tensed at 200 lbs and then the halo serving is served on at an unknown tension (but probably pretty heavy). I am not a string making expert and certainly don`t want to mislead anyone :eek: However they do it, they do a fantastic job and the strings are tough as nails ;)

PLASTIC PAUL
March 8th, 2005, 07:08 PM
I reserved it with 6lb and less tension on my serving tool and it is working like a charm. I have shot it a fair bit over the last couple of days and no problems. It also looks pretty cool when the sun hits it. It gives kind of a prizm effect.