PDA

View Full Version : an arrow theory

PLASTIC PAUL
March 5th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Recently i have been thinking about arrows and soines and accuracy and all that stuff, OUCH !!!

I think most of us would agree that we can get an arrow that is actually way to stiff to fly well with enough tinkering. The question that has been echoing around in my attic is, what are we doing to our bow to accomplish this. Some folks will say we haven't effected our bow at all.

I on the other hand, believe we have to some degree tuned the bow to the arrow and therefore changed some the shooting characteristics of the bow. Speed is not what i am talking about. I am referring to things that will effect the accuracy/forgiveness of the bow.

In order to get my X-Cutters (a very stiff arrow) to fly properly i had to really monkey with the arrow. I have a 28" draw, i shoot 54# and a mild cams. My X-cutters are 30", have 140 grain points, and have 3" vanes with the standard X-Cutter nocks rounding out this deal. All of this results in a rig that pretty much hits where it's aimed. Not a problem? well sort of, intruduce operator error.

I have basically softened the arrow by using the heavy point and leaving it long to where i can shoot it. I have softened it to the bow(dymanically) but the arrow is what it is and the spine is still the spine. Due to massive weight (about 400 grains) of this arrow i have a very stiff tongue on my rest.

All of this, in my opinion, has produced a rig that shoots below it's potential. It is my opinion that we are far better off going with an arrow that is correctly spined for our bows. A little soft might even be betteer than too stiff. A softer arrow will (imo) absorb small amounts of user error better than a really stiff arrow. I also believe that the bow will "cycle" better throught he shot if the arrow has the correct spine.

As mentioned above we can artificially create the "correct" spine but is that arrow bending in the right way at the right moment and in the right place? I don't believe it is.

Many of us are shooting "fat" shafts in an effort to pick up a few more points. I believe we are actually robbing ourselves of more than we gain.

I would love to hear other opinions on this.

Jorge Oliveira
March 5th, 2005, 07:43 PM
James Park, of Australia, has conducted tests concerning arrow vibration and behavior, quite different from the classical static spine theory.

His postings in the Archery Forum (http://www.archery-forum.com) states that filddling with tip weight will not change arrow behaviour at release time (will just make it bend more or less, but always with the same pattern), no matter what the tables or classic programs presents.

So, there is a right spine - and if one arrow has a wrong one, there's no way to correct it.

Unfortunatelly his data is only for Easton X10 and ACE arrows..

Common experience among shooters is that a SLIGHT overpine is better than a SLIGHT underspine.

It's quite possible that the way overspined broomstics that are becoming the norm for indoors are very much unforgiving on release errors; the above average shooter (Pro?) been able to use them but the average Joe not.

PLASTIC PAUL
March 5th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Jorge, thanks for the input and it is nice to know i am not way off on this. I am no pro but i can shoot in the 290's ona Vegas face and still think i can do better with an arrow that is better spined for my bow. I have a good friend in NY who is a solid 58X shooter on a 5 spot and he has been having similar problems with the "broom sticks".

For me, I will be shooting a smaller diameter arrow next year indoors if that is what it will take to get an arrow witht he right spine.

Hollowpoint
March 6th, 2005, 02:50 AM
I think you are right on the money with your thoughts. ;)
Too stiff will fly well, but is not near as forgiving of slight form problems as is a properly spined arrow.....and IMO you CANT break down the spine of a WAY stiff arrow with tip weight enough for low draw weights/lengths.
I KNOW this is true with fingers....with a release you have a little more room (spine-wise) to play with.

tdaward
March 6th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I'm assuming this is for a indoor set up. I'm on both sides of this fence. I don't shoot the large shafts but I do see the advantage. Yes, there is a spine to an arrow (A 2# weight hung on an arrow with a 26" span) But that has little to due with it's shootability. That's for for consistance between arrows. There is nothing wrong with putting a bunch on weight out on the front to make an arrow shoot correctly. It helps the Front of Center out greatly !!!!! That arrow shout straighten out fast and get on down to that X!!
Sounds like a good set up to me!!!!

Archersteve
March 7th, 2005, 02:57 AM
One day I had similar thoughts, so I did the unthinkable, I shot for one week with "correctly spined small arrows" and one week with "overspined fat arrows". Can you guess what I discovered?? I got higher scores with the fat shafts. ;)

Try it yourself and see, than shoot the arrow that gives you the best score. I realized that it didn't matter if I shot better. :D