PDA

View Full Version : Allegiance Tuning Question

Stonyrvr
March 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I am having trouble getting my bare shaft arrows to hit with the fletched shafts. I am left-handed, shooting 27" Gold Tip Pro hunters, 125gr tips, and my allegiance dl is 27" set at 68lbs. The bare shaft is hitting about 12" to the right of the fletched shafts at 20 yards. I have tried moving the rest both directions without much luck which leads me to believe it could be arrow spine.

I also have a bowtech extreme solo set at 66lbs shooting the same arrows and the bare shafts and fletched ones hit together.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

drjr
March 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Try shooting your 2 arrows again at 16yds. Then if they are sill hitting at different points try adding poundgage or subtracting poundage untill they hit togather. Make sure your center shot is set perfect first. I just went through this with my Old Glory.

Stonyrvr
March 8th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Drjr,
Thanks, I'll have to try that next. Since I first posted the question, I have tried a weaker spined arrow and different weight tips on the two different arrows and they all seem to pretty much hit in the same spot. What is also confusing me is that when I throw a broadhead(slick trick) on, it hits right with my field points out to 20 yards. It shouldn't be that difficult, but I have to be doing something wrong. It's supposed to warm up alittle tomorrow, I will try messing with the poundage then.

BogeyMan
March 8th, 2005, 07:32 PM
Since you are talking about the weather I assume you are shooting outside. If there is any wind at all you can pretty much hang it up till the wind is calm for bareshaft tuning. At least this is my experience.

LA

Dave Nowlin
March 9th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I have a Defender and one strange thing I have observed about the Equalizer Binary Cam bows as that they are very forgiving of spine differences when shooting field tips. Before buying my bow back in December, I shot it at the bow shop with arrows which were way overspined and underspined. I also shot arrows which were very large in diameter and arrows which were vert small in diameter. These arrows strung vertically on the target due to differences in weight but didn't vary more tha an inch and a half in horizontal dispersion. I believe I shot 9 different arrows provided by the shop owner. Todd at BowTech told me these bows behaved this way but I wanted to see for myself. These arrows were all shot on an indoor range where wind was not a factor. Mike Carter of Crter's Archery has also observed the same thing with these bows. I'm inclined to believe the problem lies elsewhere, not with the arrow spine. So far I have shot my Epsilon Medium shafts with 100, 125 & 145 grain tips and all that has changed has been vertical height. I can't explain why but I have a 2004 Justice that will not bare shaft tune. I can Super Tune with a bare shaft all the way out to 40 yards. That is at 20, 30 & 40 yards my arrows will hit the same vertical line. At 20 yards when I do this, identical fletched shafts hit the target 17 inches to the right of the bare shafts. I gave up bare shaft tuning this bow and simply Super Tuned fletched arrows all the way out to 50 yards and said, Oh well." :)
Dave Nowlin

Stonyrvr
March 9th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the replies. I really don't know what else to try since all the different weight points with different spines hit pretty much in the same spot. Perhaps I can try walk back tuning with the field points and try to get my broadheads to hit with my field points and call it good. Still, I have to be missing something. My extreme solo shoots almost as fast and that shoots bare shafts right with my field points. Thanks again for the replies.

Travis VanDaele
March 10th, 2005, 01:48 AM
Have you tried dropping your draw weight to see if this helps???

Weight your fletched shaft, add tape to the bare shaft (where the fletch was) to make up for the difference in vane weight.

Just a couple thoughts

Travis

Predator
March 10th, 2005, 02:36 PM
This sounds odd as I've also heard that these bows can shoot just about any shaft because they are so forgiving. Not sure if that's true but those are the claims and it would be pretty amazing if it were true.

Is your bow at spec?

What size pro hunters? 5575 or 7595? If they are 5575 you might be too light on the spine. GT's supposedly spine a bit on the soft side and I've heard of a lot of guys having more luck going up to the 7595's. I used 5575's last year but I had to cut them real short and use a 100 grain head with heavy quickspins on the back to get the spine right. The new Bowtechs are so fast I would think you might need to be on the heavier side with respect to spine. ??? I must admit though, that it's very strange that bh's fly with the fieldpoints yet the bare shaft is that far off. Never seen that happen - at least to that extent.

Stonyrvr
March 10th, 2005, 07:40 PM
The GT's are 75/95 and I also tried a beman hunter(400). As I mentioned earlier, I have to be missing something. I've read/heard the samething regarding how tolerant of different spines that this bow is supposed to be. That leads me to believe that I should just have to tweak the rest either left or right, but I've tried that without much luck. I will try lowering the poundage if it ever warms up a little here. The broadheads I'm using are slick tricks which I believe tune easier than a lot of broadheads and that may be why they are hitting with the field tips.

Stonyrvr
March 11th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Okay, I shot in my garage this afternoon which means I could only shoot from 10 yards but there is no wind. I tried adjusting the weight from 70 down to 64 and it didn't make any difference. Then I moved the trophy taker extended windage rest all the way out and it paper tuned good, the bare shafts entered the target straight, and the bare shafts and the fletched arrows hit in exactly the same spot. That's the good news. The bad news is that the rest is so far out that one of the arms on the rest is part way outside the shelf and I can't move my sight out far enough to match where the arrow is hitting. When I pull back it looks like the cams, especially the bottom one, are leaning real bad. But I also noticed that I have a lot of clearance between the cables and the vanes on the arrow-way more than I need. Could it be that all I need is a cable slide that isn't pulling the cables at such a severe angle? Would that lessen the lean on the cams which would in turn move the string over?