PDA

View Full Version : arrow tailwhip

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 11:44 AM
i seem to be getting a tailwhip i shooting with a muzzy zerow rest i am clearing the rest im thinking it's my arrows they are gold tip hunter 7595s 29.5" long my draw is 29 and weight is 78# should i cut the arrows shorter just so my heads clear? right now they are about 1.5" past my riser and i can go back about 2" more to the middle of my riser with no clearing issues so that will be around 27" arrow. what do you think?

Jorge Oliveira
March 8th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Your arrows are underspined for your bow.

Do you really NEED to shot 78#?

Back up your bow to some 72#, with that you still can kill anything and your aiming will be a breeze...

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 12:37 PM
should i cut the arrows to would that make it any better?

littlebubba
March 8th, 2005, 01:36 PM
I agree with the previous post. You don't need that much poundage. Back it off and yes it will help to cut the arrows shorter. I would think that your arrows are cut for your draw length already. If you have room to cut them shorter why are they so long. Remember the shorter the arrow the less control and accuracy.
Bubba

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 01:54 PM
why are they so long. Remember the shorter the arrow the less control and accuracy.
Bubba
that is why they are so long! the shop just put my new string and cables on and maxed out the limbs like they were when i gave it to them befor the string and cable were put on my bow was maxed out at 72# i didnt know it would chang the weight with new strings/c i checked the weight at my buddys house yesterday and found out they were 78# we tryed to back the down but the hex screw for the limb pocket locks (hoyt) striped so i have to make do till i can get that fixed. thats why i was going to shorten the arrows if it would have helped....

Jeebus Kliest
March 8th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I would see what you can do to change that limb bolt so you can adjust the weight. Dremel can do wonders.

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 02:41 PM
you think if i just loosen the one bolt then try to back them off would that hurt anything?

Ohio
March 8th, 2005, 03:10 PM
if you take the load of off the limbs you should have better luck getting the bolts loose .. im not a bow wiz..just a tool & die maker an have found that when a bolt is under load it is a whole lot more stubborn..good luck

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 04:05 PM
when i adjusting the weight can i just lossen one limb because my tiller is off just a bit and that will fix the tiller issue and the weight issue at the same time cause my oweners manual says when adjusting weight to adjust both limbs.

Hollowpoint
March 8th, 2005, 05:27 PM
You are WAY underspined, and cutting them a little will help but not much.
I'd have someone who knows whats going on measure your new strings....sounds like your cables are TOO shot, or strings too long. :rolleyes:

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 06:19 PM
how am i under spined that is the arrow the gold tip chart says to use

xTravisx
March 8th, 2005, 06:26 PM
james, download the TAP demo at http://www.thearcheryprogram.com/demo.html
It's more accurate than Gold Tips chart. I was having somewhat of the same problem at 60lbs shooting the 5575s and TAP said i was underspined.

Jorge Oliveira
March 8th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Or get the Easton shaft selector program (and use the spine values for any other brand...)

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

The tables are very coarse...

jamestheron
March 8th, 2005, 06:35 PM
i went to easton and i dont understand this stuff and i dont think my proshop has a clue either and that is the only one open till the season starts and the sad thing is out of my friends i know the most :confused: :eek:

littlebubba
March 8th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Don't cut you arrows to quickly. The new string and cables are going to stretch which will change everything. One more question. What is the max weight the bow is rated for. Should be posted on the inside of the limb. If it is rated for 80 lbs. everything should be ok with the new string. If it is rated for 70 lbs. the new string may not be correct. You will be amazed at what 1/2 in. mistake in the length of a string will make. Make sure that the shop put on the correct length.
Bubba

Hollowpoint
March 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM
how am i under spined that is the arrow the gold tip chart says to use
They have a spine of .340", way soft for 78#'s and 29.5".
If you are going to stay over 70#'s, I would shoot the 22 series, or the Ultra Light 300's......both spine at .300". :)

jamestheron
March 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
what do i set my weight to shoot my same arrows but at 28" long? my strings are pre stretched

Dave Nowlin
March 9th, 2005, 05:35 PM
First I would go to the shop that installed the strings and have them replace the limb bolt. Then I would tell them the bow maxed out at 72# before the string was stretched and ask them to return the bow to that spec without loosening the limb bolts. If they can't the string or cable length is incorrect. If they sold you the strings and cables they should be responsible for making things right. I f they installed incorrect strings or cables they should replace them free of charge. If they won't you should consider carrying your business elsewhere. They should have checked draw weight and other parameters before changing the string and cables and they should have restored your bow to those specs. Don't be nasty with them as we are all human and make mistakes, but don't let them run over you either. Be courteous but firm. This transaction should in the end help you find out whether or not you should do business with them in the future.
Please keep us posted, as there may be other customer of that shop using this forum, who would like to know how this all works out. The internet is a powerful tool which can help us all patronize those shops who treat their customers fairly and help us all steer clear of shops who don't. After all don't we all want to help honest, helpful archery shops and put the other kind out of business so they can't cheat those who are a little less savy?
If this sport is to grow, we must try to help neophytes to this sport have good positive experiences as they purchase equipment and get started in this sport. Remember there is strength in numbers, and the more of us there are the more clout we have. :)
Dave Nowlin

jamestheron
March 9th, 2005, 06:37 PM
All is good now the strings i ordered from here they are fine they replaced the bolt and ajusted the strings and weight to 72" and cut my arrows to 28" no charge very nice people thanks for all your guys help im glad to know you guys are just a click away thanks.