PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell if its a climbing stand?

Bullets
October 24th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hey everyone! After a recent thread I started where I basically figured I was ill prepared. I've decided to start hunting craigslist for a climbing tree stand. I've found an ad where a beginning archer had bought a bow and stand and is now selling it all. He's willing to sell the stand separate from the bow but I'm unsure if its a climbing stand. I do I know for future reference if the stand is a climbing stand without asking the seller?

Here's a picture of the stand listed: Please keep in mind that I also am a new bow hunter and have never shot from a tree stand but have been in several.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss336/Mattiff77/SummitTreeStand.jpg

Cariss
October 24th, 2011, 09:35 AM
That would be a climber!

Dale_B1
October 24th, 2011, 09:36 AM
That is a climbing stand. If your that unsure of what your looking at then I would suggest that you do not buy off line. In order to buy something that can effect your life you had better be more knowledgable not only if this is what it is but is it SAFE.

DonsHarley
October 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I would also suggest you buy a good safety harness and a life line.

Bullets
October 24th, 2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! I had thought this was a climber but wanted to confirm.

That is a climbing stand. If your that unsure of what your looking at then I would suggest that you do not buy off line. In order to buy something that can effect your life you had better be more knowledgable not only if this is what it is but is it SAFE.
Hi Dale! Thanks for your input! I do agree that I should learn as much as I can before I make a purchase from craigslist. I hope that's what I'm doing here, right now with this thread. I thought I was calling on the knowledge and wisdom of more experienced people. Although I understand your point that none of you will be there when I make the purchase. But, and this is my fault, I did not disclose that used to own a manufacturing and engineering company for 10 years in Colorado which built high end robotics and automation for the food industry as well as developed technology for manufacturing ultra secure smart cards. Although I didn't think it necessary to disclose all of that, I do think it will allow me to knowledgeably look at at the tree stand in person for any metal fatigue, rust, broken welds, poor welds, broken or loose/stripped nuts bolts and screws or any other fastening device.
I don't want any of that to come off like I'm being a wise guy or smart ( . ) as I know you were only concerned about my safety and for that I'm really appreciative!!

What pointed this out as a climbing tree stand was the "V" section that "bites" into the tree and the cable above it which you wrap around the tree, is that correct? Or was it something else that pointed it out to you guys?

clarkdeer
October 24th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I guess you are unsure of the difference between a climber and a hang on. If you will do a search on the two types of stands you can find pics of each and you will be able to see the differences. Just an idea. That might be the best way for you. Kind of hard to describe but both will have a V in them. Climbers will have some type of chain or cable. Most hang ons are attached to the tree with a rachet stap.

.BuckHunt.
October 24th, 2011, 11:01 AM
I think it's actually this one (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-extreme-deluxe-climber-tree-stand.aspx?a=674534)

I have this stand and it works well, altho it is a bit cramped for my 6' 2".

Bullets
October 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I think it's actually this one (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-extreme-deluxe-climber-tree-stand.aspx?a=674534)

I have this stand and it works well, altho it is a bit cramped for my 6' 2".

Thanks BuckHunt! Did you notice how the link says "roomy" LOL. I'm glad you said that because I'm 6'3" 230lbs and hate being cramped. I've actually thought maybe I should get a two person stand but I know I'll want to move the stand so moving a two person would probably be frustrating. BTW, the craigslist advertisement says this is a Summit tree stand. Looks like a pretty old summit stand from what I can tell but of course I can be wrong. I'm trying to stick with Summit brand because they seem to be a better brand and people seem to take care of them meaning to me that I should be able to get a used one in good shape.

Bullets
October 24th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Oh for the record, I will be getting a safety harness without a doubt before I go up in any stand again. I've done it before without a harness because I had thought my friend had two, he didn't, and we were all ready out there so I did it and regretted it the moment I got up there. I did a lot of praying that day!

WhitBri
October 24th, 2011, 11:20 AM
One thing to make sure to look for in climbers is weight. Often times the cheaper ones are extremely heavy, sometimes 30lbs which doesn't sound like much until you strap it on and hike a mile. I would look at trying to find one at 20lbs or under if you plan to hike much, now you often time lose some comfort and size to drop the pounds but its worth it.
http://www.timbertalloutfitters.com/prod_display.asp?1
These stands are spendy but you get two huge benefits, one lightweight, two they are adjustable while in the tree, which unless you've used a climber you don't understand as well. With most stands you set the stand angle at the ground and as most trees grow they get smaller as you get up, well this means you have to guess how big the tree will be when you get up there. If you don't get it right you have a stand tipping back or forward when you get there, miss it by too much and you have to climb back down, adjust and climb back up which is a pain. With the adjustment you don't have to do that. I don't own one but my Dad does and loves it, I will own one when I get more money

.BuckHunt.
October 24th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Thanks BuckHunt! Did you notice how the link says "roomy" LOL. I'm glad you said that because I'm 6'3" 230lbs and hate being cramped. I've actually thought maybe I should get a two person stand but I know I'll want to move the stand so moving a two person would probably be frustrating. BTW, the craigslist advertisement says this is a Summit tree stand. Looks like a pretty old summit stand from what I can tell but of course I can be wrong. I'm trying to stick with Summit brand because they seem to be a better brand and people seem to take care of them meaning to me that I should be able to get a used one in good shape.

Yea now that I'm looking more closely at it I can see that it's not the same one from sportsmansguide. Similar though, and the bar on the top half appears to be about the same which on mine really gets in the way of the knees.

Buster of Xs
October 24th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Put as simply as possible....if it has two sections, one clearly a seat and one clearly a standing platform, then it's a climbing stand. If it's one piece, both seat and platform, or if it has a ladder attached it's not a climber.

Bullets
October 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Put as simply as possible....if it has two sections, one clearly a seat and one clearly a standing platform, then it's a climbing stand. If it's one piece, both seat and platform, or if it has a ladder attached it's not a climber.

That does help! Thanks!!!