PDA

View Full Version : Pins are not lined up with arrow and string

grouse
March 6th, 2005, 01:51 PM
I paper tuned my bow the other day and was getting good holes. When I sighted it in I had to move the pins to the left of the arrow and rest. They are no longer lined up. This doesn't make sense for me. Does this mean my bow is not tuned properly?

PA.JAY
March 6th, 2005, 01:54 PM
got a mathews ?

cath8r
March 6th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I heard that Jay! ;)

grouse
March 6th, 2005, 02:11 PM
got a mathews ?

yup.

bucknasty
March 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
if you line up your string and your arrow rest your sights will generally fall about 1/4" to the left or so. generally you sight in after tuning.

1iarrowking
March 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM
;) That's normal due to the side torque of the cables, possible twist in the riser from that torque and hand torque by the shooter. If you put the bow in a Hooter Shooter and cranked it to full draw things would look a lot more lined up, although the machine wouldn't duplicate hand torque. Don't worry about it.

grouse
March 6th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Sweet! Thats good news. Thanks everyone.

Extreme,

How do you like your bowtech. I am seriously thinking about getting an extreme. is teh BH too short on this bow for an average shooter?

njshadowwalker
March 6th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Not one bow ive ever shot lines up. They are always off to the left. As long as itll group well dont worry. Just shoot it.

PA.JAY
March 6th, 2005, 03:48 PM
what really looks cool is when you arrow don't line up with the stablizer ;) then your really tuned in !

cgbowhunter
March 6th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Just got a Mathews Black Max 2 and it tunes with the sight left of the arrow. I think the "HUGE" Mathews grip is magnifying the hand torque.

grouse
March 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM
How will this affect point of impact at 40+ yards?

njshadowwalker
March 6th, 2005, 06:26 PM
It wont. As long as the bow will come clsoe to shooting a bullet hole youll be fine.

bucknasty
March 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM
dangit, it won't affect anything at 40 yds. if you're dead on at 20, back up to 30 using your 20 pin and your arrow falls directly below the dot you're shooting at, you'll be dead on at 40 with your 40 pin. if from 30 your arrow groups fall below and left of what you're aiming at with your 20 pin, your rest needs to go a bit right and vice versa. you've got to be able to shoot these distances to tune your bow to your hand torque this way though.

njshadowwalker
March 6th, 2005, 06:33 PM
dangit, it won't affect anything at 40 yds. if you're dead on at 20, back up to 30 using your 20 pin and your arrow falls directly below the dot you're shooting at, you'll be dead on at 40 with your 40 pin. if from 30 your arrow groups fall below and left of what you're aiming at with your 20 pin, your rest needs to go a bit right and vice versa. you've got to be able to shoot these distances to tune your bow to your hand torque this way though.

That says it all,

Only thing to add is that most times when you impact left/right at 40 and beyond is b/c of target panic, and hand torque b/c your trying to force the oin to stay on the bull. When you force anything you create tq. Tq equals left/right misses as does an inconsistent anchor.

Example being at 10 yards im shooting a bit high. Then at 20-25 im dead on. Aty 30 i hold 2" high and hit the mark.

40 yards i have a deidcated pin.

hoove
March 6th, 2005, 06:56 PM
The way your sight is to the left of your arrow and string in common with their bows. Every Mathews bow is off center. That comes straight from their tech!

bowbender7
March 6th, 2005, 11:02 PM
It is a common thing with all bows equiped with a cable guard (or roller)

The shorter the bow, the farther to the left your pins will be (for a r/h shooter).

Grip torque can exacerbate the problem, but the main influence is the increased tension on the bus cable at full draw pulling the guard/roller over to the centerline of the system.

Sean